Livre D'Ivon clarity

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Elric91

Elric91

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:46 AM

The card Livre D'Ivon is confusing and i need to know if there is an errata on this someplace. This is from the kingsport set and i will break it down into its base statements to illulstrate my point :

Movement : Discard and spend 2 movement points to make a lore (-2) check.

Ok, nothing wrong there. Looks pretty straight forward. We discard it, spend 2 movement, and make a lore (-2) check.

If you pass, search the spell deck for a spell of your choice and take it, then discard Livre D'ivon and lose 2 sanity.

????

Didn't we have to discard it to even get the lore(-2) check in the first place? So how can we discard it after we search for a spell of our choice, if we already were forced to discard it to get the check?

On the one hand, It could be argued that most of the other tomes only get discarded if you pass the check, and that the first "discard" was a mistake and this tome is meant to be kept on a failed roll.

On the other hand, it looks more powerful than the other tomes, and is only $6 to boot, so perhaps it was meant to be discarded either way on the first use, pass or fail.

Was there any official errata on this card? It seems worded poorly, if the intent was to put 2 places where it must be discarded in order to make sure it goes to the discard pile and cannot be saved in any way, i can think of a million better ways i could have worded it.

#2 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:54 PM

We don't have an offical answer but it is assumed the first "discard" is a mistake.  Should be "exhaust."  That is how Tomes typically work.

#3 Nghtflame7

Nghtflame7

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:54 AM

ColtsFan76 said:

We don't have an offical answer but it is assumed the first "discard" is a mistake.  Should be "exhaust."  That is how Tomes typically work.

That's the way we play it, too.

#4 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:55 AM

That's the way we play it. In fact, we never noticed that mistake.

#5 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:57 AM

Tibs said:

That's the way we play it. In fact, we never noticed that mistake.

Same. We play it as exhaust and spend 2 movement points.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS