Playing it solo

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Graham1874

Graham1874

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:40 PM

Hi does anyone have any idea on playing Mansions of Madness solo?

#2 CraggleRock

CraggleRock

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:47 PM

I imagine that would be tough to do, as a fair amount of the mechanics are set up as things that the Keeper knows that the Investigators don't.  Playing both sides means, at the very least, you'd know the Investigator win conditions far in advance of when the players should know them.

If it were to be done, I imagine that it would need specifically crafted scenarios specificially for the purpose of "MoM solitaire", and I would have suspected that such is more likely to be a fan created scenario than an official release.

#3 Old Dwarf

Old Dwarf

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:28 PM

Still waiting for CSI to cough up my tracking # so I haven't received my preordered copy yet.I've been of the opinion that you can't AI the Keeper as he has too much information which the Game needs to set up & play but perhaps the Investigators could be AI.

It may be possible to formulate AI actions the Investigators must perform & even base these actions on the background of the specific Investigator.

OD

A Dwarf in Winter

#4 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:01 AM

Nope, you really cannot play this game solo without an awful lot of rule-changing. As mentioned, too much rests on Keeper decisions.  If anything, playing solo seems like it might only "work" (to an extent) with some tweaking if the player was the Keeper and automated the investigators.

#5 SmokeGunner

SmokeGunner

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:24 PM

Most games can be played solo with a bit of thought - even ones with "secret" information for each side. Here are some suggestions.

1. Before each investigator's turn, formulate in your mind two plans of action for that investigator. The first is "good" play - i.e. avoiding a trap, preventing the Keeper from using one of his cards, or making progress towards some hidden goal. The second is "bad" play - i.e. walking into a trap, doing something that allows the Keeper to player a card on the investigator, or making no progress towards some hidden goal.

2. Test the investigator's "Luck", with any modifier you deem appropriate for the situation. For instance, if the "good" plan requires little or no knowledge of secret information, e.g. moving to aid another investigator, then increase the chance. On the other hand, if the "good" plan makes much use of secret information, such as avoiding a room with a hidden trap which otherwise would be a logical place for the investigator to go, decrease the chance of success.

3. If the test is passed, execute the "good" plan, possibly modified acccording to the degree of success. If the test is failed, execute the "bad" plan, again, possibly modified by the degree of failure.

4. Apply the same approach to the Keeper's turn.

This might sound complicated but it really only amounts to a random roll you must make to "forget" something that you know and act as if you didn't know it.

#6 mageith

mageith

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:06 AM

I've probably played every I've ever owned solo.  I've played three games of MoM solo so far and the investigators have lost every one of them.  Even though the Clues are laid out by my other side, I can easily forget where (An Old One with CRS).  And even so, you (me) have to get them in order, so even if you/me know where me/you've still got to get there and The Keeper will do its best to slow you (me) down.

I randomize everything I can.  Such as the location of items and Nothings of Interest.

The Keeper, of course, knows the investigators every thought (but they know his too) So I just play the best I can given the actual situation on the board.

Then when I turn into the investigators I reexamine and maybe change things.

I like the idea above of using Luck or whatever rolls to determine certain things, but I like to play each side the best I can at the MOMent.

Maybe it helps to schizophrenic sometimes or not.

#7 MustardTheTroops

MustardTheTroops

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:42 PM

Mageith, your post is reassuring, thanks.

I don't wish to play solo necessarily, but my gaming group recently shrunk to a paltry two. We'd vastly prefer to play co-op against an AI keeper, if at all possible. I too have some luck dividing my mind into two competing factions (I think it comes from years and years of GM'ing various role playing games... you get freaky good at acting as the character without any additional knowledge) so I think I could pull off a reasonably good game acting as both GM and another investigator. SmokeGunner's system sounds like it would help as well.

Of course, once I get the game I'm going to try to work on a system that completely scraps the keeper's turn for something even more automated. I don't know if this is possible yet. I'll get back to the forums once I try.

#8 MaddockKrug

MaddockKrug

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

Hi.

This question about solo-ing bothered my mind for a couple of days now. I read through the two obvious topics on this board, and I think: Well, obviously solo-ing is not meant to be an intended game-experience for MoM.

But I would rather try to AI the Investigators then the Keeper - this is contrary to most/ many voices I "heard" about solo-ing MoM  and AI-ing the Keeper.

Why the Investigators, and not the Keeper?

1. The Keeper has many more different gaming-options during his turn then any Investigator. The Investigator only moves up to twice and has one actioN; and within the action his main task would be to explore a room, attack a creature or use any item/ spell/ artifact ...

2. The Keeper knows the locations of the clues and the winning-conditions for both sides.

That's why I would like to work out kind of a "general course of action" being valid for any Investigator - comparable to the AI-mechanic of Flash Duel prioritizing moves and actions. And at the moment I stick with something like this:

1. Move to the closest possible clue. Investigators don't split up.

2.1. Surprise: Exploration would be the highest priority for any Investigator.

2.2 If an Investigator finds something being more suitable for another Investigator, both would move towards each other in order to exchange items.

(2.3 The special abilities of an Investigator are to be used in suitable situations and maybe be object to individual special houserules ... )

3. If an Investigator has to solve a puzzle he would spend a skill-token (luck-bonus) for the puzzle only, if it is possible to finish it on this first attempt.

4. Investigators avoid combat as long as possible, unless the Objective Card is revealed and explains the winning conditions.

5. Maybe: Investigators would receive one additional skill-token from the beginning of the game. AND(?)/OR: skill-tokens can be used to re-roll a bad dice result.

This needs to be changed and/ or amended accordingly ...

So: First thing to do: Let's see, if the BGG board provides helpful information. Edit: Well ... Simple answer: No. There is one certain method of solo-ing the game; but from what I learned and understood it was more about AI-ing the Keeper ... Also the vast majority of BBG forum members tell you to play AH solo instead of trying to solo MoM ... Edit ends ...

Then I will go on ... I will keep you updated.

All the best!

Mad

For GM: Mad's Adventure, Adventure Hooks, NPCs, and Locations - same at RPGGEEK

SW, to me, is a Spaghetti Western with space ships for horses. No matter what you do it causes a problem.  You just might save the day.  Crazy heroics and adventure!

#9 yosefbender

yosefbender

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

MustardTheTroops said:

Mageith, your post is reassuring, thanks.

I don't wish to play solo necessarily, but my gaming group recently shrunk to a paltry two. We'd vastly prefer to play co-op against an AI keeper, if at all possible. I too have some luck dividing my mind into two competing factions (I think it comes from years and years of GM'ing various role playing games... you get freaky good at acting as the character without any additional knowledge) so I think I could pull off a reasonably good game acting as both GM and another investigator. SmokeGunner's system sounds like it would help as well.

Of course, once I get the game I'm going to try to work on a system that completely scraps the keeper's turn for something even more automated. I don't know if this is possible yet. I'll get back to the forums once I try.

I could see how you could accomplish a AI keeper through a card driven system , several decks on for action  that have the keeper options like save threat token this turn,  use summions in room next to ivesogators , move all culitist and monsters around investigator. Untill all can attack.  Then you have a deck that has the clues that unfold a plot line , when the investigator  enters a room they drow from this deck .

#10 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

Few links that can be interested to you.

a solo scenario

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/65172/bad-spirits-a-mansions-of-madness-solo-story

and all scenarios on their solo versions.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/64918/solo-co-op-version-of-stories

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/67673/story-2-v-1-1

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/67668/story-1-v3

best

Mansions of Madness, Esoteric Order of Dagon

Play Arkham Horror with a Keeper

Variants for Arkham Horror

#11 MaddockKrug

MaddockKrug

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:16 AM

amikezor said:

a solo scenario

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/65172/bad-spirits-a-mansions-of-madness-solo-story

best

Hi there,

yeah, thank you. I checked those and the various discussions on BBG.

SW, to me, is a Spaghetti Western with space ships for horses. No matter what you do it causes a problem.  You just might save the day.  Crazy heroics and adventure!

#12 MaddockKrug

MaddockKrug

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:24 AM

amikezor said:

a solo scenario

best

Hi.

The "bad-spirits" fan-work is actually what matches my plans best. The other linked items are about AI-ing the Keeper and playing as the Investigator. And this is actually not what I would like to intent to achieve ...

Basically the bad-spirit uses one specific Investigator and AIs him. Now this is the biiiig question: As this easyly transferred to what suits well enough for the other investigators (probably not, 'cause in Bad Spirits combat is a major action ...). Regardless of the answer to that question, though, I think Bad Spirits offers a pretty good starting point. And it looks like there will be kind of a two-level AI-code for the Investigators: One general part in which all general moves for the Investigators are prioritized, and a special part in which the "nature" of each Investigator is considered for special actions or even the once-per-game-session-actions etc.

We will see ... ;)

All the best!

Mad

#13 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

Honestly I tried the AI for the fall of House Lynch and stop in the middle of the game, as I miss the story telling aspect underneath too much. If you play Arkham Horror, you should have a look there for an exciting AI that unfold a story (only 4 or 5 stories so far, but some are neat).

best

#14 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

MaddockKrug said:

Basically the bad-spirit uses one specific Investigator and AIs him. Now this is the biiiig question: As this easyly transferred to what suits well enough for the other investigators (probably not, 'cause in Bad Spirits combat is a major action ...). Regardless of the answer to that question, though, I think Bad Spirits offers a pretty good starting point. And it looks like there will be kind of a two-level AI-code for the Investigators: One general part in which all general moves for the Investigators are prioritized, and a special part in which the "nature" of each Investigator is considered for special actions or even the once-per-game-session-actions etc.

Are you planning to write a solo story with a clever AI and an exciting story ?

#15 MaddockKrug

MaddockKrug

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

amikezor said:

Hi there,

First of all I would like to find a method to play the game with "decent" solo-mechanics - just like with the game of Flash Duel.

Besides this I also have the idea of writing short stories about the adventures of a couple of dudes running into weird stories, which on first sight don't seem to be intertwined ... But then again ... ? ;)

And about Arkham Horror: Thank you for the link. I will have a look on it, because this MoM thing made me wish to play AH again as well. :) I so much like the theme.

All the best!

Mad

#16 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:23 AM

MaddockKrug said:

amikezor said:

First of all I would like to find a method to play the game with "decent" solo-mechanics - just like with the game of Flash Duel.

[...]

And about Arkham Horror: Thank you for the link. I will have a look on it, because this MoM thing made me wish to play AH again as well. :) I so much like the theme.

Excellent news !! Can't wait to see it finished.

You should definitely look at the arkham investigations. It is the cream of Arkham as far as story telling is concerned and the AI is very clever.

As a side note, I have recently merged arkham horror, MoM and the arkham investigations. For now I have only a version with a keeper (and a single scenario) but would be more than interested to include a clever AI. I will post this "Arkham of Madness" in a very near future. I still need few games to correct things here and there but it works and it is great fun. --I have been working on it for almost a year to get a simple yet efficient mechanics--

#17 MaddockKrug

MaddockKrug

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

amikezor said:

Excellent news !! Can't wait to see it finished.

You should definitely look at the arkham investigations. It is the cream of Arkham as far as story telling is concerned and the AI is very clever.

As a side note, I have recently merged arkham horror, MoM and the arkham investigations. For now I have only a version with a keeper (and a single scenario) but would be more than interested to include a clever AI. I will post this "Arkham of Madness" in a very near future. I still need few games to correct things here and there but it works and it is great fun. --I have been working on it for almost a year to get a simple yet efficient mechanics--

Seconded! Excellent news. You are on your project for ayear now?

My studies keep me pretty busy, which is why I not even thought about trying to cross-over the various games.

Am heavily looking forward to seeing the results. :)

All the best!

Mad

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS