Can build stronghold on ruined city?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 XV8Crisis

XV8Crisis

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

Hey guys, would really appreciate some help on this question. I'm sure it's been asked before here, but I couldn't find it!

We hunted and searched for a definition of a 'city', 'razed', 'ruined' and 'stronghold' or any rules to help us with our question, but to no avail. Our question is this:

There's a season card that performs an influence bid in which the highest bidder destroys a city. Because the city is no longer there (it's flipped over to it's "ruined" side, but still remains on the city hex), can players then build a stronghold in that same hex? The rules state you can't build a stronghold where a  city is so.... can you now, in this case?

We'd really appreciate the help, it's our only question that we have no idea on how to answer - we're usually pretty good at figuring this stuff out, FAQing, reading into what the spirit of the rules intended, house ruling, being fair, etc. and so on.

#2 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:34 PM

Only city tokens prevent a stronghold from being built.  Thus, if the city is destroyed, you can then build a Stronghold in the area.

This was officially answered by Corey at some point; I've included it in my document of official rulings from Corey that you can download from Boardgamegeek.  Alas, though, this forum's copy/paste mechanism is kind of a pain, and I don't feel like wrestling with it.  I'll perhaps post a link later, but if you go to the Runewars page on BGG, you'll find the document in the Files section.

#3 Hinnyboy

Hinnyboy

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

XV8Crisis said:

There's a season card that performs an influence bid in which the highest bidder destroys a city. Because the city is no longer there (it's flipped over to it's "ruined" side, but still remains on the city hex), can players then build a stronghold in that same hex? The rules state you can't build a stronghold where a  city is so.... can you now, in this case?

A destroyed city is not flipped to its "ruined" side - it is removed from the board. There is no "ruined" side.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS