games end with too many cards in play

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JayDe

JayDe

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:27 PM

Does anyone else find that by the end of the game, Shub Nigguruth / Mi Go end up having 15 - 25 characters in play and as the agency/miskatonic i was getting up there myself. I find this is a regular occurance and it makes the games zero fun when tactics are gone and everything is brute force.

I know some story cards come up that may assist, but not very often and even then players hardly use them.

:(

#2 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:04 PM

JayDe said:

Does anyone else find that by the end of the game, Shub Nigguruth / Mi Go end up having 15 - 25 characters in play and as the agency/miskatonic i was getting up there myself.

Not really. It did happen quite often about a year or so ago when a game was effectively reduced to a stalemate by the Ravager from the Deep if the opponent player didn't have an effective counter. Since then lots of ways to counter the Ravager have been added to the game, so I haven't seen it in a long time.

I've never seen a similar problem with a Mi-Go deck, though.

#3 The_Big_Show

The_Big_Show

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:10 AM

JayDe said:

Does anyone else find that by the end of the game, Shub Nigguruth / Mi Go end up having 15 - 25 characters in play and as the agency/miskatonic i was getting up there myself. I find this is a regular occurance and it makes the games zero fun when tactics are gone and everything is brute force.

I know some story cards come up that may assist, but not very often and even then players hardly use them.

:(

I tend to find the same thing happens. Among those of us who play it here, it's common to find a dozen or so characters in play at least. Oddly enough when I've seen some vids on Youtube of games (teaching vids mainly) they seem to have 5 or 6 characters per side. I really can't fathom it out why we end up with so many in play.

Does no one else find that they end up with silly numbers of characters in play?

#4 The_Big_Show

The_Big_Show

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:43 AM

In fact here is a good example. I appreciate that this is probably more of a training demo than anything but in pretty much every game I;ve played of CoC even going back to the CCG days, there are always 2-3 times the numbers of characters in play than this.

www.youtube.com/watch

#5 TheProfessor

TheProfessor

• Members
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:37 AM

I've been trying to get a deck that uses Norm Grabowski for the win, but I almost never get 11 characters out at once.

#6 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

The_Big_Show said:

Does no one else find that they end up with silly numbers of characters in play?

Well, most of the decks I've seen focus strongly on wounding/destroying characters. It's not unusual for a third of the cards in a deck to serve that purpose. There are also a couple of ways to "clean the table", i.e. remove all characters from play. Imho, a well-designed deck shouldn't have a problem preventing an opponent from amassing an army of characters.

The "Ravager-stalemate" I mentioned above was at least partially caused by decks that were semi-random, i.e. _not_ well-designed. Otherwise, they'd have included cards to deal with the Ravager.

#7 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:21 PM

The whole point of playing a swarm deck is to be able to churn out bodies to replace the ones who are being wounded/destroyed. If you're not destroying your Shub opponent's people, expect to see a lot of them by the end of the game.

#8 Cuacuani

Cuacuani

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:30 AM

All my games seem to end up with my opponents having 14 characters and me having 2 if I'm lucky. I think this may have more to do with my playing ability more than anything else.

The_Big_Show: I think that the reason our games end up being massive dude parties comes down to a combination of our local meta and the card pool. We all seem to love cheap little dudes and none of us play really dedicated wounding decks as a means for slowing down the rush - we all tend to try and out-swarm the other guy. Also, I can only think of two mass-destroy cards (off the top of my head, I'm at work and don't have access to the deckbuilder). Dimensional Rift normally gets blown up before it goes off and In An Unmarked Grave is expensive (and you pretty much have to be playing mono-Cthulhu to have a hope of getting the requisite resources).

#9 B_P

B_P

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:37 AM

It depends of the kind of deck you're playing with.

If you don't have a recusrive way of killing the opponent's characters, it is obvious you'll have a problem at the end of the game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS