Xbox 360 Live Arcade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Urlock Gaur

Urlock Gaur

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:22 AM

It is my belief that there are many games that would translate very well into Live Arcade titles.  FFG really needs to expand into this area.  You would be hard pressed to find a game that wouldn't do well.  Imagine playing Horus Heresy or Runewars on a simulated board with everything tracked by the game.

One other thing that people have never really done before was to create a virtual play environment for RPG games using the 360 as a tabletop.  You could have a GM "run" a game using tools in the program to allow you to show the dice rolls, track encounter info, etc. all the while using the headsets and cameras for interaction.  You can use the "party" system to do this somewhat right now, but it could be tailored for the system.

Just my two cents.

#2 deathjester25

deathjester25

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:44 AM

Ill 2nd this. Mtg and Panzer general are my favorite games on XBOX. More board games would be nice.  Battlelore or any of the LCG would be great. I think there was a version of Talisman in the works but it got scrapped.

#3 Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:05 AM

No thanks. First off a video game does not have the same appeal as a board game.  A video game is just pictures on a screen where as the board game has a much more tactile aspect to it.  Board games are collectible precisely because of the pieces that are in them.  Take Dust Tactics or Battles of Westeros for instance.  Sure you could make a video game version of those.  But in the video version you can't collect your own pieces.  You can't paint them your preferred color scheme and ten years from now when X-Box is gone you can still play your board game version of Dust Tactics and BofW.  

Video games function on established software and that software is unchanging.  As with all video games, sooner or later some uber video gamer figures out where the flaws or the sort of "loopholes" are in the game play and exploits them to his advantage.  That's just a fact of video games.  I'm not saying that board games don't also have aspects about them that gamers can try and exploit but the difference is you can have house rules with your board game and you can't with your video game.  If you know that someone in your group has become so adept at a certain game that he is going to try and exploit a certain feature or shortcoming in the rules to his advantage, you simply change the rule.  

Finally board games require a higher level of thinking than do video games.  Sitting around and pushing A and the trigger button doesn't require any real brain power and frankly I'd rather be challenged by my games.  I'm not saying video games don't have their place.  They are insanely succcesful so obvioulsy they have a certain appeal.  I've certainly played my share of them.  But I just think that taking a game like Runewars that has so many great pieces and making it digital is just not as good as the "real thing" as it were.  The video version of Axis & Allies never did as well as the actual board game to my knowledge.  There's just some things that are better off when played on a table where you can sit around with your friends and have a few beers while playing.  It's not just the game for the games sake but more of a social gathering.  Video games have never been good at that because the social gathering takes place via a headset instead of face to face.  Have you ever put your headset on and listened to the converstaion while playing a game of Call of Duty for instance.  The IQ level is somewhere around 40 or 50 if you're lucky and frankly I don't have any desire to listen to some nine year old kid try to curse out a grown man every thirty seconds.  

As you might imagine, I don't really like video games.  I've had my fair share of them to be sure.  I've been through five X-Box 360 systems. lol  I finally got rid of my last one and haven't looked back and don't miss it a bit.  It's gaming for people with no attention span and no real cognitive skill.   

#4 deathjester25

deathjester25

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:09 AM

I understand what you mean about the people who play on XBOX live. Its why never use a headset. On the other hand though i really dont have a chance to play board games more then 3-4 times a month. Because of that i really enjoy games like memoir 44 online. Plus there isnt many turn based games out there that arent anime themed.

#5 John Jacob Jingleheimerschmidt

John Jacob Jingleheimerschmidt

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:16 AM

I'd LOVE to see Xbox versions of stuff like Horus Heresy. As mentioned above, playing the physical game is better but, remember, people can't always find other players to game with (I work nights, so it's real hard for me). It's also a plus for FFG as the video game might convince someone to buy the physical game. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS