• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ameritrasher

ameritrasher

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

Turn 1:

Cast temporal warp to take 3 turns in a row. First he rolls a 4 and moves to the hidden valley by casting invisibility to evade the sentinel. He draws a gnome, solomon's crown, and talisman at the hidden valley. Next he rolls for movement again and goes through the portal of power. Since he only rolls one die with the gnome he automatically opens the portal. The last turn of temporal warp is moving to the mines. The solomon's crown gives him a total of 7 craft and the gnome allows him to only roll 2 dice. Now I've played enough games of Catan to know that 7 is a very common number on 2 dice so the wizard shouldn't have any problem beating this.

Turn 2: Since the wizard hasn't lost any lives so far the vampire tower is no threat.

Turn 3: Wizard casts psychic blast and fries the pit fiend without even working up a sweat.

Turn 4. Enter the valley of fire with the protection of the talisman

Turn 5. Waltz right into the crown of command for the win!!!

This does not even count all the other spells the wizard can cast during the two other turns with temporal warp, turn 2, turn 4 and turn 5. He could gain strength with random, heal all his lives, or make other players lose their turn with immobility.

Obviously any character that can win in only 5 turns is totally broken and needs a penalty. If the wizard only started with 2 lives then he would think twice about the vampire tower or maybe even pit fiends before he waltzes right up to the crown of command.

#2 Conejo

Conejo

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:19 PM

"perfect storm" situations are statistical longshots far beyond the scope of your average game.

#3 RiCHiE

RiCHiE

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

We play that with temporal warp you can regenerate spells until after the three turns is up.  That would make the pit fiends harder (fate would help though and possibly increase chances as well), but none the less it EXTREMLY unlikely that it can happen.

Wouldn't it be great if I could pull this off in a game!

#4 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,285 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:15 PM

What's the wording on the Psionic Blast, does it work on just 1 combat or all in a turn? Of course, would be a moot point if the Wizard rolled a 1 for the # of Pit Fiends, but could change things if he rolled a 5 or a 6. I'm too lazy to fish out my cards (and I'm still in BI edition mode, hopefully getting hands on new goodies soon).

After checking the rulebook, which uses PB in on Battle example, it says "until the end of battle". Pit Fiends count as 1 Battle or 1 separate Battle for each Fiend?

EDIT: Also, I see you didn't bother rolling for the Command Spell at all. Given the luck the Wizard had getting there, I'd think the Crown would actually be a replica that just doesn't work (you keep rolling 1-3 all the time)  .

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#5 igfa_277

igfa_277

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:39 AM

Any character that starts with 2 spells can do the same thing as above.  The Wizard has always been powerful but certainly no more powerful than the Prophetess. How often does a character get a Talisman on the first few turns? If a character is going to have lucky rolls they can win the game much earlier than most people probably try. 

#6 Zadok13

Zadok13

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:33 AM

He might be a solid character, but he certainly isn't broken.  I honestly doubt you will see a situation like that again for a very long time or even ever again.  Also I must admit I do think its really cool that this is actually a possible scenario, I really love the crazy things that can happen in this game.

#7 Gentlegamer

Gentlegamer

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:51 AM

You left out the part where I cast Acquisition and take the Wizard's Talisman while he is on the Pitfiends space.

#8 rexaroo

rexaroo

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:25 AM

the prophetess could have done this too.  

and how often will you find the gnome and a talisman together on the same spot (and just before you enter the portal)?  

and you're forgetting the best part of this scenario: if you finish the game that quickly, you have lots of time to play again!!!  :)

#9 rexaroo

rexaroo

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:26 AM

Gentlegamer said:

You left out the part where I cast Acquisition and take the Wizard's Talisman while he is on the Pitfiends space.

we just had that happen the other night!!  very fun!!  

#10 HallowKnight

HallowKnight

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:42 PM

This was actually a constest posted on Black Industries form on this very thing.

How quickly could you win the game with a character.

Dwarf was also a strong character, as he did not need the gnome.  This allowed him to gain another card to boost a stat he needed.

A debate insuded about "Tempral Warp" in that it was declared that this is 3 seperate turns. (card could have said every other players misses there next 3 subsequent turns.

#11 Carrion Prince

Carrion Prince

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:03 PM

HallowKnight said:

This was actually a constest posted on Black Industries form on this very thing.

How quickly could you win the game with a character.

Dwarf was also a strong character, as he did not need the gnome.  This allowed him to gain another card to boost a stat he needed.

A debate insuded about "Tempral Warp" in that it was declared that this is 3 seperate turns. (card could have said every other players misses there next 3 subsequent turns.

Can't the troll basically do the same thing. He has a good chance of beating the sentinel and a decent chance of rolling 2 dice to a 6 or less. I don't remember but does the gnome only work on the craft path or does it work on the strength path too?

#12 RiCHiE

RiCHiE

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:23 PM

Gnome only works with Craft

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS