Question about Summoners

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Trian

Trian

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:42 AM

So far I've been going through the main book, and I was wondering. Do you need to make the summoners yourself? Or is there a place for possible summons? Besides the Arcanas

#2 Trian

Trian

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:05 AM

I couldn't find where to modify my previous post if there is one. I had one other questions, do summons level up like characters?

#3 hellgeist

hellgeist

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:27 AM

Trian said:

So far I've been going through the main book, and I was wondering. Do you need to make the summoners yourself? Or is there a place for possible summons? Besides the Arcanas

If you allow Summoners in your campaign, I would strongly suggest you create a folio of standard summonable creatures. The game does not come with this, though it will probably be in the magic supplement, if it ever makes it to english.

For structure, I just went to another game supplement (earlier post on this subject)  that had a very detailed and balanced demon system, and translated some of them into level 1 to 3 creatures for Anima. Unique grimoires may contain knowledge of how to summon unique beings, but adding those is up to you, as you have time.

Its work, but that is what the GM has to do. 

#4 hellgeist

hellgeist

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:31 AM

Trian said:

I couldn't find where to modify my previous post if there is one. I had one other questions, do summons level up like characters?

Generally, they only level up with the summoner if they are bound familiars. However, if a summoner is somehow able to survive with the same summoned creature for long enough, it may gain experience. While bound, a demon cannot gain exp. Keep in mind - unless its soul bound as a familiar (very difficult process), any summoned creature is NOT going to want to hang around serving for very long, and will do what they can to regain their freedom - some more viciously than others.

#5 Trian

Trian

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:41 AM

Thank you, I've been wondering about this for a while but I couldn't find anything too specific. Any tips on how to create them? I did see the creature creation thing in the back of the book should I use that? Or do you still reccomend I use the other one you mentioned?

#6 hellgeist

hellgeist

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:01 AM

Well, you start with an idea of what the creature should be like, the powers it should have, what its called, etc. and then use the creator in the back of the book to match those abilities with DP. That is how any created being is brought about, they can be created just like characters, so 400dp for level 0, 600 for lvl 1, etc. There are costs for assigning the primary attributes for str, agi, etc. and what form it takes - ie: large size, spirit form, natural weapons like claws, etc.

You can build any type of creature or being with the rules in that section.

#7 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:15 AM

I am really torn as to whether I want so sort of collection of summoned creatures for summoners.  On one hand it would save the GM a lot of work, but on the other hand it could be easily abused.  It wouldn't take long before, even the most mild of power games to find the "best" creatures for their level.  I do not consider myself a munchkin, but I would find it a hard temptation to resist.

Without a book of summoning creatures, it leaves the Player and the GM free to come up with some really cool creatures.  with really unique feels.

As a GM (I have not started my game yet) I plan to allow my players to describe in 100% non-game terms what it is they are summoning.  They tell me the fluff and then I will build them.  I also will likely put in a few surprisses depending on the PC's arcane skill.

I expect this to be a really cool dynamic, but it will take more work on my part.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#8 Ryoto

Ryoto

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

Hmm, im now in the problem of summoners too. I was wondering if i can use as summons creatures, which starts in chapter on page 297 in Core Book, or i really must as GM to create them? (i dont see any problem in creation of summons, but im just wondering about this option of creatures in this chapter)

#9 F3nr1s

F3nr1s

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:11 PM

I don't find the text, but AFAIR you can summon, bind, control and banish every creature, which is a "between the world" or "spiritual" (with some exceptions, which IMO someone should be able to summon or who someone should make a pact (great beasts/aeons for example)).

So, most creatures of the creature chapter can be summoned. So, you can try to summon a Luminary (Between the world), but not a Lagor (Natural).

So long,

#10 Ryoto

Ryoto

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

Thank you for answer, it sounds logicaly. :) 

#11 Lia Valenth

Lia Valenth

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

There are not that many in the main book, so there are a few home made ones floating around. However, now that Those who Walked Amongst Us is out there are a lot more things for Summoners to work with.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS