Photo

"Knocking" someone through a teleporter in DM and CTF?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 A. Harbinger

A. Harbinger

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:38 AM

I was thinking about the knockback-ability of the rocket launcher the other day and was asking myself... would it be possible, to use this to force another marine through a teleporter in a Deathmatch or Capture The Flag-game? For example, if a marine stands one space away from a teleporter, you knock him back one space on the teleporter and one space "through" it... From a thematic point of view it would make sense (thinking about all those times in UT where someone threw me through a teleporter with the rocket launcher)...

#2 shnar

shnar

• Members
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:59 AM

Hm, I'm not sure. Here's the relative rules:

=====================

Teleporters
Teleporters allow instant movement from one
part of the board to another. By using a single
space of movement, a marine (but not an
invader) may move from a space containing
a teleporter to any space containing another
teleporter of the same color.

A marine may move via teleporter even if the
other end of the teleporter has not yet been
revealed. In this case, the new area is immediately
revealed by the invader player (see
Exploring, pg. 9). If the new area is not yet
connected to the rest of the map, simply keep
the two parts of the map separate until an area
is revealed that joins them (assuming one
exists).

Knockback
After inflicting at least 1 damage to a figure with a knockback
attack (and after applying any wounds), the attacker
may immediately move each affected target figure up to 3 spaces
away from its current location. The figures must be moved to empty
spaces, although these spaces may contain damaging obstacles or
other non-blocking tokens, such as equipment. This “knock back”
movement is not blocked by any intervening figures or obstacles
(though it cannot be moved through a closed door or wall).

(from the official FAQ)
WATCHFUL VS. KNOCKBACK
When a figure is moved past a figure with Watchful by means
of Knockback, the Watchful figure only gets a “free” attack
for the final space that the Knockbacked figure ends up in.
The figure doesn’t actually pass through the first 2 spaces
when hit with Knockback.

======================

The last sentence from the FAQ makes me think that you can't, since you don't actually "pass through" the first 2 spaces, so you cannot move through the teleporter. But I can't say that's a solid interpretation and could see it argued both ways.

-shnar

#3 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:58 AM

shnar said:

The last sentence from the FAQ makes me think that you can't, since you don't actually "pass through" the first 2 spaces, so you cannot move through the teleporter. But I can't say that's a solid interpretation and could see it argued both ways.

I would agree with your interpretation.  From what I can tell the marine is not affected by anything in the spaces he moves through, only the space he lands in.  In the video game teleportation was involuntary as soon as someone stepped on the pad, but in the board game it costs a movement point, which requires the figure to interact with the space.  You could a figure in the space of the teleporter, but you couldn't force him to go through it.

#4 A. Harbinger

A. Harbinger

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:36 PM

Steve-O said:

In the video game teleportation was involuntary as soon as someone stepped on the pad, but in the board game it costs a movement point, which requires the figure to interact with the space.

Hm, that's open to interpretation, I'd say. From the LoS-rules I'd get the impressions that the relation between figure-sizes and space-sizes isn't exact. So I'd guess that the teleporter-marker doesn't cover the whole space but signifies that there is a teleporter somewhere on that space. Well, either way, I guess that's something the playing group has to decide for themselves, both points have valid arguments in my opinion. I think the possibility to knock someone through a teleporter allows some nifty strategies with telefraging and stuff, but... oh well.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS