Any rumors about upcoming expansions?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Necrozius

Necrozius

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:47 AM

I love this game so much, despite having never, ever won at it.

The Reaper expansion, in my opinion, was awesome. I love the new characters and adventure cards. So much more variety.

I want more!

Has anyone heard any whispers of future expansions? I'm DYING to know...

#2 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:17 AM

Well, according to John Goodenough...

The expansion that follows The Reaper "introduces new characters, cards and even more surprises".

He also mentions that "the Third Talisman expansion alone will feature more "Toadarific" encounters than all of the 2nd Edition expansions combined".

Not much by way of whispers though I'm afraid...

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#3 duck

duck

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:40 AM

Lovely!

They can't get the expansions out fast enough in my opinion.  The Reaper expansion was fantastic.  We generally play with the Reaper being moved whenever a 1 or 2 is rolled to get it more invovled... which has helped.  The additional cards are great.

#4 ImpendingFoil

ImpendingFoil

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:21 PM

I'm hoping this game takes the Arkham Horror approach to expansions alternating between small and large expansions.  I though Reaper was great, but I'm hoping that next one adds new pieces to the board like older Talisman expansions and not just a bunch of new adventure cards.

#5 Gentlegamer

Gentlegamer

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:18 AM

ImpendingFoil said:

I'm hoping this game takes the Arkham Horror approach to expansions alternating between small and large expansions.  I though Reaper was great, but I'm hoping that next one adds new pieces to the board like older Talisman expansions and not just a bunch of new adventure cards.

I hope future expansions that add Adventure cards come with additional plastic trays for holding them. The main tray is tapped out already from the Reaper.

#6 ImpendingFoil

ImpendingFoil

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

As lame as it sounds, I always hope that games would just release a fancy empty box after they put out a few expansions.  I like keeping all my stuff together in the same box as much as possible and after a few expansions usually one box is not enough for a game.  I guess I'm saying is that after a few more expansions I really would not mind buying just a fancy looking empty box that holds everything.

Now if they made a box that could hold Arkham Horror and all of its expansions that would be amazing and I would be more then happy to spend like $20 for it.

#7 ImpendingFoil

ImpendingFoil

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

As lame as it sounds, I always hope that games would just release a fancy empty box after they put out a few expansions.  I like keeping all my stuff together in the same box as much as possible and after a few expansions usually one box is not enough for a game.  I guess I'm saying is that after a few more expansions I really would not mind buying just a fancy looking empty box that holds everything.

Now if they made a box that could hold Arkham Horror and all of its expansions that would be amazing and I would be more then happy to spend like $20 for it.

#8 Gaudy Scabbard

Gaudy Scabbard

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:57 PM

I really hope that at least one of the new expansions will add a new board to the game. This is what kicked the 2nd Edition of the game into high gear.

#9 Gentlegamer

Gentlegamer

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:58 AM

Gaudy Scabbard said:

I really hope that at least one of the new expansions will add a new board to the game. This is what kicked the 2nd Edition of the game into high gear.

Unless it is a smaller replacement board for the main board, I don't think that's likely. The main board is too big as is. It's even bigger than the BI version.

#10 ameritrasher

ameritrasher

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:14 AM

Gentlegamer said:

Gaudy Scabbard said:

Unless it is a smaller replacement board for the main board, I don't think that's likely. The main board is too big as is. It's even bigger than the BI version.

Obviously you haven't played many fantasy flight games. They are really into huge boards and the expansions keep making them bigger. Look at arkham horror. They have side boards that make the main board one and a half times as big. Same thing with world of warcraft game, and tides of iron, and the game of thrones. My advise is to find a bigger table

#11 Gentlegamer

Gentlegamer

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:12 AM

ameritrasher said:

Obviously you haven't played many fantasy flight games.

Guilty! Talisman is the first FFG published game I have played.

Talisman doesn't need a big board at all. After playing 2nd editions for years, going to the BI and now FFG is quite an increase, particularly with the larger character cards making a larger play area for each player. I would be happy if the current board was 1/3 smaller (a square).

#12 Zadok13

Zadok13

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:55 AM

Adventure games live and die by expansions, and I am ready to buy every single one of them.  I have a feeling FFG will do an excellent job supporting this game.

#13 Gorthuar

Gorthuar

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:40 AM

ameritrasher said:

My advise is to find a bigger table

Mine is: use the floor! :D Seriously, relocating there was the easiest thing to do with Talisman 2nd ed with Dungeon, City, Timescape and the Cave. *then* we added a fan-made outer-outer region, making the game even larger :D

I thank you for your time

Lord Gorthuar de Veris

Cult of Nagash

#14 Necrozius

Necrozius

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:24 AM

Looking at older versions of Talisman (and their expansions), I noticed that one of them (called something like the Dragon's Tower) was actually placed in the CENTER of the board, on top of the final region.

Pretty neat: instead of navigating one way or the other across a few encounters, you had to explore a mini-dungeon of sorts and be the first to defeat the dragon at the top! Not sure about what role the Talisman played... Perhaps you needed it to defeat the dragon?

Also, some of these early expansions were mini dungeons or towns and were "L" shaped pieces that you placed at each corner of the existing board. Soooo cool.

That kind of thing would be bad ass.

#15 Mind Robber

Mind Robber

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:08 AM

Necrozius said:

Looking at older versions of Talisman (and their expansions), I noticed that one of them (called something like the Dragon's Tower) was actually placed in the CENTER of the board, on top of the final region.

Pretty neat: instead of navigating one way or the other across a few encounters, you had to explore a mini-dungeon of sorts and be the first to defeat the dragon at the top! Not sure about what role the Talisman played... Perhaps you needed it to defeat the dragon?

Also, some of these early expansions were mini dungeons or towns and were "L" shaped pieces that you placed at each corner of the existing board. Soooo cool.

That was 3rd edition, the expansions were really well designed (except maybe the mountain).  The city was a vast improvement over 2nd edition.

You had to own a talisman to enter the dragons tower, and to win the game you had to kill the dragon who had a strength and craft of 12.

#16 HallowKnight

HallowKnight

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:16 AM

Actually in 3rd edition, you did not need a talisman to enter into the center tower.

If you did not have a talisman, you had to roll 1 dice and loose that many lives.  So if a character had stacked up several lives, like with the rune sword, they could charge right in without a talisman.  The equivillant on E4 would be if the valley of fire said to loose 1D6 lives when you enter the space, unless you have a talisman.

The other fun part about E3 is that once you used your talisman to cross into the tower, you must discard it!  one time use only.

#17 akuma508

akuma508

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:12 AM

HallowKnight said:

The other fun part about E3 is that once you used your talisman to cross into the tower, you must discard it!  one time use only.

That's the way We've all played the E2 and E4.....I thought that was the standard rule?

#18 Mind Robber

Mind Robber

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:14 PM

akuma508 said:

HallowKnight said:

That's the way We've all played the E2 and E4.....I thought that was the standard rule?

We use that as a house rule too.

Forgot about the loose d6 lives, atleast it gave every one a chance to chase the leader into the tower.

#19 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:42 PM

Mind Robber said:

Necrozius said:

That was 3rd edition, the expansions were really well designed (except maybe the mountain).  The city was a vast improvement over 2nd edition.

You had to own a talisman to enter the dragons tower, and to win the game you had to kill the dragon who had a strength and craft of 12.

I really hope that the Dragon Tower will return someday.

It's the best part of Talisman

I don't like the inner region of the 4th edition. It's always the same and not much of a challenge.

I would say... Bring it on

But it looks like that FFG will first bring out the other 3 realms after the dungeon expansion.

#20 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:08 AM

The rumors  we have heard so far from John Goodenough are:

*  One of the upcoming expansions will take full advantage of the light and dark sides of the fate tokens by introducing new game rules.

Dark fate will be easier to replenish but is more treacherous because other players may be able to use it against you. Light fate is more difficult to replenish but it may grant players additional benefits besides just rerolling a die.

Just imagine being able to force a player to roll a 1 result at the Enchantress!

* A new type of card will be introduced that has not yet been seen in any Talisman Revised 4th Edition expansion.

* Some of the cards feature new ways of being turned into a slimy little toad, including a new Spell.

* future expansions will introduce new Raider cards that can steal Followers, Objects, gold, and even Spells!

* One interesting thing to note about the miniatures is that it will feature the largest and smallest character in the game.

* Some expansions will even include cards from Bob Harris’s original prototype that were not published (Raging Bull is just the first example).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS