• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 hahnarama

hahnarama

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:13 AM

Guys,

PLEASE give us the option to upload/link to our own avatrs. IMO its weak that within a few weeks eveyone will look like a clone.

• R2builder likes this

#2 Doc Savage

Doc Savage

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:09 PM

I agree... Hopefully this is an oversight and not a downgrade...

Visit DocSavageTales.blogspot.com for cool stuff!

#3 Antigoth

Antigoth

• Members
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:21 PM

There's over a hundred avatars already available, and they're going to be uploading more.

Better than some other company websites that don't let you have any avatar at all.

#4 Malechi

Malechi

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:36 PM

I do not like the fact that we get a small selection of Avatars. Does anyone designing this website ever use forums with Avatars? They are there to allow quick visual reference as to who is in the thread's conversation. Having the same Avatar for multiple members throws that out the window and just gets plain creepy.

Or, should I just add this to every post ...

#5 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:56 PM

I have a custom avatar that I use at everye other site.  i would like to see them here as well.

#6 reapersaurus

reapersaurus

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:46 PM

ColtsFan76 said:

I have a custom avatar that I use at everye other site.  i would like to see them here as well.

Seconded!
(Or is it 3rd or 4th'd?)

#7 jadrax

jadrax

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:47 PM

I belive they have already said they will look at adding Custom Avatars soon.

#8 littlewars

littlewars

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:55 PM

Adding?

They make it seem like it's not a commonplace concept.

#9 aslum

aslum

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:01 PM

As long as we don't have to deal with images in the signature file I'll be fairly happy. Hell, add a stetson to my current avatar and you've practically got my previous one.

#10 Talos

Talos

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:56 PM

Apologies in advance for a little thread hijacking, but with you guys all posting in here, I thought I had logged into hereoscapers.com.

Back on topic, I agree about the Avatars. A nice range here for thos who don't have their customs, but the opportunity to use our own would be much appreciated.

#11 Joram

Joram

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:59 PM

Another vote for Avatars.

#12 jogo

jogo

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

I like the actual system. So the website has one style. With everyone uploading his own things, there would be chaos.

#13 zwobot

zwobot

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:55 AM

Another Vote for Avatars on our own, the jester is cool but already taken by too many other people!

Did FFG design the new page on his own? Looks a lot lik,e the one from ubik and Edge Enterteinment! www.edgeent.com/

#14 jogo

jogo

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:46 AM

It looks like copy&paste, but good.

#15 Kage2020

Kage2020

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:39 AM

jogo said:

I like the actual system. So the website has one style. With everyone uploading his own things, there would be chaos.

I hardly think that is true.  It would just mean that they have a few megabytes of small files that people have uploaded, while the forum members will get their own little representation.  I, like others, use the same name and the same avatar on all the forums that I frequent.  It allows people to read, or ignore, what I write with little effort other than a quick glance.  Admittedly, the name also helps, but there we go.   With everyone having the same picture...?  

No, I don't think that introducing custom avatars would add any chaos whatsoever.  Distinctiveness for posters, maybe, but not chaos.

Thus I too have another vote for custom avatars, and hope that jadrax is correct that they will be adding these sometime in the near future.

Kage

#16 hahnarama

hahnarama

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:36 AM

Malechi said:

I do not like the fact that we get a small selection of Avatars. Does anyone designing this website ever use forums with Avatars? They are there to allow quick visual reference as to who is in the thread's conversation. Having the same Avatar for multiple members throws that out the window and just gets plain creepy.

Or, should I just add this to every post ...

AMEN!

#17 hahnarama

hahnarama

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:37 AM

jogo said:

This is a joke right?

#18 Joram

Joram

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:52 PM

jogo said:

But you have people all using the same Avatars. Avatars are there to identify people. If multiple people have the same one, then there is chaos. There is a thread in the StarCraft forum where the first four posts all have the same Avatar. People would have to read all the names to make sure they are following the conversation correctly.

#19 Luftwaffe Flak

Luftwaffe Flak

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:07 PM

I dont think it would be a bad idea, but they just got this site up so give them a chance to flesh out the default ones first then move on to getting extra space for us to upload custom ones.

#20 Graspar

Graspar

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:29 PM

Kage2020 said:

jogo said:

I hardly think that is true.  It would just mean that they have a few megabytes of small files that people have uploaded, while the forum members will get their own little representation.  I, like others, use the same name and the same avatar on all the forums that I frequent.  It allows people to read, or ignore, what I write with little effort other than a quick glance.  Admittedly, the name also helps, but there we go.   With everyone having the same picture...?  

No, I don't think that introducing custom avatars would add any chaos whatsoever.  Distinctiveness for posters, maybe, but not chaos.

Thus I too have another vote for custom avatars, and hope that jadrax is correct that they will be adding these sometime in the near future.

Kage

Actually, avatars needn't take up any server space beyond the adress to an off site image hosting such as photobucket.

That's the way I always do it anyway, if possible. I have an off site script that cykles avatars on every load between about 8-9 avatars with very similar style.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS