Horror checks outdoors?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DHFrew3

DHFrew3

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:49 PM

This seems like a big error, but since no one else has mentioned it I think I must have missed something.

The rules only refer to horror checks when monsters are in the same room with an investigator.

What if they are in the same tile or space outdoors?  How do horror checks work outdoors?

Thanks, Don

#2 Kazi

Kazi

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:06 PM

From the Rules of Play page 8 "Room: An area of the map tile that has a name and is separated from the other rooms by solid brown walls, doors, or the edge of the map tile."

Hope this helps.

#3 CraggleRock

CraggleRock

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

Separate tiles count as different "rooms" in this case.  See the example in the rules: the hall Jenny moves down is not separated by a wall/door, but when the monster enters the new tile, it triggers a new horror check.

Essentially, if an area has a different name, it is a different room.  What the outdoor tiles do give the benefit of is no obstructions to range.

#4 Athenor

Athenor

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

This also applies to fire checks, darkness checks, a lot of things. Use that to your advantage/detriment as needed.

#5 DHFrew3

DHFrew3

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:14 AM

Thanks!  That covered everything!

Don

#6 mageith

mageith

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:20 PM

I was thinking of this today in fact.  I'm going to use a 1 space range for Horror checks as a house rule.  Hadn't really thought of Fire/darkness but I'll probably leave those as they are.

#7 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:08 PM

Why? I don't see a problem with the way it is. It is essentially mimicing Line of Sight the way the rules work, which seems to fit exactly with how Horror should work.  Fire, on the other hand, seems like it shouldn't necessarily cover the entire "room", at least not initially.

#8 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:22 PM

mageith said:

I was thinking of this today in fact.  I'm going to use a 1 space range for Horror checks as a house rule.  Hadn't really thought of Fire/darkness but I'll probably leave those as they are.

It seems to me that weakens the Horror effect (weakens Keeper).

Rob

#9 Pigeonbane

Pigeonbane

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:52 PM

In a multi-tile outdoor area, players can be in a space adjacent to a monster, and make ranged attacks without having to make a horror check. It works for a board game, but it doesn't make sense if you try to think of it realistically.

#10 mageith

mageith

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:57 PM

Pigeonbane said:

In a multi-tile outdoor area, players can be in a space adjacent to a monster, and make ranged attacks without having to make a horror check. It works for a board game, but it doesn't make sense if you try to think of it realistically.

That was what I was thinking, andI tried it tonight .  Also had a problem in the tunnels/caves of Scenario 3.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS