Does anyone have suggestions for solo strategies? I've lost my first five games so far. I've had a few bad luck factors on my side, like constantly randomly selecting the green team, and always drawing that "bring a marine back to life" event card before anyone has actually died. I usually try to make at least one SM group attack per round, but if they miss it seems like the gene stealers almost immediately get overwhelming. It also seems like in most cases losing even two space marines puts me at such a disadvantage that I die shortly after. Any strategy suggestions are very welcome.
Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:15 AM
I suppose I should note that I had mis-read the rule on doors to where I originally assumed they were basically worthless. I just played a game and actually got to use a few doors, but after a few bad rolls I lost a couple of marines and it was all downhill after that.
Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:31 AM
Eh, I think it just boils down to the luck of the draw. I have had real good luck using red, blue, and grey team.
Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:38 AM
Blue and red are definitely two of my favorites. I just feel like I'm doing something wrong. Is the game really this based on luck?
Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:56 AM
I've lost two marines in the first location (Void Lock) at times and still generally make it to the last location, winning even after losing two marines early isn't uncommon. There is luck, but there are also ways to mitigate it, Support tokens mostly. Event deck you have less control over, though the Purple team does have its Move + Activate. Use the Door as often as possible, it's your friend, probably your only friend in the hulk (Promethium Tank is like a drunk uncle, can be fun, but sometimes he gets nasty ). Know your spawn chances, Reds are most common, Greens the least common, plan your actions and facing around those terrains accordingly.
"A dirty mind is its own reward."
Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:21 AM
While it does come down to luck in the end, you can skew the odds a lot in your favour.
I just played a solo game where I lost three SMs in the first room and then another in the second room. In the third I was down to one for a while and then managed to get a marine back and made it to the last room where I might actually have still pulled off a win if I hadn't managed to roll two zeroes in a row.
I've only played one 2-player game and three solo games so far but this is some of the stuff I've learned:
* When drawing an Event Card that gives you a choice, take a look at the genestealer spawning and movement at the bottom of the card and make your choice based on how the board will look, not how it looks when you make the choice.
* When you want to move a SM, take a look at the SM occupying the space you want him to move to, might it be more beneficial to move that one instead?
* Remember to not just concentrate on the attacks. The two other cards for each team can be at least as effective given the right circumstances. Use the red team to get tokens on the door. Think of it as two deleayed kills. Too many genestealers? The blue teams move card can get rid of up to five of them, the blue teams support card can potentially kill a big swarm or the grey teams support card can let you ignore a swarm for a round.
* Use the doors a lot, but if you get 4-6 tokens on it, start considering if it might be overkill to activate it more times. If there's only 2 genestealers on the board and the blip pile is reaching the end, putting a 7th token on the door will probably be a waste of time.
* Don't allways aim to get through a room as fast as possible. If you have a lot of genestealers in play, you might get instanly overwhelmed when you enter the next room if you don't have a door with enough tokens. The blue teams move card lets you keep the number of genestealers in play down. Each room takes longer, but can be more managable and if most of your team is dead it lets you go through more event cards in the hope of getting an SM or two back.
That's the stuff I can come up with at the top of my head that I didn't know during my first game.
Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:35 AM
i suggest useing the yellow teem (there my favorite) ane try and put brother claudio between the red terain card and the orange one beause he can kill 3 geansteelers insantly but then you have to roll to see if he survies his own attack D: