concealed pouch question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rexaroo

rexaroo

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:17 AM

can the concealed pouch be targeted by the "shatter" spell?

the concealed pouch says that it cant be "taken" by a spell, but can it be the "target" of a spell?  

the shatter spell says "discard" target object, not "take".  

so does it make it legal to shatter the pouch?

thanks  :)

#2 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:36 PM

I would say not.

The idea behind the Concealed Pouch is that it's, well, concealed and nobody knows you have it.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#3 HallowKnight

HallowKnight

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:27 PM

talismanisland said:

I would say not.

The idea behind the Concealed Pouch is that it's, well, concealed and nobody knows you have it.

Unfortunantly the "idea" behind what something ment, and what it is, is one of the big fun quirks of Talisman.

Just like the Minstral can take the Maiden or Princess. (becasue he can charm the ladies with his music)

So it works for the original set of cards, untill more female followers are added to the game, which he should also be able to take.

Just as an example

#4 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:09 AM

Well with the Minstrel, there is that point, but where does it end?

Even though Talisman takes place in a realm supposedly devoid of "real life" logic, there has to be some basis for decisions being taken.

The argument that you can do something because a the text on a card doesn't specifically forbid it is quite sad really. It certainly detracts from the spirit of the game and can suck the fun right out of it. It is a game after all.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#5 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:25 AM

I have seen a game with fan add ons that falls directly into the scenario HallowKnight mentions. The Minstrel card says explicitly the Maiden and Princess so that's all he can charm (and not the female Sage's Apprentice that came up).  Anything else is an attempt to interpret beyond set game rules and a power grab not in the spirit of the game.

The concealed pouch has caused other problems in my 2e days. One discussion involved a ruling that the only objects (magical especially) that were "active" were ones on the character. If the pouch were on a mule or horse and cart (and especially if it were empty), would it still be concealed? We were never able to reason it out, so we stuck with what was on the card - it can't be stolen, but anything else was allowed when it wasn't "in use" by a character.

Rexaroo... it looks like you'll have to set a house rule of your own agreeable to all members of your group.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS