Cover Clarification

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hey_yu

hey_yu

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:56 AM

Not sure if there is already a Q&A FAQ or if there is a separate forum area to ask this. 

Just wanted some clarification on cover.  Let say if you have a squad next to crates and an opposing enemy unit targets that squad.  Line of sight goes thru the crates.  However, since the targeted squad isn't in the hex with the crates it doesn't receive Soft Cover.  Is this correct?

Thanks

#2 FlorisH

FlorisH

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

That is correct.
Crates only provide cover if the infantry unit is inside the same square as the crates.

#3 hey_yu

hey_yu

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for the confirmation.  I was hoping for some type of cover if you're shooting a target thru crates/tank traps.  Though reading the rules it didn't sound like the case.

I haven't played a game yet.  Just reading the rules right now.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to play a game in the next week with a group of guys.  One thing that concerns me the most about the game is the potential lack of cover in game and general movement of 1 hex.  So, it seems there will be more shooting and less strategy/maneuvering.  Are folks experiencing this type of game play? 

#4 Shrapnelsmile

Shrapnelsmile

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:56 AM

hey_yu said:

Thanks for the confirmation.  I was hoping for some type of cover if you're shooting a target thru crates/tank traps.  Though reading the rules it didn't sound like the case.

I haven't played a game yet.  Just reading the rules right now.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to play a game in the next week with a group of guys.  One thing that concerns me the most about the game is the potential lack of cover in game and general movement of 1 hex.  So, it seems there will be more shooting and less strategy/maneuvering.  Are folks experiencing this type of game play? 

Not from our experience.

Each unit has the option of moving once or twice. This simple dynamic affords a player to surprise his opponent.

Secondly, my girlfriend describes this game as "interesting chess meets the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan." Movement is key to strategy, as well as preference and choice of targets. Give it a go (at least 10 games with different missions) and get back to us with your take.

Enjoy.

#5 hey_yu

hey_yu

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the info.  Though off-hand that's my impression.  With one movement it doesn't seem you can far.  Can shoot then hide, but your opponent can then move and shoot you.  If you double move then you're pretty much unable to shoot and with little terrain for cover it's probably not beneficial to double move at times.    Hopefully, I'll get a chance to play an initial game with a group of guys at my LGS to get a better feel. 

#6 FlorisH

FlorisH

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

There is actually a lot of cover on Dust Tactics maps. It just doesn't show like you are used to. You have the crates and tank traps for the conventional cover "if you are behind it you are in cover" type things but when shooting you have to take the corners of walls into account as these ad up to provide cover for infantry.

#7 loken14

loken14

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

plus u can not move at all and shoot twice plus eventually abilities so yea there is and will be even more strategy

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS