Photo

Final Sanction, Extraction, Oblivions Edge.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Warhawk X

Warhawk X

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:18 AM

This being the Gamemasters section of the forums I figured I would post what I am doing with the premade campaigns here.

As most of us already know Final Sanction and Oblivion's Edge are already linked with some really good writing, however I felt the need to make good use of the printed Extraction already in the book and tie it in with these other two missions.

How I am running this is actually quite simple, my players will begin going through Final Sanction starting this Friday and will complete it as normal. Continuing on from there I will do the first segment of Oblivion's Edge up until Hit and Run.

During the Hit and Run portion of the campaign instead of the captain suggesting weaking targets, he will feed the players a distress signal from an the start of extraction stating that a planet within the same system has just been overwhelmed by the advancing invasion, however an ordos xenos inquisitor has sent a distress signal and activated a beacon with information about the advancing hive fleet.

Now of course my players may opt out of attempting to fly into or near the swarm for this information, however if they decide to do so, run the extraction mission as normal, and simply add the objectives into the overall objectives of Oblivion's Edge, and return them to the Emperor's Wrath once the mission is over.

With the inquisitor now on board the players and NPC's may gain some significant insight into what the tyranid hive fleets numbers are like and how to identify key targets among their number, or something to that effect.

#2 mac40k

mac40k

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:51 AM

I don't see why you can't just make Extraction one of the Imperial Operations on Avalos. It doesn't have to be another planet. It already seems to be a combination of an Evacuation and the Seize and Secure Operations. Recovering the data/Inquisitor yields Tyranid Intelligence. I don't see what harm relocating Extraction to an outpost on Avalos far from Lordsholm has. Furthermore, it keeps the PCs focused on the fate of Avalos. If they have to go off to another planet, even one in the same system, the pressure to defeat the horde before Avalos is doomed seems lessened, since traveling to another planet and back would just feel like it should take longer than a rescue mission to a backwater part of Avalos.

#3 Warhawk X

Warhawk X

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

A very valid point, and I agree wholeheartedly. I decided based on reading your post to change some of the written text in extraction to convey a smaller scale of doom at the conclusion of the mission say a portion of a continent is being swarmed as the invasion begins.

#4 Sanguinary Priest

Sanguinary Priest

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:10 PM

i did extraction first and am doing final sanction next.  i figure the magos' data reveals that the next tendril of the hive fleet is heading towards the planet (can't recall the name at the moment) in final sanction/oblivion's edge.  my inquisitor NPC will use the data and send one of his interrogators to the planet to prepare them for the invasion; the interogattor will then uncover the genestealer plot already present and that's where the DW players come in.

#5 Tattoedbikerdude

Tattoedbikerdude

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:40 AM

Great idea guys!

I'm considering running Extraction before Hit and Run, and basing it on Avalos with Vyakai's information leading to vital information for Hit and Run.

The information on the Datacore could be iformation which helps with the destruction of the hive shp.

#6 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:03 AM

Tattoedbikerdude said:

Great idea guys!

I'm considering running Extraction before Hit and Run, and basing it on Avalos with Vyakai's information leading to vital information for Hit and Run.

The information on the Datacore could be iformation which helps with the destruction of the hive shp.

I do it the other way around: the PCs are going to collect some of the Hive Fleets genus and the Tech Magos will have been using their data (among others). To me that seems to ensure some vested interest in retaining the data for which they will have had to work hard before.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS