Questions regarding Hydra Spell,Talisman deck,Howl of the Wendigo etc

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 envenomed

envenomed

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:55 PM

I was reading some forum issues and related answers and what I saw triggered my curiosity to pose some questions too

1)As for the Hydra Spell,a relative issue occured while playing.I cast Toadify on character B who immediatedly cast Hydra Spell and decided to affect characters A(me),C,D. So,what happened? I rolled a 6 which actually toadified character B and then in my opinion,character B becomes the caster so he rolled the die for characters A,C,D. I want to emphasize the fact that with Hydra Spell you do not avoid the initial spell,just decide whether to split it to affect other characters and then you become the caster. Am I wrong?

2)About the Talisman deck.I once read that if the Talisman cards that come from the Talisman deck once they are discarded they return on Talisman deck thus becoming available. I believe that cards like Warlock Quests,Quests Reward and Talismans from Talisman Deck,once they have been discarded by any means,they are NOT returning to the decks.This makes also harder to find a Talisman and you need to attack other characters or praying to be lucky enough to find one in the adventure deck. What about this?Have I stated it correctly?

3)A noob question now.If you are about to gain a spell and you already possess the amount of spell allowed according to your current craft,you do gain a spell but discard one of your choice so thta you are within the allowance limit or you cannot gain a spell because you already have the specified amount of them?

4)Howl of the Wendigo,discards when you manage to take a life.It is prevented by armour it is still in play.Correct?These events that last for rounds are being placed somehere central or in the board that they were firstly drawn? Another example is sthe event that you take 1 gold for each time you roll 1 on die. Should it be left faceup on the space it was drawn or put it somewhere in the middle so that you may remind it

5)This one is the last and silly question. When you take the Hag as a follower,the previous followers are being sent to discard pile not be left in that space because the card stipulates 'discard them'.Hope to understand it correctly

Happy new year to everyone and thank you for your time

#2 EvilEdwin

EvilEdwin

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:21 PM

1) You've got the basics of Hydra spell correct, although the original caster rolls for each Todified player. There's a thorough example in this thread:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=129&efcid=1&efidt=401398&efpag=1#403036

2) Talisman cards return to the Talisman deck. Warlock Quests and Rewards, as you correctly highlighted, do not since they can only be encountered once. Removing Talisman cards from the game could potentially make for a very long game, especially if you're playing with all of the expansions.

3) If you're at your spell limit and you're told to gain a spell then you can't gain one. You can't voluntarily discard spells unless another card states so. The Arcane Archive being one of them, there are others as well.

4) Howl of the Wendigo stays until you make someone physically lose a life. You're right in assuming that it doesn't count if that life is prevented. With the Events that stay in play, they remain on the space until they're finished with and are then discarded.

5) You're right with Cursed By Hag discarding all of your Followers.

Happy New Year to you :)

#3 envenomed

envenomed

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:16 PM

First of all,I woulf like to thank you very much! Just a clarification.

1)Because it is not mentioned in the forum topic that you suggested me and the case is slight different,in my example even if the player B diverts the spell,he still suffers from it.You said that my basic thought was correct so I assume that this is correct too.

3)Oh,my friends will lynch me cause we were gaining spells even if we had the allowed number.This of course means that you should cast spells in a higher frequency if you want to be benefited by such cards.

#4 EvilEdwin

EvilEdwin

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

1) Yes, the person the spell was originally cast on still suffers its effects.

2) It's always good to to perhaps have fewer spells then your limit just in case. Of couse with so many decent spells around it's hard not to hang on to them!

#5 damzow

damzow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:38 AM

envenomed said:

1)As for the Hydra Spell,a relative issue occured while playing.I cast Toadify on character B who immediatedly cast Hydra Spell and decided to affect characters A(me),C,D. So,what happened? I rolled a 6 which actually toadified character B and then in my opinion,character B becomes the caster so he rolled the die for characters A,C,D. I want to emphasize the fact that with Hydra Spell you do not avoid the initial spell,just decide whether to split it to affect other characters and then you become the caster. Am I wrong?

you are partially right. after character A casts the toadify spell and char B casts hydra. char A rolled a 6 and char B becomes a slimy toad (:P). now, you asked if cahr B is the one who continue casting the toadify. what happens is that the original caster (char A) needs to roll the die for all the others. the hydra spell says that the caster of the hydra spell choose who the original spell (toadify) will be cast upon. in this case you are ******. not only you have the chance to become a toad when rolling fir all the other characters, you actually need to roll a die for yourself as well. so, when rolling for your self you need to pray that you will roll a 2 for the result - nothing happens. i hope that what i wrote makes sense :)

#6 The Graverobber

The Graverobber

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:13 AM

Hi

Just for further clarification (as my friends decided that your todify example wasn't relevant!)… If player A casts Siphon Strength on player B, and then player B casts Hydra and decides that the spell also affects player A what would the result be.

Player A in the scenario believes that the spell would have no effect on him since he cast the spell and would effectively be siphoning strength from himself. Player B believed that the spell would cancel out since Player A would siphon from Player B and player B would Siphon from Player A.

Thanks

#7 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:55 AM

The Graverobber said:

Hi

Just for further clarification (as my friends decided that your todify example wasn't relevant!)… If player A casts Siphon Strength on player B, and then player B casts Hydra and decides that the spell also affects player A what would the result be.

Player A in the scenario believes that the spell would have no effect on him since he cast the spell and would effectively be siphoning strength from himself. Player B believed that the spell would cancel out since Player A would siphon from Player B and player B would Siphon from Player A.

Thanks

Player A casts Syphon on player B and then player B casts the Hydra Spell and nominates player A. Player A takes 1 Strength from player B and adds it to his own Strength. Player A cannot take 1 Strength from himself, so player A was correct in his assumption. The Hydra Spell does not work like the Reflection Spell, rather the Spell affects multiple targets on behalf of the original caster (in this case though the Syphon Spell could not affect him).

Regards,

Ell.

#8 The Graverobber

The Graverobber

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:45 AM

Excellent thanks Eli! That should save us another one and half hour argument :D

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS