Jump to content



Photo

New player questions.


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gnippins

Gnippins

    Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:24 AM

Hey guys I am a very new player, just got the game 3-4 days ago.  Just had a couple questions that came up in our first game.

 

1) I am playing as an evil aligned character and I land on a space and draw a card. That card is only usable by good aligned players(lets say holy grail). Obviously I cannot take that card with me, so is the card discarded or is the card dropped onto the space? Also, the next time I land on this space, knowing that I cannot take the grail, do I choose another card? or simply pick the grail up again(get burned by it's good energy) and drop it onto the space again?   basically I guess my question is, is this space now "locked" until someone takes the grail?

2) Lets say the space "Oasis" has a marsh on it for the rest of the game. When I land on this space I would now only draw 2 cards instead of the normal 3 correct? With my first encounter being the marsh?   And also, if the marsh is my first encounter and my strength is too low(which ends my turn) do I even draw the additional cards?  If so are they left on the space when my turn ends due to low strength?

3) A space has a market on it but I do not want to buy anything(or have no gold). Do I have to encounter the market? or can I still encounter the space and draw a card?  Or do I basically encounter the market and choose not to buy anything(basically like just browsing)?

4) I have the Hag as a follower. Her card reads that to get rid of her I must visit the Mystic. Does that mean that I do not need to roll for her in the Chasm? And if I do roll for her, does she still fall in even though the card states there in only the one way to get rid of her? 

5) When do I trade in trophies? can this be done at the end of a turn after a creature has been defeated? or do I have to wait until the beginning of my next turn?

6) For cards like "spring of life". When I am the original character landing on a space and drawing this card do I take 1 life away from the total of four? Or is it basically like I found the the spring and the next player to find it gains a life?      Same rule applies for like a spectre(I think) which waits around for an evil character to randomly give him +1 gold, life, craft, etc.?  If I am evil and land on a space and draw the spectre do I instantly get the bonus? or do I have to land on the space another time?

7) Can someone please explain the Mephisolesis(spelling) card? I do not have the card in front of me at the moment but I believe it states that he takes you, or transports you to his realm(something like that). What exactly does this mean?  

 

Thanks for all the help in advance guys.  Really loving this game so far, hoping it will be that much more fun once I really get my understanding down.



#2 reddz

reddz

    Member

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:19 AM

Gnippins said:

Hey guys I am a very new player, just got the game 3-4 days ago.  Just had a couple questions that came up in our first game.

 

1) I am playing as an evil aligned character and I land on a space and draw a card. That card is only usable by good aligned players(lets say holy grail). Obviously I cannot take that card with me, so is the card discarded or is the card dropped onto the space? Also, the next time I land on this space, knowing that I cannot take the grail, do I choose another card? or simply pick the grail up again(get burned by it's good energy) and drop it onto the space again?   basically I guess my question is, is this space now "locked" until someone takes the grail?

You must leave the card in the space. The card counts as the "draw a card" for that space whilst it is there. So yes, the space is locked until the card is taken or destroyed (via a spell).

Gnippins said:

2) Lets say the space "Oasis" has a marsh on it for the rest of the game. When I land on this space I would now only draw 2 cards instead of the normal 3 correct? With my first encounter being the marsh?   And also, if the marsh is my first encounter and my strength is too low(which ends my turn) do I even draw the additional cards?  If so are they left on the space when my turn ends due to low strength?

The Oasis IIRC is "draw 2 cards" so you would draw one more card. You always resolve cards in the order indicated by the numbers on the cards. If the new cards number is the same as the Marsh you would encounter the Marsh first as it was drawn first. You always draw the card first as you encounter the space before any cards on it.

Gnippins said:

3) A space has a market on it but I do not want to buy anything(or have no gold). Do I have to encounter the market? or can I still encounter the space and draw a card?  Or do I basically encounter the market and choose not to buy anything(basically like just browsing)?

The Market takes the space, so you encounter it. Yay for window shopping!

Gnippins said:

4) I have the Hag as a follower. Her card reads that to get rid of her I must visit the Mystic. Does that mean that I do not need to roll for her in the Chasm? And if I do roll for her, does she still fall in even though the card states there in only the one way to get rid of her? 

She is a follower (says so on the card) so any effects that occur to followers can happen to her.

Gnippins said:

5) When do I trade in trophies? can this be done at the end of a turn after a creature has been defeated? or do I have to wait until the beginning of my next turn?

You can trade in trophies at any time IIRC.

Gnippins said:

6) For cards like "spring of life". When I am the original character landing on a space and drawing this card do I take 1 life away from the total of four? Or is it basically like I found the the spring and the next player to find it gains a life?      Same rule applies for like a spectre(I think) which waits around for an evil character to randomly give him +1 gold, life, craft, etc.?  If I am evil and land on a space and draw the spectre do I instantly get the bonus? or do I have to land on the space another time?

You would gain the benefit. So the "spring/pool/fountain" would only have 3 tokens on it after you take one. As for the wish cards, if you encountered it and you fulfill the requirement you get it. It only hangs around waiting if the person to encounter it does not qualify.

Gnippins said:

7) Can someone please explain the Mephisolesis(spelling) card? I do not have the card in front of me at the moment but I believe it states that he takes you, or transports you to his realm(something like that). What exactly does this mean?  

I don't recall that part. I believe you just change alignment (or whatever else he does to you) and then he is discarded.

Gnippins said:

 

Thanks for all the help in advance guys.  Really loving this game so far, hoping it will be that much more fun once I really get my understanding down.

No worries. My first rules response post. Hope I got them right!



#3 icesickels

icesickels

    Member

  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:40 AM

I would agree with the most of the above answers only have the following issues:

Hag - Not sure if you would roll for her or not similar to the poltergist if you got him in the middle region.  These two followers both state that they have a specific way to remove them as a follower.  I would like to see other's opinions on this topic.

Your question regarding the Oasis with a marsh.  If you drew the 2nd card and it was say a bag of gold or an item with a higher number than the marsh, you would then lose your turn due to the marsh and that item would remain in the space for the next player to land there who had the ability to get through the marsh without losing a turn.

Hope that helps.



#4 myomer

myomer

    Member

  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:36 AM

Reddz has much of it correct, at least from what I gathered from the rules. Some more input from me to stress/clarify some points:

Gnippins said:

1) I am playing as an evil aligned character and I land on a space and draw a card. That card is only usable by good aligned players(lets say holy grail). Obviously I cannot take that card with me, so is the card discarded or is the card dropped onto the space? Also, the next time I land on this space, knowing that I cannot take the grail, do I choose another card? or simply pick the grail up again(get burned by it's good energy) and drop it onto the space again?   basically I guess my question is, is this space now "locked" until someone takes the grail?

2) Lets say the space "Oasis" has a marsh on it for the rest of the game. When I land on this space I would now only draw 2 cards instead of the normal 3 correct? With my first encounter being the marsh?   And also, if the marsh is my first encounter and my strength is too low(which ends my turn) do I even draw the additional cards?  If so are they left on the space when my turn ends due to low strength

3) A space has a market on it but I do not want to buy anything(or have no gold). Do I have to encounter the market? or can I still encounter the space and draw a card?  Or do I basically encounter the market and choose not to buy anything(basically like just browsing)?

 

Dropped on the space. A card on the space takes the place of "draw 1 card". For example two cards on a "draw 3 cards" space would then allow you to only draw 1 card, and you encounter the two cards plus the one you just drew. Cards are encountered based on the green number on bottom right of the card, lowest number first (if there's a tie, card that was "drawn" first). Cards, spaces (like rolling spaces) are always a must for encounters.

In your case, you encounter the market in #3 but not buy anything.

Gnippins said:

4) I have the Hag as a follower. Her card reads that to get rid of her I must visit the Mystic. Does that mean that I do not need to roll for her in the Chasm? And if I do roll for her, does she still fall in even though the card states there in only the one way to get rid of her? 

 

I'm basing my opinion on the "Can vs. Cannot" rule on page 15 of the rulebook, which states "cannot" trumps "can". The hag (and poltergeist) has a cannot discard unless something x is done, so it supercedes anything; in other words, you do not roll for the hag in the chasm; can't sacrifice her to the vampire; can't turn her in to the warlock for a quest, etc. But again, that's just my interpretation.

Gnippins said:

5) When do I trade in trophies? can this be done at the end of a turn after a creature has been defeated? or do I have to wait until the beginning of my next turn?

 

Rulebook, pg 14: You can turn in your trophies at the end of your turn.

Gnippins said:

6) For cards like "spring of life". When I am the original character landing on a space and drawing this card do I take 1 life away from the total of four? Or is it basically like I found the the spring and the next player to find it gains a life?      Same rule applies for like a spectre(I think) which waits around for an evil character to randomly give him +1 gold, life, craft, etc.?  If I am evil and land on a space and draw the spectre do I instantly get the bonus? or do I have to land on the space another time?

 

You encounter the card therefore you can take 1 "token" (life, strength, craft) or whatever from these types of cards.

Gnippins said:

7) Can someone please explain the Mephisolesis(spelling) card? I do not have the card in front of me at the moment but I believe it states that he takes you, or transports you to his realm(something like that). What exactly does this mean?  

 

Turns you evil.

 



#5 Gnippins

Gnippins

    Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:06 PM

awesome thanks guys.

 

One other question I had that I forgot to mention.

When a character dies I understand that he drops all his items/followers/gold on that spot that he dies.  When another player comes to that spot can the player choose which item/follow/so forth that he wishes to take? or does that player still have to go by the encounter rules at the bottom of the card?  i.e.  you land on a space with a sword, cross, and a fairy.   can I take whichever I want? or do I have to take say the sword cause it is the lowest number?

Also.... when a character dies with a talisman card, is that dropped as well? or does that return to the deck?

 

Crap...    just remembered another one.

When you land on the Warlock's cave you roll and receive a quest.  Now if you venture off and then come back to the warlock's cave before completing that quest do you therefor roll again and receive a new quest? or do you keep the original quest until it is completed and therefor do not roll again on the second time landing on the warlock's cave?      Also... if you already have completed a quest and have a talisman but you land on the warlock's cave do you get another quest and therefor try to gain another talisman? or can a player only have one talisman at a time?

 

Thanks again..



#6 myomer

myomer

    Member

  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

Gnippins said:

When a character dies I understand that he drops all his items/followers/gold on that spot that he dies.  When another player comes to that spot can the player choose which item/follow/so forth that he wishes to take? or does that player still have to go by the encounter rules at the bottom of the card?  i.e.  you land on a space with a sword, cross, and a fairy.   can I take whichever I want? or do I have to take say the sword cause it is the lowest number?

Also.... when a character dies with a talisman card, is that dropped as well? or does that return to the deck?

If you think about it, if you must "encounter" everything you pick everything up but you can also discard; so it's really "pick and choose" except for cards that you can't discard, like the hag/poltergeist, etc. Talismans drop as well. If you try the 1 talisman only variant this becomes key. :)

Gnippins said:

When you land on the Warlock's cave you roll and receive a quest.  Now if you venture off and then come back to the warlock's cave before completing that quest do you therefor roll again and receive a new quest? or do you keep the original quest until it is completed and therefor do not roll again on the second time landing on the warlock's cave?      Also... if you already have completed a quest and have a talisman but you land on the warlock's cave do you get another quest and therefor try to gain another talisman? or can a player only have one talisman at a time?

Our interpretation of it is yes, the most recent quest takes over the previous quest. Once completing the quest and you have a talisman you can again gain a quest from the Warlock. I know it's sorta futile, but there are spells and objects (shatter? rod of ruin? I forget) out there that destroy objects, so multiple talismans isn't that crazy an idea. So afaik you can have more than 1 talisman.

 



#7 icesickels

icesickels

    Member

  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:35 PM

My interpretation of the Warlock's cave would be that once you are on that quest you must complete it, I do not think you would roll again (draw card in the reaper expansion) if you were to land on the spot before your quest had been completed.



#8 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:32 PM

icesickels said:

My interpretation of the Warlock's cave would be that once you are on that quest you must complete it, I do not think you would roll again (draw card in the reaper expansion) if you were to land on the spot before your quest had been completed.

Correct. When you roll for a quest / draw a quest card from the Warlock's cave you can't take another quest until you complete it. Not only, you must complete the quest as soon as you are able to. For instance, you can't wait to have a useless Object to discard... if you only have the Runesword, you have to discard it.

Furthermore, if you draw a Talisman from the Adventure card deck BEFORE you have completed your quest, you needn't complete that quest anymore. The question is: can you still complete that Warlock quest in order to acquire an additional Talisman? Of course you can carry more than one, thus preventing other players' access to Valley of Fire.

One more thing concerning the HAG (and the POLTERGEIST): these adventure cards become as Followers, but are not "real" Followers. You can get rid of 'em only by following the procedure on the respective cards and they won't be affected by anything that usually affects Followers.  You can't sacrifice them, you can't drop them, you can't Mesmerize them (Poltergeist can be handy in some particular situations).



#9 8janek8

8janek8

    Member

  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:56 PM

The_Warlock said:

 

One more thing concerning the HAG (and the POLTERGEIST): these adventure cards become as Followers, but are not "real" Followers. You can get rid of 'em only by following the procedure on the respective cards and they won't be affected by anything that usually affects Followers.  You can't sacrifice them, you can't drop them, you can't Mesmerize them (Poltergeist can be handy in some particular situations).

 

 

I can't agree. You are not allowed to leave them on your own decision only (in the Vampire's Tower or just drop them etc.). When you have Hag (or Poltergeist) only and roll 3 in the Warlock's Cave you have to discard it.



#10 myomer

myomer

    Member

  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:33 AM

icesickels said:

My interpretation of the Warlock's cave would be that once you are on that quest you must complete it, I do not think you would roll again (draw card in the reaper expansion) if you were to land on the spot before your quest had been completed.

D'oh!

That sounds better and makes sense.



#11 Gentlegamer

Gentlegamer

    Member

  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

The_Warlock said:

Furthermore, if you draw a Talisman from the Adventure card deck BEFORE you have completed your quest, you needn't complete that quest anymore. The question is: can you still complete that Warlock quest in order to acquire an additional Talisman? Of course you can carry more than one, thus preventing other players' access to Valley of Fire.

The Warlock prevents you from opening the Portal of Power before you complete your quest.



#12 HallowKnight

HallowKnight

    Member

  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:57 PM

THE BIG CATCH 22.

I have always had a problem with the warlock not letting you in the portal of power before you complete your quest.

Imagine you are playing a two player game, and the person goes for the crown.  You dont have a talisman, so you roll a quest and get a 1.

You are stuck!  It tells you to take a life from another player.  If all other players are beyond the portal, you are screwed!

 

With New Rev edition, at least you have a fate to re-roll that one.....But watch out, you have a less chance if you use the cards from the Reaper, but you cant use "fate" to select a different card can you!

 






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS