• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Al-Shamar

Al-Shamar

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:20 AM

Hola,

3rd session of me DW game and already thinks are getting strange!

A Blood Angel is already aquired a fetish for eating unused brains... during a clense of the player's strike cruiser (genestelers had gotten aboard) the BA Librarian decided he wanted to begin munching down  on the steeler grey matter and after the 3rd brain he managed to botch the roll and I had the hive mind control him for a short moment... now he's planning on eating a Tau for the next mission.

Has anyone any thoughts on what would happen if a SM 'over used' this power? Feeling in a wicked mood... 

#2 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:47 AM

Corruption points.

Also look into the addiction rules. 

Brain addiction, there is a term I never thought would be uttered i n any context not involving Illithid or zombies.

#3 Phaedron2

Phaedron2

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:04 AM

This is a great idea, hes like a Space Marine Lictor. Honestly I think this is a very clever way to gain information, and I believe, will be often overlooked. That being said, insanity points may be an interesting counter, much in the same way people who eat parts of a cows nervous system get mad cow disease. As well there could be some roleplay penalties, because while marines may not care, any mortals who are working with them, like stormtroopers, inquisitors or the like, are likely to not understand this and react to it.

Cheers

#4 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:07 AM

Does the Omophagea interface with the unstable DNA of the Tyranids well enough to be usable?

Alex

#5 SpawnoChaos

SpawnoChaos

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:47 AM

ak-73 said:

Does the Omophagea interface with the unstable DNA of the Tyranids well enough to be usable?

Alex

I'm not entirely sure that anything would be learned from eating the brain of a tyranid creature that was not a Hive Node in it's own right. A hormaguant? Nah, they are just drones that take mental commands from the hive mind. A Hive Tyrant? Sure.. they might learn something.. but probably the only thing that they would learn is what the Hive Tyrant experienced before they killed it... 

... which may not have been a whole lot.

Once the tyranids devour the entire planet, all the tyranid warriors, tyrants, etc. are re-absorbed into their base bio-mechanical fuel for the hive fleet. They are re-designed in-orbit on their way to the next planet to better combat their foes, and then they are recreated from scratch to devour another planet. 

So the only memories that a Tyrant may have are these:

1. Being re-born

2. Receiving its directive from the Hive Mind

3. Attack the planet

4. Died at the hands of the Kill Team

#6 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:28 AM

SpawnoChaos said:

ak-73 said:

Alex

I'm not entirely sure that anything would be learned from eating the brain of a tyranid creature that was not a Hive Node in it's own right. A hormaguant? Nah, they are just drones that take mental commands from the hive mind. A Hive Tyrant? Sure.. they might learn something.. but probably the only thing that they would learn is what the Hive Tyrant experienced before they killed it... 

Once the tyranids devour the entire planet, all the tyranid warriors, tyrants, etc. are re-absorbed into their base bio-mechanical fuel for the hive fleet. They are re-designed in-orbit on their way to the next planet to better combat their foes, and then they are recreated from scratch to devour another planet. 

1. Being re-born

3. Attack the planet

How about eating part of the brain of a hiveship?

Alex

#7 SpawnoChaos

SpawnoChaos

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:08 PM

ak-73 said:

SpawnoChaos said:

ak-73 said:

Alex

1. Being re-born

3. Attack the planet

Alex

You would definitely get some useful intelligence out of that, since that is part of the Hive Mind. Perhaps coordination efforts between other hive fleets and an inclining of their strategy. Unfortunately, this information would only be good for so long ( I think this only last 1 hour per INT bonus)... so start writing down that information before you forget! 

#8 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:15 PM

SpawnoChaos said:

You would definitely get some useful intelligence out of that, since that is part of the Hive Mind. Perhaps coordination efforts between other hive fleets and an inclining of their strategy. Unfortunately, this information would only be good for so long ( I think this only last 1 hour per INT bonus)... so start writing down that information before you forget! 

I suppose that would be more practical than have a battle-brother eat a part of your own brain to maintain the data.

Alex

#9 Bilateralrope

Bilateralrope

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:49 PM

SpawnoChaos said:

ak-73 said:

SpawnoChaos said:

ak-73 said:

Alex

1. Being re-born

3. Attack the planet

Alex

You would also need to filter out the hunger so you can get to the useful information.

#10 Al-Shamar

Al-Shamar

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:38 PM

Ignoring the inherent difficulty in getting hold of the brain of a hive ship, I wonder what the side effects would be.

Some knowledge is obvious (being the aim) but insanity would be a big risk as you would be consuming a core part of the hive mind and in a way becoming part of it for a time...

#11 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:04 AM

There are also comprehension issues to consider.

How will a SM understand the knowledge contained in such an alien mind?

I think the further from human you go with a xenos the harder to understand it should get. I would say an Intelligence test should be called for with some penalties when you are dealing with something that alien.

Consuming a Tyranid brain should probably include some corruption points. Tyranid tissue may try to adapt, absorb, or become a part of the new devourer. 

#12 Hardrainfalling

Hardrainfalling

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:04 AM

what the player really needs is some fava beans and a nice chianti to go with the brians :)

I would say this tactic may be more risky for a librarian than say an apothecary as it could let the hive mind into the pskyer which could be very bad indeed

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS