Buying advances from other books?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Peachey

Peachey

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:33 PM

One of my players wants to buy Psi powers from the Rouge trader core rulebook.

The power he is after at the moment is pretty low level telekinesis, should this be an elite advance or can I just get his to purchase at face cost? I don’t want to set a bad precedent.

Ben

#2 Charmander

Charmander

• Members
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:02 AM

Peachey said:

The power he is after at the moment is pretty low level telekinesis, should this be an elite advance or can I just get his to purchase at face cost? I don’t want to set a bad precedent.

Ben

Without my DW core with me, don't Librarians have access to telepathic and telekenetic powers already?

It's been my experience any time a player wants to buy something 'low level' from another book they have big plans for it later, but then again my players are jerks.

It would totally be an elite advance as the player is purchasing a power that they don't normally have access to.  The cost is another matter- I'd price it based on how 'low level' it is and what the possible ramifications with it integrating into Deathwatch are- what other powers can it be combined with for greater effect, what talents/abilities of a Librarian or Kill Team can it/will it augment, etc.  I'd then do a comparison check of roughly equivalent powers in DW and price it accordingly.

Keep in mind that powers and cost don't translate well across the three books.  Skills that cost 100 and 300 in DH or RT might cost 500 or 800 in DW.

#3 Nimon

Nimon

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:15 AM

Peachey said:

Ben

Elite Advance might be the way to go, possibly with a side effect or chance at one for persuing a power outside the chapter/codex ect. Perhaps he has to eat a psyker that has the ability befor it becomes avalible, though that whole eating enemies thing I find a bit strange apparently they do that, so might give you a chance to introduce the advance with some basis.

#4 Decessor

Decessor

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:11 AM

Bear in mind that elite advances in DW have a default cost of 750xp. For something that's not even in the book, let alone in the characters' advance scheme, it probably shouldn't be cheap.

#5 Peachey

Peachey

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:13 AM

Decessor said:

Bear in mind that elite advances in DW have a default cost of 750xp. For something that's not even in the book, let alone in the characters' advance scheme, it probably shouldn't be cheap.

I agree but as I dont own the DH or RT books myself I am going from a lot of assumptions.  I should think the minimum cost of a Psy power is 200 XP in RT, could it be as easy as XP Cost + 550 plus some good roleplay to get the required knowledge.

I am also going to be putting the lack of books right, as getting the books from a friend to read over the next couple of weeks. 

Ben

#6 Decessor

Decessor

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:51 AM

Fair enough. Just to note, the psychic rules are very different in DH as opposed to RH/DW. In DH it's roll (Up To Psy Rating) x D10 as the norm, with tweaks for fettered and unfettered use in the Ascension sourcebook. Instead of the WP tests to focus a power in RH and DW.

#7 Peachey

Peachey

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:40 AM

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS