Issues with trauma cards

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kazi

Kazi

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:37 PM

I gave a character kleptomania, one thing the card does allow the player to do, which I don't agree with, is to drop items. This seems to go against the purpose of the card (though it does require another investigator to use an action to pick the dropped item up). While I went by what was written on the card it still bugged me. Do you think this was just an oversight or a way of balancing out this card?

I really don't have any other issues with them that I can think of right now, but I thought I'd make the topic fairly general so different issues with trauma cards could be posted here, not just my problem with Kleptomania.

#2 CraggleRock

CraggleRock

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:30 PM

I think there is a balancing issue, and don't forget that both investigators need to use an action to exchange items in this way: one for the person dropping it and one for the person picking it up.  I also don't feel it is too far out flavour-wise: the urge brought on by the trauma is mostly a desire to steal, not the avarice of wanting to keep the item.  I believe many kleptomaniacs will steal very inconsequential items that are easily affordable just because of their compulsion, not through any desire for the item, and may not even be aware of the theft.  In fact, the part that doesn't really fit with the flavour is the prevention of the investigator giving items back.

#3 Sagremor

Sagremor

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

Kazi said:

I really don't have any other issues with them that I can think of right now

Unfortunatelly, I do. You can play Trauma card when the investigator's sanity or health has to or below the number depicted on the card, but some Trauma cards don't have numbers. Does it mean that I can play them any time the investigator takes damage or horror? Or should I treat it as a card with number 1 (There are no Trauma cards with number 1 and there is one health or sanity symbol depicted on the card)?

#4 Acererak

Acererak

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:48 PM

Sagremor said:

Kazi said:

I really don't have any other issues with them that I can think of right now

Unfortunatelly, I do. You can play Trauma card when the investigator's sanity or health has to or below the number depicted on the card, but some Trauma cards don't have numbers. Does it mean that I can play them any time the investigator takes damage or horror? Or should I treat it as a card with number 1 (There are no Trauma cards with number 1 and there is one health or sanity symbol depicted on the card)?

If they have no number, you can play them anytime the investigator takes damage or horror

#5 Hunicron

Hunicron

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

I have a question about the Kleptomania card. The "that is also mine" part. The player always (in every trading step) has to take a tradeable card from an other player, or just once when he recieves the card?

#6 MaddockKrug

MaddockKrug

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

Hi.

Hunicron said:

I have a question about the Kleptomania card. The "that is also mine" part. The player always (in every trading step) has to take a tradeable card from an other player, or just once when he recieves the card?

Don't confuse the "fluff-text" with the "rule-body". In the rule-body it says that you may not give anything away, but you must take an item from one of the investigators, if this is possible. And this is valid for as long as the trauma-card is on the investigator. It is a disadvantage, an insanity the investigator is suffering.

If this was different and the investigator was supposed to "steal" only once, then the card would have mentioned it and how it would have to be played; but actually this makes no sense since the Keeper would not be able to play this trauma-card on the trading step, because during this step no investigator would receive any damage.

All the best!

Mad

For GM: Mad's Adventure, Adventure Hooks, NPCs, and Locations - same at RPGGEEK

SW, to me, is a Spaghetti Western with space ships for horses. No matter what you do it causes a problem.  You just might save the day.  Crazy heroics and adventure!

#7 Hunicron

Hunicron

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:17 AM

Hi!

Thank you for the quick answer! If we put it this way, it seems very logical. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS