Close Combat Question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Shrapnelsmile

Shrapnelsmile

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:30 AM

After several games we have a question about close combat.

Are Knives and Knives / Grenades the only close combat weapons currently in the game?

For example, the Luther has the Kampfzange -- with a range of 1, and obviously melee by the appearance of the weapon.

Does this prompt a simultaneous response of Knives and Grenades from a unit of soliders?

#2 FlorisH

FlorisH

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:10 AM

Only using "knives" and "knives & grenades" count as close combat and have the ruling that both sides roll attack dice. Hope that helps.

#3 reptilebro1

reptilebro1

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:10 AM

The rules do state that using knife and gernade or knife results in a simultanous attack, but I would imagine the weapon on the Luther would be a CC attack, but that doesn't really matter because knife and gernades would never be able to damage the Luther. Now if you had a luther engaging a Loth or another Luther( both have that same weapon ) I would say they would fall under the CC rules, but that is just my opinion.

#4 Dcal12

Dcal12

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:15 AM

Shrapnelsmile said:

Are Knives and Knives / Grenades the only close combat weapons currently in the game?

For example, the Luther has the Kampfzange with a range of 1, and obviously melee by the appearance of the weapon.

Does this prompt a simultaneous response of Knives and Grenades from a unit of soliders?

Shrapnelsmile said:

For example, the Luther has the Kampfzange with a range of 1, and obviously melee by the appearance of the weapon.

A squad of soldiers with with knives and grenades would NOT be able to attack Luther if the unit of soldiers were attacked.  Luther is a armor 4 and knives and grenades can only attack up to armor 2.

But, answering your original question: yes, I believe only knife and knife grenade are close combat weapons.  Kampfzange and flamethrower are all range 1 weapons.  Knife and Knife grenade are specifically addressed in Important information on page 22.

#5 loken14

loken14

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:29 PM

personally i think all range 1 weapons should allow a response and that includes shotguns but alas they dont and unless they change this the power claw does not allow a simutaneous response

#6 frozenbunnysteak

frozenbunnysteak

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:40 AM

I like to think that the walkers are too slow and clumsy to be afforded the same close combat rules as for infantry, after all, it's not too hard to imagine nimble infantrymen using cover to block an attack from a ponderous robot, or combat between two cumbersome war machines being slower than between two knife armed humans. 

#7 FlorisH

FlorisH

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:38 AM

loken14 said:

personally i think all range 1 weapons should allow a response and that includes shotguns but alas they dont and unless they change this the power claw does not allow a simutaneous response

That would mean if an unit attacks the BBQ boys with knives they can fight back with . . . . . . . their shotguns  way to powerfull to even consider.

No I think having the fight back option only with knives and knives and grenades is spot on and doesn't need changing.

#8 loken14

loken14

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

yes put that would give the shotguns a chance as right now u can slaughter them without even giving them a chance at least give them a against against foolish infantry

#9 FlorisH

FlorisH

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:59 AM

loken14 said:

yes put that would give the shotguns a chance as right now u can slaughter them without even giving them a chance at least give them a against against foolish infantry

That is why Joe is always going into the BBQ squad. That way he soaks up the first 3 wounds while the unit gets close enough to "do their thing". The trick is to keep them in cover while they move forward and to let Joe take the first hits.

#10 loken14

loken14

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

yea im just saying though even with joe they are still a little underpowered as is and could use a little boost to theyre killing potential

#11 Ebonsword

Ebonsword

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:12 PM

loken14 said:

yea im just saying though even with joe they are still a little underpowered as is and could use a little boost to theyre killing potential

Wait, you think that the BBQ Squad is *under*powered?!

I think that you're not using them right...

#12 Shrapnelsmile

Shrapnelsmile

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

Thanks gents, we have been playing correctly with Knives / Grenades as the only attacking prompting close combat response.

#13 loken14

loken14

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:50 AM

i can dominate the bbq squad as i only play axis and my dad plays allies really i think they are underpowered since they only have a range of 1 plus im lucky to so i can kill them off in about 1 turn

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS