Question re: "All Alone"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DHFrew3

DHFrew3

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:27 AM

The Trauma card "All Alone" says that: "Each time you enter a room containing another investigator, or one enters your room, test your Willpower.  Fail: Take 1 Horror."

I had two investigators walking through a mansion essentially hand-in-hand when I gave one of them this card.  Is there ANY way for them to stay together and not be triggering this card almost every turn?  It seems silly for one investigator to be making a Willpower check almost every turn solely because the game mechanics require one invesitagor to move AND THEN the other one to move, when in reality they would be walking together.

The compromise we came up with was to forego the Willpower checks as long as the two investigators were never more than one space apart.  So, the one investigator stayed sane at the cost of severely slowing down the movement for the pair of them.

Any comments?

Thanks, Don

#2 Elbi

Elbi

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:49 AM

Umm, isn't that the reason "All Alone" exists? To split up those nasty groups of investigators, making them more prone to, say, a surprise Maniac?
Keeping them closer together is essentially the exact opposite of what the card tries to accomplish.
It's about splitting them up, not bundling them together.

Investigators being hit by "All Alone" will have to adapt their play style and plans on the fly, causing errors or slowing them down. Just what the Keeper wants :)

#3 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:46 PM

My first reaction reading that was like Don, imagining it was about "punishing you for being alone", but I think Elbi has it in that it's really about "you want to be alone, you don't trust the others anymore".

Rob

#4 DHFrew3

DHFrew3

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:27 PM

OK, I buy that.  Thanks.

#5 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:11 PM

Yep, it's as Elbi says. They've gotten an insanity which makes them suspect their allies and want to be alone. Mechanics-wise, its used to provide incentive for the investigators to split up, as they are usually most dangerous when they are together.

#6 Elbi

Elbi

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:22 PM

Yeah, I was expecting something like "You are alone, therefore you're afraid" too when I read the card's name, but then the exact opposite happens. D'uh!

The way I think about the insanity "All Alone" causes is like the one in "I Am Legend". When the "lone survivor" meets other people s/he goes crazy (more so than before) because there is absolutely no way someone else could be alive, since they're all dead, devoured, just fragments of his/her memory. That'd explain the Horror caused by seeing someone alive, imho.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS