I read the pages 228-230 about Oath-taking and was, quite frankly, a little disappointed with
the fact that the text under each oath only described the game mechanic details and results
from using these oathes. I was hoping for real oaths, real lines of shorter poetic hymns to
read out aloud in the beginning of each mission, done by the players together so as to evoke
the role-playing setting of the 40K-atmosphere for Spcae marines about to go into a mission.
But no... There wasn't anything of the kind to be found! So, I sat down immediately and
tried to put together six short oath hymns, one for each kind of oath and each with only six
lines, so they wouldn't be too long to read. Here they are. Let me see what you think of this.
(The last one, Oath of the weapon, I thought would be read out loud when marines do their
martial training with close combat weapons and the like.)
Oath of the Astartes:
1. We are the clenched fingers of His fist
2. Crashing down upon the enemy
3. We are the red hot flames of His rage
4. Directed towards the dark
5. Never forget your combined power
6. Never forget to burn for your brothers!
Oath of the Emperor:
1. He is the Father of our father
2. He is the beginning and the end
3. With Him lies all our loyalty, all our faith
4. We, the sons of His sons,
5. Are the instrument, the weapon,
6. And the wrath of His will!
Oath of glory:
1. Do not stand when you can leap
2. Do not walk when you can fly
3. Make the leap of faith for Him
4. Take flight as the Angels of Death
5. And land upon the head of the heathen
6. To crush him under a heavy boot!
Oath of knowledge:
1. We know our enemy
2. We hear his steps
3. We see where he treads
4. We reach in silence
5. For our weapons
6. Of knowledge and preparation!
Oath of loyalty:
1. Watch the backs of your brothers
2. Watch the angle of blindness
3. Look up, look down, look within
4. Look left, look right, look without
5. Be the eyes of anger
6. Ready to spew the fury!
Oath of the weapon:
1. We drill, we drill, we drill!
2. We drill, we drill, we drill!
3. To kill, to kill, to kill!
4. To kill, to kill, to kill!
5. To ensure the Emperor’s will!
6. To ensure the Emperor’s will!