Photo

Saruman the Wise or Saruman the corrupted?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 servant of the secret fire

servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:27 PM

Any idea wich one FFG will give us?I know it will be strange for those who only saw the movies to see him as good guy but i like to play him before abandoning reason for madness

#2 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:42 AM

servant of the secret fire said:

Any idea wich one FFG will give us?I know it will be strange for those who only saw the movies to see him as good guy but i like to play him before abandoning reason for madness

Actually, I think, we may eventually see both versions. It's not unusual for a LCG to have different versions of unique characters.

#3 servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:00 PM

jhaelen said:

Actually, I think, we may eventually see both versions. It's not unusual for a LCG to have different versions of unique characters.

Oh i didnt know that.Thanks for the info.

#4 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:19 PM

Considering the time frame I would expect the wise. At least at first.

#5 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:45 PM

Fallen-Wizard Saruman remains one of my favourite pieces of art from Meccg and an allaround cool character (at least if not playing competitive, Beorning Skin-changers will ruin your day). A New Ringlord FTW .

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#6 ClydeCloggie

ClydeCloggie

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:19 PM

Dam said:

Fallen-Wizard Saruman remains one of my favourite pieces of art from Meccg and an allaround cool character (at least if not playing competitive, Beorning Skin-changers will ruin your day). A New Ringlord FTW .

#7 servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:00 AM

Toqtamish said:

Considering the time frame I would expect the wise. At least at first.

Yea considering the time frame we must have him as an ally.But on the other hand having Gandalf ,Radagast,Saruman and Galadriel with Nenya at that moment is like  having the dream team at Olympics (1994).Oh and dont forget Glorfindel

#8 ClydeCloggie

ClydeCloggie

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:51 AM

No Alatar and Pallando in this game though, as they were from Unfinished Tales. MECCG Alatar would have been excellent in this game, chasing down enemies

#9 ffgfan

ffgfan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:16 AM

I thibnk we will  see boath versions of Saruman. Just like we will get Thorin Oakshield as a Hero in the core set  - if You're a Tolkien fan You know that Thorin died at the end of The Hobbit.

#10 servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:01 AM

ClydeCloggie said:

No Alatar and Pallando in this game though, as they were from Unfinished Tales. MECCG Alatar would have been excellent in this game, chasing down enemies

Oh Ithryn Luin.We know almost nothing about their fate and their powers.

Saruman says to Gandalf that he wants the staffs of all five wizards for himself in the book of two towers but i dont know if FFG can use them cause their names never mentioned in Hobbit or the lord of the rings books.

#11 servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:09 AM

ffgfan said:

I thibnk we will  see boath versions of Saruman. Just like we will get Thorin Oakshield as a Hero in the core set  - if You're a Tolkien fan You know that Thorin died at the end of The Hobbit.

Yea also Thorin and Eowyn are from different time lines and Eowyn is in the core set.

Only promblem is wen we get  Saruman of many colors (evil Saruman) what happens then ? You cant have a unique character with free peoples and shadow side in the same game.

#12 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

nly promblem is wen we get  Saruman of many colors (evil Saruman) what happens then ? You cant have a unique character with free peoples and shadow side in the same game.

If he turns while he is in play on the Free side, I could see him doing something nasty (damage, imprisonment) and then getting removed from the game, coming into play on the Shadow side .

#13 ffgfan

ffgfan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:54 PM

Yea also Thorin and Eowyn are from different time lines and Eowyn is in the core set.

Only promblem is wen we get  Saruman of many colors (evil Saruman) what happens then ? You cant have a unique character with free peoples and shadow side in the same game.

That's not a problem in a card game in my opinion. Maybe it disturbs the chronology of events that were in all the books but  the mechanic still alows to have an enemy an ally with the same name but different abilities in the game.

#14 servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:28 PM

ffgfan said:

That's not a problem in a card game in my opinion. Maybe it disturbs the chronology of events that were in all the books but  the mechanic still alows to have an enemy an ally with the same name but different abilities in the game.

Yea mechanic isnt a promblem. But having Saruman fighting him self its not so good idea dont you think?

I think a most reasonable way to have them both is somethink like Darns idea.You can have Saruman with free peoples and a Saruman in shadow deck but wen evil Saruman comes in play and free peoples Saruman is allready in game you must discard him(or the oposite).

Sorry my English arent so good i hope you can understand what i mean

#15 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:48 PM

I think a most reasonable way to have them both is somethink like Dam's idea.You can have Saruman with free peoples and a Saruman in shadow deck but wen evil Saruman comes in play and free peoples Saruman is allready in game you must discard him(or the oposite).

FTFY .

#16 Frog

Frog

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:24 AM

Hopefully they have both!

#17 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:52 AM

ClydeCloggie said:

The Hunt.

#18 YGrams

YGrams

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

ffgfan said:

Just as an aside, and I can't vouch for the truth of this for the English version, but a moderator on the French FFG fora, Dadajef, who also was a proofreader for the French edition's rules, states that apparently neither Thorin nor Celeborn are in the core set.

#19 Periculum

Periculum

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:15 AM

I like this thread. It hits on something that the Decipher CCGs have played on before. They did this with Gollum in their LOTR game. Granted, he was a little more troubled than Saruman, but the same idea applies. When he is on the Free Peoples side, it represents helping them along. On the Dark side it is him doing things hidden and behind the scenes to hurt the Free Peoples. When he is fighting himself, it's him struggling with his own loyalties or trying to hide his evil intentions from his allies among the free peoples. I personally wouldn't mind him on both sides of the game.

#20 ffgfan

ffgfan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:15 AM

YGrams said:

Just as an aside, and I can't vouch for the truth of this for the English version, but a moderator on the French FFG fora, Dadajef, who also was a proofreader for the French edition's rules, states that apparently neither Thorin nor Celeborn are in the core set.

That's interesting, thanks for the news.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS