Suggested nastier attacks for AOs.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewClarke

AndrewClarke

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:05 AM

Many of the AOs in the base game are almost ridiculously easy to beat in the final battle. I've been trying to come up with some slightly nastier attacks for them, as follows:

Yig: Each investigator must pass a Speed(+0) check or be Devoured. This check's modifer decreases by 1 each turn (-1 the 2nd turn, -2 the 3rd turn, etc.)

Nyarlathotep: Each investigator must pass a Lore(-1) check or lose 1 Clue token. This check's modifer decreases by 1 each turn  and the number of clue tokens lost increases by 1 each turn (-2 check or lose 2 clue tokens the 2nd turn, etc.). Any investigator with no Clue tokens left at any point during the battle is Devoured.

Hastur: Each investigator must make a Luck(+0) check. Investigators who pass lose 1 Sanity; investigators who fail lose 3 Sanity. This check's modifer decreases by 1 each turn (-1 the 2nd turn, -2 the 3rd turn, etc.).

Shub-Niggurath: Each investigator must pass a Sneak(+0) [1] check or be devoured. The difficulty of this check increases by 1 each turn ( [2] the second turn etc.) Investigators may spend monster trophies as if they represented clue tokens in an attempt to pass this check.

Yog-Sothoth: Each investigator must pass a Will(+0) check or lose 1 gate trophy.  Any investigator with no gate trophies left is Devoured. This check's modifer decreases by 1 each turn (-1 the 2nd turn, -2 the 3rd turn, etc.)

Ithaqua:  Each investigator must make a Fight(+0) check. Investigators who pass lose 1 Stamina; investigators who fail lose 3 Stamina. This check's modifer decreases by 1 each turn (-1 the 2nd turn, -2 the 3rd turn, etc.).

Thoughts? I leave Cthulhu and Azathoth unchanged (Cthulhu was hard enough), and I tweaked Yog-Sothoth just to keep the modifier in line with the others. 

#2 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:01 AM

I don't find Final Battles particularly easy once you take into account their modifier and Resistance/Immunities.  But I usually always play with 4 investigators. 

However, you may want to check out Kingsport which adds in teh Epic battle cards.  It makes the final battle less predictable and more dangerous.

#3 Kobu

Kobu

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:42 AM

I really don't see the need to strengthen AOs beyond what has been done with the Epic Battle cards. There are different challenge levels between them to make each game different. Yig is not meant to be as big of a threat as Cthulhu for example.

#4 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:20 AM

Epic Battle cards are what you need and if there not evil enough for you there may be something wrong with you 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS