A lot of the entries I've read so far have been as followed:
- Bolters are Tearing.
- Unlimited ammo clips for normal ammo.
- Righteous Fury.
- Underestimating the players who are playing space marines!
So, major problems so far are that someone fires a heavy bolter, rolling 3d10 for damage dice + more for each degree of success = something is dead. Why? Well, he's discarding the lower of the three die, but the chances are he's going to RF a good percent of the time, and has the potential to chain RF till the target is nothing but a stain for miles around. For some, this isn't a problem, but I have repeditively seen "they killed the Hive Tyrant in one round!." I am starting to see the problem here too. Though, I must ask, why was it a lone Tyrant? When have you ever seen a lone Tyrant kicking it, sipping some tea, alone, in the woods? Dawn of War 2? Yeah... lets not talk about that game.
But, why did the players utterly destroy the Tyrant? Well, did they fight through the horde of lesser beasts, the lictors, the warriors, the guants upon bodies of gaunts? Or did they have unlimited ammo for bolter rounds, never once concerning themselves with the probability of running out, when, they saw the Tyrant looming closer? That in might be the problem, along with the fact the devastator is going to let loose with a torrent of death from his heavy bolter like its going out of style.
Dunno, got me thinking people forget that the players are Space Marines, and start the game with 13k exp. They're not some pack of level 1 dungeon and dragons player characters, they're level 1, half dragon templated players. Sure they're level 1, but they also have gear, abilities and prowess of someone much more experienced. Underestimating their firepower, as well as most players ability to find that one chance to outwit you every few seconds with something COMPLETELY UNEXPECTED, you have dead npcs piled miles high. But, when did the job of the GM/DM mean V.S. the players who are my mortal and spiritual foes? I thought the reason people had a GM/DM in the first place was to TELL THE STORY. Not to TPK the party their every waking moment.
Anyways, house rules to calm the problems many face.
- Remove tearing from the bolters: except when using specialized ammo, or when using a tallent that might grant it.
- Going by a post below this one, 8 clips of ammo are all the players realy should have on them, and puts the fear into them as a whole.
- Against NPCs of the Master and Elite standing, make it so RF can only trigger once. I realize that this changes a lot of the mechanics of the game, but at the same time, it adds just that much more fear factor of these worthy foes.
- Never underestimate your players, somehow, someway, they will find a way to turn the tide in their favor.
- Don't play against the players, play with them.
Just my thoughts on this. Sorry for being so preachy!