Photo

the way is shut, and more doors close with each passing eon..

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Taurmindo

Taurmindo

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

so, today was the first time we actually had to keep this card (only had fewer elder signs when drawing it earlier). but then it kinda occurred; is there any way to get rid off this card? It's the Other encounter part i'm thinking about.

#2 EcnoTheNeato

EcnoTheNeato

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

Nope! Sure isn't! There are a few OW (and maybe encounter?) cards that tell you to keep them. Short of being Devoured, there's no way to get rid of it. Harsh in any game, literally killer in a 1 or 2 investigator game :-x

#3 avec

avec

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

I think I remember reading that there was a typo on the card.  If you look at the French version of the card, it goes away after 2-3 Upkeeps.

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:16 PM

avec said:

I think I remember reading that there was a typo on the card.  If you look at the French version of the card, it goes away after 2-3 Upkeeps.

Yeah, Avec's right. In the French edition of the game, they said "discard it after 3 upkeeps" or something similar. It was argued that probably the English text was too long for the card and some genius cut it while editing the card

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 Hugues

Hugues

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:37 PM

The French version :

It says : "During your upkeep, you must discard a Clue or an Item if you have one of those. Put a Clue on that card for each Item or Clue you discarded. Put that card back in the box when there are 3 Clues on it."

Hope it helps ;)

#6 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

Hugues said:

It says : "During your upkeep, you must discard a Clue or an Item if you have one of those. Put a Clue on that card for each Item or Clue you discarded. Put that card back in the box when there are 3 Clues on it."

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this reflects the German text, as well (or I'm confusing it with a similar card...).

#7 Taurmindo

Taurmindo

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:35 PM

oh. now i remember this card from a few months ago this exact question was asked (by someone else), but that was before we had kingsport where i play, so i didn't recognize it.

thank goodness, it's a real pain in the ass card otherwise. now it's just a tad annoying.

#8 Shub-Niggurath

Shub-Niggurath

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:20 AM

Julia said:

avec said:

Yeah, Avec's right. In the French edition of the game, they said "discard it after 3 upkeeps" or something similar. It was argued that probably the English text was too long for the card and some genius cut it while editing the card

It would be useful if there was an official response from FFG about this - has anyone sent a rules question email & had a response?

#9 mi-go hunter

mi-go hunter

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

Taurmindo said:

Nah, I like it that way. It's meant to be cruel!

But I do find it interesting that in the French and German version do include the additional text "discard after three clue tokens are placed on this card". Maybe that should be a houserule.

#10 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:44 AM

mi-go hunter said:

But I do find it interesting that in the French and German version do include the additional text "discard after three clue tokens are placed on this card". Maybe that should be a houserule.

...or grounds for terminating an editor.

What was that noise?

#11 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:38 AM

Shub-Niggurath said:

It would be useful if there was an official response from FFG about this - has anyone sent a rules question email & had a response?

The response part is the main issue, I'm afraid...

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#12 Shub-Niggurath

Shub-Niggurath

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:56 AM

Julia said:

Shub-Niggurath said:

The response part is the main issue, I'm afraid...

Oh I see. We'll just have to make our own decisons then. It looks to me like an error, unless FFG wanted to make the game especially hard for English speaking players.  

#13 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:59 PM

Shub-Niggurath said:

Oh I see. We'll just have to make our own decisons then. It looks to me like an error, unless FFG wanted to make the game especially hard for English speaking players.  

Yep, I also think it's a horror, ehm, error. First of all, because I think that Germans translate the cards from the orginal files FFG send them, and not from French (or viceversa), so basically it's quite unlikely to have the same error corrected twice in the same manner. Besides, the card, as it is, is the worst card in the whole game. I mean, you're not devoured. You're not forced to retire. You simply become a useless character, draining resources and wasting clues. Non sense.

#14 EcnoTheNeato

EcnoTheNeato

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:33 AM

And then a Moon Beast comes along and gives you the sweet release of Devouring ^_^

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS