19 replies to this topic

#1 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:52 AM

Hi guys,

This is my take on 10 of the 12 Mephisto Character Cards. The artwork is the same but the design of the characters is 100% my own. You are free to print them for your own use, but you cannot sell them or distribute them through any source. Image Copyright: FFG & Mephisto!

db.tt/9pE71Eu

Regards,

Ell.

#2 The Wizard

The Wizard

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:08 PM

Very nice Ell. I think your versions are much better than the originals, but im still not a big fan of good characters attacking in psychic combat  ( maybe the exorcist).

Plz. do the last two characters.

Best regards

#3 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:34 AM

No reason why good characters shouldn't be able to attack in psychic combat. The Exorcist, Illusionist and Martyr can attack in psychic combat as it fits in with the overall design of their characters!

Ell.

#4 The Wizard

The Wizard

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

talismanamsilat said:

No reason why good characters shouldn't be able to attack in psychic combat. The Exorcist, Illusionist and Martyr can attack in psychic combat as it fits in with the overall design of their characters!

Ell.

No, but none of the good characters so far can attack in psychic combat, only evil ones. It seems to be more of an evil ability, like good characters have their praying bonus. But maybe thats just how i see it.

I still like your characters though. Really good work and i´ll try them out for sure.

Regards

#5 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:07 AM

The Wizard said:

I still like your characters though. Really good work and i´ll try them out for sure.

Regards

Yeah, looking good.

Alex

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#6 RogueFan

RogueFan

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:05 PM

Is there a certain program you use to make the cards? If so plz tell me.

#7 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:38 AM

i like some of the changes. especially the goblin shaman, and shape shifter.

#8 Thels

Thels

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

Interesting character concepts. Seems you have thought them out well, and didn't want to just powerboost them, like I see happening to some custom characters. I do agree with the others that the ability to choose Psychic Combat is an Evil kind of ability, though it's not a very bad thing.

However, may I make a suggestion about the Apprentice Mage?

Whenever you cast a Spell (except for the Command Spell), you must roll 1 die:
1) The Spell explodes and you lose 1 life
2-3) The Spell misfires and has no effect
4-6) The Spell functions as normal
When you have at least 7 Craft, you become a skilled Mage and do not need to roll a die.

The 7 Craft feels very arbitrary and like a sudden jump in power. Wouldn't it be nicer if she improved more gradually? For example:

Whenever you cast a Spell (except for the Command Spell), you must roll 1 die and add your current Craft to the roll:
1-5) The Spell explodes and you lose 1 life
6-7) The Spell misfires and has no effect
8+) The Spell functions as normal

She feels weak. Below average scores, and a penalty to her spellcasting. However, the ability to pick from two spells and thereby reducing the chance for her to get stuck during spell-cycling could perhaps be very powerful and easily make up for it.

#9 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:35 AM

The juggler and the courtisan are not in the document.

Elliot, have you finish those characters already?

#10 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:14 AM

dl.dropbox.com/u/9409455/Mephisto%20Character%20Cards.pdf

Updated file with minor changes, including the Jester. The Courtesan will follow shortly.

dl.dropbox.com/u/9409455/Pathfinder.pdf

My final take on Jon New's Pathfinder - a big thank you to Jon for allowing me to edit his character!

Ell.

#11 Daefaroth

Daefaroth

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:24 AM

Regarding the Martyr's 3rd ability; the use of the singular 'die' could be read to exclude multiple dice prayers like at the temple.  Was that intentional or a side effect of the wording?

#12 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:24 AM

@Elliot,

I was just wondering about this, but i assume that the Goblin shaman can enslave all sorts of goblins so they become followers?..

I am talking about goblin snipers, snow goblins, goblin marauders etc...

Pretty cool abillity, together with his trophy stealing..

Have you playtest him already?

#13 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:51 PM

Daefaroth said:

Regarding the Martyr's 3rd ability; the use of the singular 'die' could be read to exclude multiple dice prayers like at the temple.  Was that intentional or a side effect of the wording?

Yes it was intentional. It matches the wording on the Knight, Monk & Priest characters.

Ell.

#14 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

We have decided to delete the trophy stealing and the fate curse ability's from the Gobllin Shaman.

He is still a very good character with his goblin follower ability.

Anyway, thanks for sharing those idea's with us elliot

It looks more fun to play with him now..

Let's go inside the dungeon..

#15 domFR

domFR

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:09 AM

Hi, a little question about the Gambler, my bro made me re-roll by paying a Fate, that's his first ability, but I had a Fate too and since I didn't pay for this dice, I used the common rule and used a Fate to re-roll the 2nd roll the gambler made me do. Was it ok to do this ?

One more question about Elliott's version of Jon New's Pathfinder, say you rolled a 5 in the Crags.. you can't add 2 with your first ability since it would be a 7 and the space only mention 1) to 6)  ? or do you consider that it is as if it would be written 6+) to win a Force ?

Thanks

#16 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:35 AM

domFR said:

Hi, a little question about the Gambler, my bro made me re-roll by paying a Fate, that's his first ability, but I had a Fate too and since I didn't pay for this dice, I used the common rule and used a Fate to re-roll the 2nd roll the gambler made me do. Was it ok to do this ?

The way we play it is, that the fortune knight can always choose to use his ability on his opponent by paying 1 fate, but the other player can always use a fate as stated in the normal rules.

#17 domFR

domFR

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:37 AM

Ok.

A new review on the Genie (elliot's one) ... He is almost invicible.. and that leads to situation like the one we experienced last game we had, here it is :

the Apprentice Mage (elliot's version) reached the crown of command after like 3h gameplay, then the Martyr eventually died from the CoC spell.. but the Genie has been ok for almost an hour, just roaming around the board, alone, having fun... improving his char, gaining items and stat points.. 1 hour ! The mage was just, as the rules states, using the CoC spell ... rolling a dice ..not really fun.. while the Genie was discarding trophies and trophies and trophies.. almost infinite lifes ! ...one hour of "solo" playing.. it was almost a disadvantage for the Apprentice to have reached the end space ! ...finally the Genie reached the Apprentice Mage and hopefully for the Mage, made a mistake by using the "bad luck" (black cat) spell on someone who had the sword of truth (stupid move!).. which made him get a 6 since 1 on dice (by the cat) made him get a lower attack dice than the Genious.. thus he took the best object of the Genious and finally won because the Genious wasn't able to get infinite life with trophies..

not really fun, super boring.

#18 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:30 AM

domFR said:

not really fun, super boring.

It might not just be about the characters in question. The standard CoC ending is rather boring no matter what after many games.  But it can be the fastest ending if modified to a "King of the Hill, Conditional" approach. This tends to level the playing field in that last (supposedly) 10% of the game. And if the ending goes beyond 10% of total game time, then you know something more is wrong.

KotHC

1. When one character is on the CoC alone, it may use the CoC Spell normally. All other characters have one more turn to get into the Inner Region.
  2. If any other character enters and remains in the Inner Region, play continues normally until 1) only one character is on the CoC and 2) no other characters are inside the Inner Region. If these two conditions are met, then return to rule 1.
  3. When one character is on the CoC, and all other characters have had a turn and none have entered and remain in the Inner Region, the character on the CoC is declared the winner.

Under these conditions, the Genie would have had to run to challenge the Mage... instead of just wandering about. The CoC is flawed in that once you gain it, you are stuck there if you want to win in trying to bump off the other characters. Meanwhile many such characters (not just the Genie) have the chance to beef up more if they survive as well... and it happens more often than people think. Perhaps that's the inherent trick in not going for the CoC too soon and then getting rubbed out. But the mechanics don't often work out that way, and the endgame gets tedious.

And honestly, the more overgunned characters used in a game, the more often this is the case.

#19 domFR

domFR

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for your infos JCHendee. This sounds interesting and we'll test this ending as it seems to be an improvement of the original one and prevent such weird situations as the "invincible genie" playing alone.

#20 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:30 PM

I was just wondering about that word( engaged)  (as it is use as: when you are engaged in battle etc.

If a card is saying this, does this mean that it will be use before the first step of evading, or after the spells are resolved.., that leads to the attack rolls

Battle has some following steps, but evade is already the first step, so i am a bit confused..

I was just looking at the official text from the martyress, and when she is involved in a battle (engaged?) she can sacrifice a life.

I assume that she must do it after the spells are resolved?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS