Setting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 caradoc

caradoc

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:30 AM

I've been thinking a little about the future of Battlelore, and the things I want to see.

I'm really excited about the newly released expansions, and the ones upcoming - and I hope all of those and the French sets sell well for FFG so we'll see more support in the future.

One thing I think is missing from this game is a setting.  I'm not talking about crowbarring Battlelore into Terrinoth or anything like that - but a setting of it's own.  To my mind this could be a great souce of inspiration for the players, community and even designers of Battlelore and it's various products.  A setting could, I think, reinvigorate some of the high spirited community into action with painting guides, setting based scenarios, scenario ideas, expansion ideas and story ideas.  It could provide FFG with a sense of purpose and direction for the the future of the game.  It could also give the players a sense of what may be to come - which is what many of us have been asking for.

Are there any other things a setting would do for Battlelore?  I for one would love to see it.

To my mind one way of creating a setting would be through a scenario book - where background information, maps, unit color schemes, stories, and so forth are intermingled with scenarios based off 'historical' events.  This, almost RPG like product, would be a wonderful addition to the game in my view - and could provide a way for FFG to continue to support BL through official scenarios, as well as inspire the community with a glimpse of the world in FFGs vision.

Cheers,

Giles.

#2 Elberon

Elberon

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:07 PM

In my homebrew rules I have a campaign map for Europe loosely based on historical boundaries and substituting nations for my diy races so I have given it some thought.  I would be great to see Mr Borgs notes on his vision of the world as I think after however many years of playing it would be very rich indeed.

I still think the world of BL would make a great role play game as well, in some ways it cries out for one as developing those two streams would create an awesome world.

Not too sure if I've answered your question thinking about it, I'll come back to you...

Chris

#3 caradoc

caradoc

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:41 PM

Seeing Mr. Borg's notes on the setting would be fascinating.  I'd love to see FFG take a serious approach to creating a setting for the Battlelore game.  I also think an RPG could be really interesting.  It would be fascinating to see FFG take a leap of faith with an RPG as a way of developing a rich setting for the Battlelore game.  Even something short and indie would be interesting.

Creating a living setting could also have some interesting potentials.  Whichever way you cut it though - I'd love to see more for the world of the Battlelore - maps, stories, history, cultures, scenarios, characters, lore masters, art, and so on.

I think that sort of material could really give a lot of momentum to the future of Battlelore, as both a a game around which there is a community/hobby, and for the future direction/s of the game.

Cheers,

Giles.

#4 Old Dwarf

Old Dwarf

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:57 PM

Drop this thread back into the old DoW BL Forum of a few years ago & it would fit right in .BL was hyped as a Fantasy alternative 100 Year War Europe Setting.We waited & waited & that Setting was never developed .BL remains a basically a 1 off Game of Generic Fantasy Feudal combat .Many of us like Elberon have just gone ahead & created a Game World for BL so that we can run campaigns.

If FFG is serious about  "Classic BL" they really need to give it a Game World & create a real focus for the Game & the product line.

OD

A Dwarf in Winter

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS