Music suggestion?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Galdred

Galdred

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:04 PM

I was wondering about what music would be best suited to a deathwatch campaign. Something like the main theme of the computer game Wh40K: Chaos Gate, the Imperial March of the Empire Strikes Back, or Carmina  Burana seem to fit the bill so far, but that's a bit short for a campaign playlist. 

Which music pieces have you tried playing, or do you think would fit there?

#2 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:43 PM

Galdred said:

I was wondering about what music would be best suited to a deathwatch campaign. Something like the main theme of the computer game Wh40K: Chaos Gate, the Imperial March of the Empire Strikes Back, or Carmina  Burana seem to fit the bill so far, but that's a bit short for a campaign playlist. 

Which music pieces have you tried playing, or do you think would fit there?

Immediate Music's trailerhead album (checkout the lacrimosa track). Gregorian chants work well also for when the action slows down. Beyond that you can youtube for further inspiration. Just search for epic music. You'll find stuff from artists such as Two Steps From Hell, X-Ray Dog, Beyond Music, PostHaste Music, Veigar, UBM Music, etc.

Alex

#3 Lochtain

Lochtain

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:16 AM

The Dawn Of War II soundtrack is pretty good, and so is the Halo soundtracks.

#4 korvass

korvass

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:25 AM

Gears of War 1 & 2 soundtracks are also highly useful, as is the Immediate Music stuff (as mentioned before).

Personally, I'd stay away from rock, metal, industrial, or other 'modern' music, because quite simply, I don't think Slayer or NIN have any place in this kind of game setting, but that's just me. :)

Have you guys considered sound effects as well? Lately I've been browsing a site called FreeSound (http://www.freesound.org/). It's a sort of open source database of sound effects. I've been compiling a list of atmospherics, like wind and such, and factory and other effects for the Extraction mission. If you don't mind taking the time, there's tons of really useful stuff on there.

#5 Methsdrinker

Methsdrinker

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:33 AM

Whilst Slayer and NIN may not foot the bill, I can assure you that Iron Maiden will. I'd play that at my wedding!!!

#6 Von Todkopf

Von Todkopf

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:13 AM

A recent addition to my CD library, the "Tron: Legacy" soundtrack is quite good for the 40k setting. It's all music clouds, not full pieces anyway. There are two or three "tension" type tracks, some two-three "training montage" pieces and some "epic panorama" types as well. Such a shame they're all so short and not developed beyond the lead idea.

#7 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:15 AM

Von Todkopf said:

A recent addition to my CD library, the "Tron: Legacy" soundtrack is quite good for the 40k setting. It's all music clouds, not full pieces anyway. There are two or three "tension" type tracks, some two-three "training montage" pieces and some "epic panorama" types as well. Such a shame they're all so short and not developed beyond the lead idea.

Position Music - Vol.4

Conan Soundtrack

Alex

#8 Von Todkopf

Von Todkopf

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:35 AM

Oh, yes, that one is legendary, is it not? Serving generation after generation of role-players, hail they from a sci-fi or a fantasy setting. Pure, unadulterated gold, that one. 

#9 Methsdrinker

Methsdrinker

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:35 PM

Definitely second the Conan soundtrack, and would even possibly suggest the Dune soundtrack.

On a tangential note, and slightly out of sync, but what about the Band of Brothers soundtrack? A little leftfield maybe, but nothing else sums up what the killteam are about?

#10 Von Todkopf

Von Todkopf

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:06 AM

Yes, Dune works for my 40k as well. Good suggestion. 

#11 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:18 AM

Von Todkopf said:

Yes, Dune works for my 40k as well. Good suggestion. 

Try Mozart's Requiem.

Alex

#12 Phototoxin

Phototoxin

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:06 PM

You could try some Jesper  Kyd from Hitman games...

#13 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

I want to buy the Ultramarines Soundtrack when it comes out. That was a real highlight of the movie.

Alex

#14 Razorboy

Razorboy

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

I have a friend who's a professional studio mixer, he mixed up a few tracks for my Dark Heresy and Deathwatch games, using Lustmord, Dawn of War soundtrack, ambient sounds (rain, gunfire, etc.), Total War soundtrack. Here are the links:

I'll root around so I can find a couple more tracks he mixed for me.

Also I use the following soundtracks:

Hunt of Red October

Starship Troopers

Orthodox Monastery Choir (Sergiev Posad album, but any will do)

A couple of Gregorian chants compilations

Best of Red Army Choir compilations

Dawn of War 1 and 2 soundtracks

Anything by Lustmord and Aphex Twins for dark ambience

Laibach

Ace Combat 5 soundtrack

Traitor General soundtrack

Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate soundtrack

Medieval: Total War 2 soundtrack

Gladiator

Kingdom of Heaven

13th Warrior

And various single tracks I can't recall now. :)

#15 Lucrosium Malice

Lucrosium Malice

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

Conan is a great soundtrack to have, not sure about for 40K though to be honest. 40K needs to have a dark, gritty feel to it. (Basil is a great situational composer, also did Quigley Down Under as well.)

I will admit that I found I had the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack and there are some good ones on there, but also not really dark enough.

AK suggested one of my current fav's, Two Steps from Hell. There are several of their songs on You Tube to listen to before getting the CD/Download.

#16 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:26 AM

Lucrosium Malice said:

Conan is a great soundtrack to have, not sure about for 40K though to be honest. 40K needs to have a dark, gritty feel to it. (Basil is a great situational composer, also did Quigley Down Under as well.)

I will admit that I found I had the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack and there are some good ones on there, but also not really dark enough.

AK suggested one of my current fav's, Two Steps from Hell. There are several of their songs on You Tube to listen to before getting the CD/Download.

If you like them, check out James Dooley/Position Music. In general I find the Amazon/Youtube combination very helpful in finding out what kind of music you like, what fits and what related artists sound like.

Here, try Ira Deorum:

positionmusic.com/album.php

Alex

#17 Agent.0.Fortune

Agent.0.Fortune

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:05 PM

Coincidently, I this track just started on my play list.

I am a HUGE fand of NIghtwish especially as W40k themed music (operatic/rock), but their 10th Man Down especially appropirate.

But if you like more classical than metal, Lux Aeterna is amazing.

#18 mjbarrett

mjbarrett

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:54 AM

what about 'requiem for a dream' or 'rammstein' they are just my personal opinions, might sound *** to you

#19 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

mjbarrett said:

what about 'requiem for a dream' or 'rammstein' they are just my personal opinions, might sound *** to you

Because music can sound homosexual... I think you meant "rubbish".

I'd suggest some Nightwish, Abney Park, several songs from the Angel (of Buffy fame) soundtrack, same goes for some of the Battlestar Galactica soundtrack, Dethklok, Disturbed, Evanescence, H.I.M, Lunatica, Mortiis, Rammstein, Sirenia, VAST and Within Temptation. Those are the songs on my playlist when I decide to play music during my sessions.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#20 korvass

korvass

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:47 PM

If you prefer cinematic music during games, like I do, check out the 2010 A-Team movie soundtrack - lots of dramatic kicks and heavy military-style percussion. I also added some stuff like the recent GI Joe movie, and (might sound weird) the most latest version of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie. Seriously, put that soundtrack on and picture your kill-team searching the halls of a Necron city - creepy, man! Very creepy!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS