Daoloth and other promotional items

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:40 AM

I didn't expect FFG to have made the AOs available, but I'm appalled that only one guy has uploaded a cell phone pic of the new AOs.

I took the liberty of making them in Strange Eons, using the Daoloth picture uploaded to FFG's Arkham Nights 2011 announcement page.

Revised Cthulhu AO sheet

Daoloth AO sheet

And for those of you who never saw my original thread, since Daoloth doesn't have any sinster plots, so I made them:

Daoloth Sinister Plot backside

Daoloth Sinister Plot 1

Daoloth Sinister Plot 2

Daoloth Sinister Plot 3

Here's the Oliver Grayson card, for the curious:

Oliver Grayson ally card

Personally I think this ability is insanely powerful. But that may be just to counteract the fact that there are no encounter cards available to gain him.

Here is the new Hastur, premiered at Arkham Nights 2011:

It took me a while to get used to the flat –5 modifier rather than the awesome-on-paper –X. But the rest of the revisions are undeniably better.

Here's the Danced of the Damned Mythos card. Looks fun and challenging, and the "starting rumor variant" guarantees both that, unlike Grayson, this card will see play; and that you won't get an early-game rumor card, which usually sucks.

Here is the new Yig, premiered at Arkham Nights 2012

#2 Solan

Solan

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:04 AM

Thanks, Tibs!  I appreciate the Sinister Plots and the very clear AO card pictures. 

#3 zealot12

zealot12

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:22 AM

Thanks a lot. We're gonna try out Daoloth in our next session.

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,507 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:12 PM

Good work ;-) Suggestions / hints on the program you used for rendering the Daoloth image?

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:14 PM

I used photoshop, and with Free Transform (Ctrl-T) I was able to stretch each corner individually (hold Alt) so that I could eliminate the point perspective.

Then I downloaded a trial version of a program called AKVIS. I didn't have to change the noise-removal settings too much from their default values. It also looks like the program can make photos look like paintings to a better degree than Photoshop can. This feature may be of interest to people who want to design investigators and are using photographs as their images.

#6 ricedwlit

ricedwlit

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

Many thanks - every week I keep expecting FFG to post these and they never seem to get around to it.

#7 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,507 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:52 PM

Tibs said:

I used photoshop, and with Free Transform (Ctrl-T) I was able to stretch each corner individually (hold Alt) so that I could eliminate the point perspective.

Then I downloaded a trial version of a program called AKVIS. I didn't have to change the noise-removal settings too much from their default values. It also looks like the program can make photos look like paintings to a better degree than Photoshop can. This feature may be of interest to people who want to design investigators and are using photographs as their images.

That's a great thing to know. Thanks a lot!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#8 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:38 AM

Tibs: hero of the week!

#9 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:09 AM

Could you post the strange eons files please?

#10 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

Hmm. Where can I post stuff like .eon files?

I suppose you could email me:

tibs.chris@gmail.com

#11 Masterjts

Masterjts

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:23 AM

ricedwlit said:

Many thanks - every week I keep expecting FFG to post these and they never seem to get around to it.

If you look at the original picture you will see expansion symbols in the bottom right corner of the sheets. If they stick with their current release pattern we are in for a new board expansion sometime this summer and my guess is that those two make it into that expansion. That would explain why they are not releasing them for free (excluding their promotional at arkham nights.)

One can hope at least :)

#12 H.P. Lovecraft

H.P. Lovecraft

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

I don't remember Lovecraft mentioning that Cthulhu had a brother

#13 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:16 AM

H.P. Lovecraft said:

I don't remember Lovecraft mentioning that Cthulhu had a brother

You'd be right! That's why August Derleth took it upon himself to declare that Hastur was Cthulhu's half-brother, and they oppose each other because Cthulhu is water elemental and Hastur is air elemental.

Almost forgot to mention Brian Lumley's deity, Kthanid, who is not only Cthulhu's alleged brother, but is also benevolent to mankind.

#14 RocksLikeToast

RocksLikeToast

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:38 AM

sooooo...these are official FFG?...what were they going to be from?

#15 mi-go hunter

mi-go hunter

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

RocksLikeToast said:

sooooo...these are official FFG?...what were they going to be from?

Oh, both Cthulhu and Daoloth are promotional Ancient Ones, handed out as freebies during the Aarkham Nights event at Roseville, Minnesota. So these aren't a part of any expansions yet, but they are official.

#16 RocksLikeToast

RocksLikeToast

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

ahhh ok...Cthulu is just new art right? while Daoloth is completely new?

I'm hoping that they make at least one more official expansion... doesn't have to be a board but maybe a big card expansion that adds a few cards to all the cards from all the expansions? (more AO, Investigators, mythos, OW, encounters (for all boards as well), exhibit, corruption, cult encounters, etc, etc...)

#17 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

I couldn't make out the expansion symbol well enough to re-create it for the AO sheets.

RocksLikeToast said:

ahhh ok...Cthulu is just new art right? while Daoloth is completely new?

I'm hoping that they make at least one more official expansion... doesn't have to be a board but maybe a big card expansion that adds a few cards to all the cards from all the expansions? (more AO, Investigators, mythos, OW, encounters (for all boards as well), exhibit, corruption, cult encounters, etc, etc...)

Cthulhu isn't merely new art. "New-thulhu" does everything he used to, except that he has two new abilities: Cultists are aquatic movement-type, and if someone runs out of sanity/stamina, his maximum sanity/stamina is reduced by 1.

#18 EcnoTheNeato

EcnoTheNeato

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

Tibs said:

You'd be right! That's why August Derleth took it upon himself to declare that Hastur was Cthulhu's half-brother, and they oppose each other because Cthulhu is water elemental and Hastur is air elemental.

Almost forgot to mention Brian Lumley's deity, Kthanid, who is not only Cthulhu's alleged brother, but is also benevolent to mankind.

Don't forget that Cthulhu (allegedly) has a daughter, too! Cthylla is her name, I believe. What a twist!

#19 mi-go hunter

mi-go hunter

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

EcnoTheNeato said:

Tibs said:

Don't forget that Cthulhu (allegedly) has a daughter, too! Cthylla is her name, I believe. What a twist!

Wow, never knew that... I wonder if Cthulhu is a nice dad.

#20 ricedwlit

ricedwlit

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

Tibs:
Cthulhu isn't merely new art. "New-thulhu" does everything he used to, except that he has two new abilities: Cultists are aquatic movement-type, and if someone runs out of sanity/stamina, his maximum sanity/stamina is reduced by 1.

The latter ability is a killer, especially for the investigators which would normally start with 3 max sanity or stamina. Not only do they start with just two as before, it only take two trips to the asylyum/hospital to devour. Start with one strike, two more and you're out!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS