• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rex Tan

Rex Tan

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

Narrow Escape
Any Phase: Put into play from their owner's dead piles or discard piles all characters that were killed or discarded from play this phase. Any opponent may discard his or her hand of at least 1 card to cancel this effect.

If I discarded a duplicate to save a character, can I use Narrow Escape's ablility to return this character into play and to be a new duplicate?

I have two confuses:
1. Duplicate is not character, Narrow Escape note "...their owner's dead piles or discard piles all characters ..."
2. Discard a duplicate is a save action, its cancel kill or discard. Narrow Escape note "...that were killed or discarded from play this phase..."
so, we are arguing this duplicate can be returned via Narrow Escape.

If so, we have another question.
If we have multi-copies of this character in dead pile or discard pile in this phase, when I simultaneously put them into play, can I decide which one will be a character, and which one to be a duplicate?

Thanks a lot

#2 Rogue30

Rogue30

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:50 PM

I think you can't put into play discarded duplicate, since it was duplicate (not character). Similarly you can't put into play Missing Recruit, since it is not character now.

As for different copies, I think the owner decides which copy will be duplicate.

#3 Uncle Joker

Uncle Joker

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:25 PM

I think it is ok for duplicates come back to play by narrow escape.

Duplicate has no title, no crest, no text box, but it is still a character anyway.

#4 Rogue30

Rogue30

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:35 PM

Uncle Joker said:

I think it is ok for duplicates come back to play by narrow escape.

Duplicate has no title, no crest, no text box, but it is still a character anyway.

The point is, it was discarded as duplicate not discarded as character.

#5 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:17 AM

Rogue30 said:

The point is, it was discarded as duplicate not discarded as character.
Correct. The new entry in the FAQ makes it clear that character cards that were not in play during the phase are not returned to play. As far as the duplicate is concerned, it was not a character while it was in play (its only identity was as a dupe). It doesn't become a "character" again until the card is in your discard pile. Since it wasn't in play as a character, Narrow Escape will treat it the same way it will treat a character card discarded from your hand or deck that phase (and not put it into play).

#6 FATMOUSE

FATMOUSE

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:20 AM

Then would Reinforcement characters return with Narrow Escape?  While they aren't character cards in your dead or discard pile, they are killed or discarded as characters, or do they not return do to an "identity crisis"?

#7 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:46 AM

FATMOUSE said:

or do they not return do to an "identity crisis"?
That would be the one.

There are essentially 2 requirements for Narrow Escape to apply to a card in your dead and/or discard pile:

1. It has to be a character card

2. It has to have been in play as a character during that phase.

Most cards fail on #2 (cards discarded from hand or deck, dupes, etc.). The Reinforcement events would fail on #1.

#8 Bolzano

Bolzano

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:18 AM

@ktom: I don't understand very well condition #2. Shouldn't it be "It has to have been in play"?

On what basis can we say for sure in play AS a character?

#9 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

Bolzano said:

@ktom: I don't understand very well condition #2. Shouldn't it be "It has to have been in play"?

On what basis can we say for sure in play AS a character?

My Robert Baratheon dies with Banner for the Storm attached to him as a an attachment. During the same phase, I discarded a dupe on Melisandre to save her from being discarded. Someone plays Narrow Escape. Neither Banner for the Storm nor the dupe of Melisandre (both character cards that entered my discard pile this phase) are returned to play. Why not?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS