Multiple investigators per player

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kanageddaamen

kanageddaamen

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:50 AM

Does anyone see a reason why having players play multiple investigators would be an issue?

My usual gaming group played 2 games last night, but we were short one of our usual players, and none of the occasionals showed up (leaving three of us.)  I really enjoyed the game, but found both the keeper and the investigators a bit restricted because of the decreased action options available to them with a smaller number of investigators.  I definitely think the game will be more fun with 4 (and even 3) investigators.

Since one of the regulars missed the game, I was going to run the story I was the keeper for with him (with the same queestion choices) before we all get togther next so he understands the rules and is up to speed next time we play. 

However, have just one investigator seems extremely limited and would probably detract quite a bit from the enjoyability of the play, particularly for a first time player.

Does any one see any potential issues with having players play multiple investigators? Say each player play 2 investigators in a 3 person game, or have the one player play three or four in a four person game? 

I don't see much of an issue on the surface, as the investigators are free to discuss strategy with each other and decide turn order normally (puzzles aside)

#2 VTSvsAlucard

VTSvsAlucard

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:12 AM

I don't see any issue with that. We played a game with 2 investigators, and I agree that it was really limited. We just ran out of time to do everything, and I think that having an extra two turns for each counter placed on the event deck would have been an improvement.

#3 Dr. Nocturne

Dr. Nocturne

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

Yeah I agree. I think it's a pretty good idea. I wish I had done that last night since it was just 1on1. Definitely helps to have the extra threat tokens and push back the event cards.

#4 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:10 AM

I think the only "issue" is with solving puzzles. Technically players aren't supposed to discuss solving a puzzle, and having the same player use two investigators to solve a single puzzle essentially does that. However, I don't see this as really being any sort of actual problem.

#5 mageith

mageith

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:23 AM

One player works OK, but the more the merrier! IMO.  I think the real reason for no puzzle help is to speed up the game.  The puzzles aren't all that tricky but not everyone sees the solutions immediately.  They are really meant to eat up turns, not actual time.

So far I think it scales pretty well.  But investigators more is more fun and they are easier to run than in AH.

#6 Pigeonbane

Pigeonbane

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:26 AM

It doesn't work for story 5.

Story 5 adds question mark cards to the Mythos deck. These cards can convert one of the investigators into a hidden traitor.

#7 mageith

mageith

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, I haven't played story 5 yet since there is so much errata.  I'd think you'd want to have as many live bodies as possible for that one.

#8 Acererak

Acererak

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:34 PM

Except for Story 5, I don´t see any issues by playing two or more Investigators by one player. Is more a matter of tastes than anything else I think.

I love the one on one sessions (coming from the Cthulhu RPG myself) because the horror atmosphere is greatly enhanced. The investigator feels alone, defenseless, and gets in the scary mood much more easily, which helps enhance the overall game experience in my opinion. Playing just one investigator makes you feel much more attached to it, and scared to get hurt or lose your sanity.

But then, there are som Objectives dependant on Event Timer that might get almost imposible for one side or the other with just one investigator. Although the Keeper always has the victory at hand : kill him after Objective revealed....mwahahaha

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS