• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Luxis

Luxis

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:00 AM

Hi,

after the last game of Runewars i thought about some special abilities for every fraction. As every unit has its own special ability (thats so cool), the fractions have not.

Here are some proposals/ideas, which are far away from good rules:

Undead

As undead do not need food, they should not be affected by the food restriction in winter.

OR

After a won battle the Undead player may place one Reanimate in his participating army for every 2 square or 1 hexagon unit, which was killed in the hostile army.

Elves

Elves are smart, especially in forests. So the strength at the end of a battle is increased by 2 or 3 in tiles with a wood resource.

OR

Elves have the gift to cooperate with a great amount of creatures, therefore the elvish player may draw 2 fate cards for every influence token, while trying to get allies from the neutral units. (This rule makes also sense for humans, as they are skilled in diplomacy)

OR

Elves have the ability to move unseen, hence they can do a surprise attack. Archers may attack always first, handle it like they have an initiative of 0.

Humans

2nd rule of the elves

OR

Human fortifications are well constructed and offer a great defence. Therefore armies, defending a human fortification have great trust in victory and will not be affected by routing.

So far i had these ideas, hope you like them. Please write comments and submit your own proposals.

I am curious to your ideas.

#2 monk

monk

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:29 AM

I like them. I'm yet to play (first game this weekend) will just use the standard rules for now, just to get used to the game. However, from reading the rule book I did think that there should be more 'abilities' specific to each race (rather tha just in battle). As mentioned though I'm yet to play so I may yet be suprised!!

#3 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:58 PM

Each faction does have a racial ability after a fashion in their unique developments.  Humans get added defense for their fortresses, undead can add a sudden boost to Strength at the end of a battle, etc.

As far as these suggested abilities go, they sound fine.  I might worry about the undead running rampant if they aren't bound by starvation, since they already have a penchant for building up hordes of troopies.  I've always been partial to the idea that undead fields are full of wolfsbane and other ingredients that power the arcane magick that keeps them animated, thus "starvation" for the undead is actually not having enough spell components to keep everyone (re)animated.

#4 Doc Belmont

Doc Belmont

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

Wait, you DO mean "Faction," and not "Fraction," right?

As in: "Human faction," and "Elf faction," and not "this apportionment of the Human or Elf army?"

EDIT: I'm going to assume "Faction." For a moment, I was thinking that you were proposing "Fractional" abilities to armies in addition to what they already possess.

#5 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:28 AM

Yes, it's a language-barrier thing I'm sure :)  Faction and Fraction have very similar meanings in many ways, that a lot of non-English-as-first-language speakers use "Fraction" in that sense.

#6 Luxis

Luxis

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

You are totally right!

Faction was the word i wanted to use. Sorry

#7 Doc Belmont

Doc Belmont

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:14 AM

Ah, no worries. In different contexts, both words make sense.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS