Too many corruption cards

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Glasgow Scotland

Glasgow Scotland

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:36 AM

We were playing with the new Goat expansion yesterday.  The doom track was only at 6 -- in other words, it was still early in the game.

At this point I had six corruption cards spread out in front of me.   Then I encountered a situation where I was required to take two more.,

The problem is -- in part -- the complexity involved in following such a pile of cards.  Updates begin to take excessive time, and we start debating what some of the cards mean.  It slows the game down -- and instead of making the game more fun, it makes the game less fun.

For yesterday's game, we decided to cut off the corruption cards at six.  If you have six of them spread out in front of you, you chill until you have gotten rid of some.

Has anyone else had this experience?

What is the most corruption cards you or your playing friends have ever had?

Thanks--

#2 mageith

mageith

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:33 AM

The danger in the corruption deck is that the green cards are used up and you get into the red cards which are more dangerous. In other words, you are supposed to have lots of draws.

I've had six corruption cards and the first thing you look for during the mythos for is the symbol and color. Even with six cards I can go several turns without having any corruption effects.

Now I agree there are other effects than can occur in other than the mythos phase and that can be confusing and difficult to track, but I wouldn't cut it off at six or any number.

Also, the rule I forgot the first time I played was that corruption cards are discarded when the gate with their symbol is closed.  You may not have closed enough gates to rid yourself of your cards.

#3 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:08 PM

mageith said:

Also, the rule I forgot the first time I played was that corruption cards are discarded when the gate with their symbol is closed.  You may not have closed enough gates to rid yourself of your cards.

Yep, I was going to remind you of this rule.  But if you were playing it correctly, a hint might be to group your cards together as they are most likely to appear on the mythos cards.  That way you don't have to look at all of them every time, you can just resolve them in groups.

Besides the ones that activate all monsters, Mythos cards are always grouped like this:

• Square / Diamond --- Circle
  • Slash / Triangle / Star --- Hexagon
  • Plus --- Moon

And then vice versa on the colors.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS