Best order to acquire expansions?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 garglebutt

garglebutt

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

At the risk of some energetic debate , anyone willing to share their view on which are the best first expansions to add to the base set?

Cheers

#2 thorgrim

thorgrim

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

Dunwich Horror adds a lot to the base game, even if you aren't playing with the Dunwich board.

#3 StarBurn

StarBurn

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:26 PM

urgh...you would be surprized as how much this question pops-up...

my default awnser, by decisions from when I first asked this are.

1. Dunwich - Adds a lot of content, especially new AO and Investigators,  and injury/madness cards.

2. King in Yellow - Cause its just awesome and captures the theme perfectly, plus great new content and blight cards, Don't forget the herald.

3. Kingsport - Mostly same as dunwich, only new perks would be The Epic battle cards and IMO a better rift mechanic than dunwich's vortices. Why is this 3rd then? The new investigators have abbilities that go beyond normal rules, 2 of them specifically if ever brought up on forum can start a hot topic....lol.

4. Curse of Dark Pharaoh - New content, barred from neighbour hood cards, exhibit items (I for one don't like the egyptian theme, some cards are poorly worded and cause massive confusion on how they are actually intended to be played. I for one will not be buying this expansion...ever...which I also think sux because the dual-coloured OW encounter that has you fight a AO is awesome)

?. Black Goat - When I asked this balck goat was not on market....lol...also... I think its a pretty awesom expansion, but donno where I would fit it, since I didn't play it.

#4 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:11 PM

Yeah start with Dunwich definately. Gives you extra places to travel to and introduces the madnes and injury cards. Also new characters and GOO. Then either King in Yellow or Black goat of the woods. Black goat of the woods if you play with the herald really ramps up the difficulty. After those two Either of the other two probably Kingsport first as said before it gives extra characters again who are superb and more GOO but it does tend to trap one player in Kingsport as they go around solving the rift troubles. 

#5 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:33 AM

• If you're well-versed with the mechanics of Arkham, and wish to have more variety in your investigators, locations, and Ancient Ones, then get Dunwich or Kingsport first (I, as do most people, enjoy Dunwich more—and it is more difficult, if that matters).

• If you want more theme without more complicated mechanics or more boards, get Curse of the Dark Pharaoh or King in Yellow.

• If you want more difficulty without more complicated mechanics or more boards, get King in Yellow or Black Goat of the Woods.

#6 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:00 PM

Here's some thoughts on what people thought was the best expansions.  Dunwich seems to be the winner:

http://www.boardgame.../geeklist/37812

#7 Argonel

Argonel

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:47 AM

I am suprised no one has made the obvious answer of get them all at once.  Once you have them all you can mix and match to your heart's content.

#8 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:27 AM

Argonel said:

I am suprised no one has made the obvious answer of get them all at once.  Once you have them all you can mix and match to your heart's content.

I am not surprised at all. Go onto a thread here or at BGG's Arkham Horror threads and say that your first expansion is going to be all of them, and you'll get a flurry of responses trying to discourage that decision.

Each expansion has new and expanded rules to consider, and playing with all expansions together—particularly with the two board expansions—requires you to keep track of A LOT of stuff as the game is going on.

The "mixing and matching" should really be reserved for someone who has experienced each expansion on its own a few times. I totally mix and match my expansions. But I've also been adding each expansion as they came out, so I've had years to rehearse the ones I already had. If I had gotten all the expansions at once, I would have lost my mind.

That said, if you want to buy all the expansions at once, that's great. But do not try to learn them all at once.

#9 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

1) DH ~Why...because adds more unstable locations, AOs and cool items plus the investigators are in league with the base game!

2) KiY ~Why...good challenge by introducing the Herald and a new way to loss via Act III, plus the items are pretty sweet.

3) KH ~Why...Epic Battle cards and the AO ones that about it, the board is ok and the investigators sort of tip the balance. Who likes playing rift duty? Not me!

4) BGotW ~Why...similar to KiY but I feel KiY just did a better job!

5) CotDP ~Stay away from this guy unless you have everything else...most of the cards leave me with "wtf" am I suppose to do? The other world cards where you fight AO are cool though!

#10 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:52 PM

I think I have to agree with Mrs Gamura on everything - order and reason included.  I might only suggest flip-flopping DH and KiY and then KH and BGotW if you are only interested in small boxes or spending less money at this time.

Buying everything is also OK but I don't recommend mixing it until you enjoy and experience each one separately.  AH is not a game like Carcassonne where mixing everything is a worthwhile endeavor.  it si more like Memoir 44 where you play with one expansion at a time with some overlap. 

#11 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

Tibs said:

• If you're well-versed with the mechanics of Arkham, and wish to have more variety in your investigators, locations, and Ancient Ones, then get Dunwich or Kingsport first (I, as do most people, enjoy Dunwich more—and it is more difficult, if that matters).

• If you want more theme without more complicated mechanics or more boards, get Curse of the Dark Pharaoh or King in Yellow.

• If you want more difficulty without more complicated mechanics or more boards, get King in Yellow or Black Goat of the Woods.

Hey, Black Goat has theme!  Cultists cultists everywhere so lets all take a drink.  And sacrifice a virgin.

#12 garglebutt

garglebutt

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:03 AM

Tibs said:

Ah! This is the kind of spin I had in mind. I'm a n00b so am inclined to be looking for more story rather than more rules at this point.

Thanks to all for feedback. I'm getting primed for some shopping at Cancon 2009 !

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS