Photo

Blackshield player advice on how to handle this?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hardrainfalling

Hardrainfalling

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:25 AM

okay one of my players wants to play a blackshield apart from Fallen using dark angels what do people suggest?  I have tried to stir him away from librarian as that could be the hardest to do, ideas ? advice?

#2 CrystalNinja

CrystalNinja

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:10 AM

I'd take away their Chapter Trapping and not have them take a character background.

#3 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:30 AM

I always read into the idea of the blackshield as being a catch all way of allowing even the most out there/pseudo traitor/mysterious backgrounds. The basic idea is that pretty much, no matter what, they're admitted without question.

I'd let them go for it, have the player make their own background, make sure they're not mary sue'ing it too much, and just treat em as any other player. Have their superiors act slightly aloof around them, but leave the bulk of any RP on the subject to the players. Mechanically, have them a chapter they are most like, or have them find a custom one online. I would not "punish" them for this decision (I disagree with the above idea of taking away the chapter trapping). If they want to be a member of the Fallen, then just have them use the DA profile. If they really want to flesh it out differently, there is stuff in the house rules subforum that might be useful.

Regular imperial citizens shouldn't be able to tell the difference, probably even higher ranking imp officials. Probably the big =I= and the watch captains have even a remote clue as to the implications of a blackshield.

#4 Delahunt

Delahunt

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:48 AM

Are they a blackshield from one of the chapters in the book? Or from a dead chapter?

If they're from a random chapter, they'd probably not have chapter specific squad mode/solo mode abilities which could hurt, as well as the chapter specific XP chart.

Otherwise, they'd lose chapter trappings, and just go from there like any other character.

#5 FatPob

FatPob

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:21 AM

Give them no stat mods, not chapter codex abilities, no chapter based skills/talents and importantly no background at all.  His day starts when he enrolls at WF Erioch.

Once they start earning XP in the Kill team, allow them to spend 800 XP to pick up other chapters squad abilities.  What he loses in creation is more then made up with this option as he will be able to eventually act as a second marine of all the chapters.

#6 decPL

decPL

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:43 AM

One problem with allowing the Fallen to keep his original trappings/psychic powers/abillities is that those would paint a big bullseye on his forehead once shown/used (and letting him keep those without being able to reasonably use them is a bit cruel).

Also, in my opinion, a Black Shield Librarian would probably be mind-scanned extremely thouroughly due to the dangers usanctioned psykers can cause (and, unlike for 'regular' Librarians, there is no chapter to vouchsafe for him). On the off-chance that he really is a loyalist AND without chaos taint, I can imagine the off-chance that someone making a decision to allow him to join Deathwatch would know about the DA and the Fallen (without being a DA himself) and would keep it secret - otherwise he wouldn't last long...

All in all a cool idea, but requires a bit of thought and preparation on both the GM's and player's side to make it work (unless you ignore most of the fluff - but I guess playing a Fallen just wouldn't be fun anymore).

#7 Decessor

Decessor

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:20 PM

DA Trappings are an incredible no-no, but not for mechanical reasons. If he's a Fallen and has figured out enough to make his way to a Deathwatch watch fortress, the character would surely realise the danger he's in of discovery and would surely be smart enough to hide or disguise himself accordingly. Perhaps an alternate trapping more appropriate to a wandering ronin is in order.

A Fallen would likely have the same stat bonuses (their geneseed is the same so long as it's not mutated) but a very different Chapter advance set (that one is largely influenced by 10,000 years of hunting Fallen). The powers might be different as well, 10,000 years is a long time to develop codex and dark angel powers. The primarch's curse is an interesting one. It depends on how secretive and paranoid you view the pre-heresy DA. Of course, centuries in real-time on the run might have engendered a paranoid streak in this Fallen.

#8 Hardrainfalling

Hardrainfalling

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:56 PM

thanks folks the player has gone for a librarian from a non traitor chapter but with good background and plot for him being black shield ,  I have decided to go with letting him use one of the chapters in the book with a few tweaks to gear that give subtle clues to his chapter

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS