• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:39 AM

I got a little spendthrifty today and picked up a couple terrain bits.  Since Empire is so forested and so many scenarios take place in cities/towns as murder mysteries, I always keep some buildings and trees around and pick up peasants when I find them (Reaper and Scene Setters).

I'm not good at painting the buildings however. Just painting the toll house that comes with the tower was a chore.   Thankfully CONFLIX has prepainted buildings.

In regards to game play, I typically just drop the card down wherever the engagement is, but I was thinking of making a battle standard that can hold the card to mark engagement areas.

Any of you have any thoughts on mini's and terrain to make your games more visual?

jh

#2 schoon

schoon

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:51 PM

Well, given that WFRP3 uses abstract distance measurement, it actually makes it easier to use terrain (either from the tabletop game, or from any other source.

However, the sheer number of possible locations does make storing said terrain a challenge (even if many of the items can double as several possible locations).

I'm a bit fan of using visual elements in games, so I'm all for this.

I'd say that the Watchtower (or something like it) would most likely give you the most bang for your buck, and that some sort of manor- or couch-house would be a close second.

#3 ErrantThought

ErrantThought

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:50 AM

While I do like some of the plastic scenery they do take up a lot of room, however the new Dreadstone Blight looks intriguing.

Despite the quality of some plastic terrain lately I find myself drifting towards card stock terrain, in particular the sets offered by WorldWorks Games. I find  the TerrainLinx series of products in particular quite appealing and the quality of the patterns is as good as I have ever seen. Cardstock might take a bit more effort but the results, I think, may be worth it.

regards,

ET

#4 NezziR

NezziR

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:58 PM

He's right, the tower and the other GW terrain is beautiful. It's also expensive and labor intensive to paint. I finished one of the towers a while back.

#5 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:23 AM

Good paint job.

I've been buying the CONFLIX midievel houses.  About $20 u.s. which is cheap for a prepainted house.  The GW stuff runs that much and more plus you've got to paint them.

www.legends-in-time.com/Main.jsp

#6 HedgeWizard

HedgeWizard

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:26 AM

Man, if I could pick these up pre-painted as nicely as the demo pics are, I would ****** a few up for sure. 

#7 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

Nothing beats dwarfen forge.  Their midieval building set is outstanding.  

I like their woodlands set as well, but it  is very specialized when compared with just throwing some model-train lichens on the table and a location card :)

jh

#8 monkeylite

monkeylite

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Here's some of my WW terrain and minis. if you're interested:

http://tewblogger.blogspot.co.uk/

#9 skavenmatt

skavenmatt

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:31 AM

I really like these ideas. I play warhammer fantasy battles so I already have miniatures and terrain all over the place. I'm a big big fan of the fortefied manor house, they get more expensive every day it seems though. I recommend buying them used or through online warehouses as GW's retail prices are getting further and further from reality all the time. Seriously, their business model is something like: oh, our sales are going down, time to release a new armybook or codex to boost sales and increase the price of a 12 dollar book to 50 dollars, that wont make more customers downloaf pdf's instead of buying the books for sure.

something like those stands you see in restaurants holding up promotional cards should work fine for location cards also, a stand with a 3 sided frame and the card just slides in from the top. plus it'd be easy to make with popsicle sticks or something similar inexpensively. those terrain pictures are all beautiful btw, thanks for sharing them with us. mine are all still grey plastic :/ I have alot of the old cardstock terrain they'd print and put in white dwarf also, they seem to hold out pretty well for me.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS