• 480 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:22 PM

Rich Widow
---------------------
Type: Character
Cost: 1
Skill: 1
Subtype: Lodge.
Game Text: Response: After a character leaves play, put Rich Widow into play.

(v1.0) Working Effects
In general, Support and Character card effects
can only be triggered (or affect the game) when
the card is in play. Event cards can be triggered
from a player’s hand using an action. However,
card effects on non-event cards in a player’s
hand or discard pile are not considered to be
actionable unless the card specifically states
that it can be triggered while in its out-of-play
state.

Has anyone had any luck getting a clarification from FFG?  They obviously did not intentionally print a blank card, but...

#2 KallistiBRC

KallistiBRC

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:13 PM

Tokhuah said:

Rich Widow
-
Type: Character
Cost: 1
Skill: 1
Subtype: Lodge.
Game Text: Response: After a character leaves play, put Rich Widow into play.

(v1.0) Working Effects
In general, Support and Character card effects
can only be triggered (or affect the game) when
the card is in play. Event cards can be triggered
from a player’s hand using an action. However,
card effects on non-event cards in a player’s
hand or discard pile are not considered to be
actionable unless the card specifically states
that it can be triggered while in its out-of-play
state.

Has anyone had any luck getting a clarification from FFG?  They obviously did not intentionally print a blank card, but...

I'm pretty sure this is handled by the very rule you quoted and falls under "states that it can be triggered while in its out of play state."  Since the effect that you trigger is to put it into play, by the very definition it is coming into play from an out of play state (in this case hand).  

#3 AUCodeMonkey

AUCodeMonkey

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:03 AM

Agree with Kallisti. In another example, The Thing Behind You! most certainly has an Action that you may use while it is in your hand i.e. while it is in an out of play area, as does Dreamland Fanatic and the 2 new Yog cards in this most recent cycle that I can't seem to remember the names of...

#4 Tokhuah

Tokhuah

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:57 AM

Here is an example of card text that muddies the effect for me:

Response: After you drain a domain to which Furtive Zoog is attached as a resource, unattach Furtive Zoog from that domain and put it into play.

If one were to rules lawyer that she can only play Rich Widow from hand what would be the reason her ability would not trigger as a resource or from the discard pile?

SIDE NOTE @ KallistiBRC: A group of us are applying to have the NoCal Regional.  Q1: would your group be in? Q2: We want to run a 3 TO system so everyone can play: Do you have an interest in being part of the on floor rules committee?  If yes to one or both I will connect with you offline by PM...

#5 KallistiBRC

KallistiBRC

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

Re: Tok

In response to Widow, I'd say that from the domain wouldn't work due to the specific rule that cards don't have textboxes while attached to the domain.  But as written, I'd say that unfortunately it does allow it to action from the discard as well as the hand.  Horribly written card / rule. 

They could fix the card by adding "from hand".  They could fix the rule by saying the card has to say which out of state area it comes from (although that would effectively blank this card).  They should probably fix both the card and the rule.

As for regionals.  I'd be interested in doing both.  I'm pretty sure at least one of the guys from my playgroup would like to go as well.

#6 Tokhuah

Tokhuah

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:38 AM

I received an official word on Rich Widow.  Since questions about her have been asked here and in General, and I believe General has a higher readership, I will post it in a new thread there...

#7 TheProfessor

TheProfessor

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:37 AM

a.  Thanks for following up and getting the offiicial response

b.  Good idea wanting to only post in a single place

c.  I would have posted a rules clarification in the Rules sub-forum, not in the busier more chaotic General, but maybe that's just me.

Regardless, thanks!  

#8 Tokhuah

Tokhuah

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:59 AM

Here is the thread:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=35&efcid=4&efidt=460212

RE: Where I Posted

I was a bit torn but I thought more people would stroll through General than rules so it would hit more of a mass audience.  It would be helpful if the powers that be would give one of us forum regulars an administrative privilege limited to posting "official" rulings as a sticky thread at the top of the Rules forum in between FAQ's.  More people might visit here if they knew there was an easy access point.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS