Signature wargear question

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Randomfist

Randomfist

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

I have a question about getting the signature wargear talents.  Is the reason the signature wargear (basic) talent listed at rank 1 and rank 5 because this allows you to get two pieces of signature wargear?  Also, under the talent description for signature wargear (hero) it states that a marine can get this talent multiple times in accordance with his career advances.  Is that what the label (any) means where it is listed under the rank 7 advances? 

#2 Umbranus

Umbranus

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:58 PM

The Tech-Marine for example gets sig-wargear hero (artificer armor) at rank 4. But he could still use his rank 5 sig-wargear hero for something else, too.

#3 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:51 AM

Randomfist said:

Is the reason the signature wargear (basic) talent listed at rank 1rank 5 because this allows you to get two pieces of signature wargear? 

Yes

Randomfist said:

Also, under the talent description for signature wargear (hero) it states that a marine can get this talent multiple times in accordance with his career advances. Is that what the label (any) means where it is listed under the rank 7 advances? 

Yes

#4 Fabian

Fabian

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:47 AM

Remember though Talents can be given as rewards. Signature wargear seems like one that could out , like given a relic after a heroic victory (hero grade wargear). The other common rewardpunishment is the peer/rival talents.  Which is why I think they put the extra line in there, plus other advance careers have more Signature wargear like the Deathwatch Champion in RoB. It has two hero level wargear one for weaponone for armor.

#5 Randomfist

Randomfist

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:58 AM

Thanks for responding, it's helped a lot.  Does this also mean that one could never get terminator armor as signature wargear as one must spend a minimum of 100 points (60 for armor, 40 for weapons) on itcan one take it as hero wargear (armor only)use 40 requisition from the mission allowance to round out the 100?

#6 Siranui

Siranui

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:04 AM

In theory you could... just buy a storm bolterpowersword as your two other wargear slots, leaving one for the 60 point suit of terminator armour.

On the other hand, right-thinking GM'sPlayers would probably not do so... although for varying reasons. 

As a player, it's a poor idea, as there will be a *large* number of scenarios where it's just not practical to use. And as you can only get Artificer armour as wargear,NOT via requisition points, this means that you've just got standard power armour for those missions. Whereas someone 'buying' artificer armour can then just requisition terminator armour as required.

As a GM there is more than enough grounds for saying 'no'. Terminator armour is supposed to be very rarevaluable. Given that the Deathwatch have a very limited number of suitsa large number of Marines, it makes little sense for them to ring-fence a suit for someone to borrow on a permanent basis. Much more sensible for them to just loan it out to whoever needs it the most, instead of letting someone hog it!

#7 MexicanNinja

MexicanNinja

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:23 AM

Man, terminator armour for signature wargear, that's intense.  And here i was thinking of getting a Storm BolterPowerfist as signature wargear.

#8 Randomfist

Randomfist

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:15 PM

So barring any legit GM limitations on such, termie armor is a go for signature wargear.  Hmm.....

#9 SubtleCadaver

SubtleCadaver

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:47 PM

Ch'yeah, then there are scenarios where you can't even use it (ie: ones where you need to be sneaky,fast).

#10 Siranui

Siranui

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:58 PM

Randomfist said:

So barring any legit GM limitations on such, termie armor is a go for signature wargear.  Hmm.....

I seriously wouldn't, though. Not only for the commons sense reason, but also because for at least 50% of missions it's going to be a 'no' on practicality,that might be annoying for the player. Plus it completely rules out the chance of getting artificer armour (which you CAN use all the time,is awesome).

#11 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:12 AM

Randomfist said:

Such as your character actually earning his Crux Terminatus. Which is both an honor (given to space marines who have proven themselves, veterans), as well as an identifier (all marines gifted a Crux is instructed in the use of terminator armor, marines are not trained in terminator armor until they have proven themselves worthy of the Crux - see previous).

#12 TormDK

TormDK

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:24 AM

Doesn't the rules say that you cannot buy Terminator armour alone, but that you must spend requisition to arm it as well?

As a GM in my game group for Deathwatch we're not quite up to that standard yet, but I would not allow the brothers to roll around in terminator armour as wargear. There are very few if any tabletop models that only have terminator armour as their only option,as such I don't see the signature wargear being used for terminator armour.

But if there's a high munchkin attitude in your gaming group I would say go for it, whatever makes youthe players have a good time :)

#13 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:35 AM

TormDK said:

Doesn't the rules say that you cannot buy Terminator armour alone, but that you must spend requisition to arm it as well?

It does indeed say that, so you can't get Terminator armour unless you can afford to arm it as well.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#14 TormDK

TormDK

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:38 AM

I suppose it depends on how the GM views the talent  and the following requisition.

A : As part of awhole (Player can use the talent for basic terminator armour,then spend req on arming it from the normal req pool)

B : As different parts. (Cost of terminator+arming must come from a single source)

I'm more of a B person myself. Otherwise I would suspect that most games would end up in a kill team running around in terminator armour. Which is fine if your group is into that sort of thing :) But it's not where I'm wanting to go with the group I GM for.

#15 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:35 AM

TormDK said:

I suppose it depends on how the GM views the talent  and the following requisition.

A : As part of awhole (Player can use the talent for basic terminator armour,then spend req on arming it from the normal req pool)

B : As different parts. (Cost of terminator+arming must come from a single source)

I'm more of a B person myself. Otherwise I would suspect that most games would end up in a kill team running around in terminator armour. Which is fine if your group is into that sort of thing :) But it's not where I'm wanting to go with the group I GM for.

The rules for Terminator Armour state you must arm your armour at the same time as acquiring it. Therefore, if you are trying to get it as a piece of signature war gear, the requisition points for the armourweapons must come at the same time. Since that can't happen with Signature Wargear, due to the combined requisition being too much to get the armourarm it at the same time, you can't get it with Signature Wargear.

It's pretty simple.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#16 Fabian

Fabian

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:35 PM

Part of the 100 point cost of termy armor is the weapons.  When you "buy" the armor its really 60 points with 40 for weapons at a minimum. I think what they are getting at is using a sig wargear for a storm bolter, master for powerfist,hero for the termy armor.

#17 Seianus

Seianus

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:40 PM

So, wait....if I just bought a Back Banner at Rank 1 with the Signature Wargear Talent, I cannot purchase the same Talent again  while still rank 1 to get a bolter thus having 2 pieces of Signature Wargear?

#18 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:26 AM

Fabian said:

Part of the 100 point cost of termy armor is the weapons.  When you "buy" the armor its really 60 points with 40 for weapons at a minimum. I think what they are getting at is using a sig wargear for a storm bolter, master for powerfist,hero for the termy armor.

It's not a straight 100 point cost, it states you must also spend a MINIMUM of 40 requisition (on top of the 60 req to get the armour) to arm it, using the requisition costs of the weapons that are on the list of Terminator compatible weapons.

For 40 requisition, the most you can get is a power sword and a storm bolter. It costs increasingly more to get the other gear.

Basically, you can't get Terminator armour with Signature Wargear.

#19 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:29 AM

Seianus said:

So, wait....if I just bought a Back Banner at Rank 1 with the Signature Wargear Talent, I cannot purchase the same Talent again  while still rank 1 to get a bolter thus having 2 pieces of Signature Wargear?

Unless stated, you can only buy a talent/skill in your advance tree once. If you've already used it to get a Back Banner, you'll have to wait until Signature Wargear is available to you again.

#20 sgtgrarm

sgtgrarm

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:06 AM

MILLANDSON said:

Seianus said:

Unless stated, you can only buy a talent/skill in your advance tree once. If you've already used it to get a Back Banner, you'll have to wait until Signature Wargear is available to you again.

See Rank 1 Sound Constitution - it has the (x2) in brackets meaning you can take it more than once - sig wargear doesn not, ergo can only take it once.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS