Vortex of Doom and Battle-Brothers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ignace Zane

Ignace Zane

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:40 PM

Yesterday the psyker of the kill team while casting a psychic power has generated a psychic phenomena...and rolled "A Hole in the World"

He failed the agility test, so he has take so much damage that would be dead. He decided to burn permanently a fate point to survive. 

The battle brother falled into the vortex...but quite later the vortex burped him out covered in violet and smoked gel.

His armour was not seal due to the damage taken, what malus, story, quirk can he gain by this adventure?

Emperor Bless Adeptus Astartes and man kind

#2 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:33 PM

Ignace Zane said:

Yesterday the psyker of the kill team while casting a psychic power has generated a psychic phenomena...and rolled "A Hole in the World"

He failed the agility test, so he has take so much damage that would be dead. He decided to burn permanently a fate point to survive. 

The battle brother falled into the vortex...but quite later the vortex burped him out covered in violet and smoked gel.

His armour was not seal due to the damage taken, what malus, story, quirk can he gain by this adventure?

Emperor Bless Adeptus Astartes and man kind

He has spent any time in the warp? Exposed? Unprotected by wards?

You're aware that upon reemerging he has to be considered a potential force of Chaos by all the other marines until a thorough check by the DW's Chaplains, Librarians and Apothecaries has been made? And even then any Black Templar will forever be suspicious of the fellow.

And unless the armour was protected by wards, it wouldn't have protected him anyway so that's not the point.

Lots and lots of corruption points are a must anyway. Given that even mere proximity to the thing causes 1d10 corruption, gaining 3d10 corruption is an absolute minimum, I'd say.

Beyond that you should be careful about quirks relating to that... it's too easy to end up being regarded as corrupted. It's not that it can be done but you see... the rest of the Deathwatch will be very, very touchy about any brother who has had direct exposure to the warp.

I think that all of that should be malus enough.

Alex

#3 Ignace Zane

Ignace Zane

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:18 PM

Indeed you are right  about the quirk. Any strange thing will be watch as a mutation...and punished with death.

He was wearing a standard power armour, no ward and no protection. 

What do you think about a bonus to detect him of +50 when an enemy psyker use psiniscense? Now the battle brother, "touched" by the warp, looks like a torch in the dark void. Plus the corruption points as you suggest.

Many Thanks!!! 

The Emperor may have mercy of his soul...because Deathwatch will not!

#4 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:25 PM

Ignace Zane said:

Indeed you are right  about the quirk. Any strange thing will be watch as a mutation...and punished with death.

He was wearing a standard power armour, no ward and no protection. 

What do you think about a bonus to detect him of +50 when an enemy psyker use psiniscense? Now the battle brother, "touched" by the warp, looks like a torch in the dark void. Plus the corruption points as you suggest.

Many Thanks!!! 

The Emperor may have mercy of his soul...because Deathwatch will not!

In that case Warp Creatures will detect him too and probably take interest... if your malus turns out too severe in the long run, you might want to give the player a small bonus to offset any excess negatives - he has been exposed to the warp without falling to Chaos (or has he? ) after all.

Alex

#5 Thebigjul

Thebigjul

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:12 AM

Maybe you could have something like all psykers using a power within a Willpower x 2m are going to roll for phenomena on a 9 or 10.

Maybe can he be host for a demon and needing to be exorcisted later when the demon reveal himself. (one chapter use this technique to be less vulnarable against taint of the warp) It gives you a good price for the mistake and a possible strange avantage for later.( look at the radical handbook for DH for the rules of possession and exorcism).

Maybe he is weaker against warp attack or attack with force or/and demon trait havinfg -10 to -30 against warp power resistance test and +2 to +5 dmg when hit by a weapon?

Maybe he has been cursed or blessed or the two by power behond the veil and you can make him reroll 2 or 3 roll during the game when he's succesfull and let him reroll half that count when he's failling the roll.

Maybe his soul had been burned during the exposure and become an intouchable... or maybe does he gain psy rating +1 and one to 2 dark power from the edge of the abyss book. he ha now the choice to fight against his urge to use this power and the sanctity of his soul.

And at last as it had been said before no less than 3d10 of corruption point and same in insanity.

#6 Anonymus

Anonymus

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:35 AM

Make him a daemonhost per the Dark heresy rules. At least he is still alive and it will be a funny twist for everyone if it can be kept secret.

#7 Bazleebub

Bazleebub

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:18 AM

He did burn the fate point, seems a little harsh to be punishing the player for how the GM decided that fate point would save him.

I honestly wouldn't go further than some corruption / insanity points and some temporary effect to keep him out of the fight for a while.

#8 Ignace Zane

Ignace Zane

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:01 AM

Many thanks to all for the tips. 

#9 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:12 PM

Bazleebub said:

He did burn the fate point, seems a little harsh to be punishing the player for how the GM decided that fate point would save him.

I honestly wouldn't go further than some corruption / insanity points and some temporary effect to keep him out of the fight for a while.

I have to agree with this. He burned a fate point, anything more than 1d10 corruption and 1d10 insanity seems a bit harsh to me.

#10 Bilateralrope

Bilateralrope

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:34 PM

ItsUncertainWho said:

Bazleebub said:

I have to agree with this. He burned a fate point, anything more than 1d10 corruption and 1d10 insanity seems a bit harsh to me.

Agreed. The worst I would do to him is offer him the chance to take the Daemon Vessel elite advance.

#11 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:33 PM

ItsUncertainWho said:

Bazleebub said:

I'd again say that if mere proximity gives 1D10 corruption, 3D10 corruption should be the minimum here. I agree that it's harsh but given that this is what has happened, it would be unrealistic to hand-out less. That's why I above suggested some compensation in return. Perhaps 4D10 corruption and the Unshakable Faith talent?

Alex

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS