Jump to content



Photo

WoW WWI Minis Series 3: Defects or variations?


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tinweasel

Tinweasel

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:07 AM

I have bought all the new series 3 minis, but I'm really not sure whether two of my models are damaged/defective or intentionally different.

First, there are the three Nieuports. Two of them have an MG on top, one (Kibanov's) doesn't. Is that intentional? In the pictures posted today by FFG, the Kibanov model also looks like it was missing an MG.

Second, the RE 8s. Two of them have a bit of plastic representing the engine glued onto the nose, one (the Belgian plane) hasn't. Is that intentional or a defect? What is the reason behind these variations? 

If there is anybody who could clear this up, please help! 



#2 csadn

csadn

    Member

  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:38 PM

Tinweasel said:

First, there are the three Nieuports. Two of them have an MG on top, one (Kibanov's) doesn't. Is that intentional? In the pictures posted today by FFG, the Kibanov model also looks like it was missing an MG.[/quote]

Not all Nieuport 17s had a Lewis gun on the upper wing -- later models had a synchronized Vickers on the cowling.

IIRC, Lewis guns were also hard to come by in Imperial Russia, so Klibanov's likely wouldn't have one.

Tinweasel said:

Second, the RE 8s. Two of them have a bit of plastic representing the engine glued onto the nose, one (the Belgian plane) hasn't. Is that intentional or a defect? What is the reason behind these variations?

Different models of "Harry Tate" had different exhaust-pipe configurations -- the Belgian unit likely had shorter ones than the "pipe organ" stacks on the British acft. (I can't be sure, but I think the Belgians used a different engine entirely -- the RE8's stock engine was Rubbish.)



#3 Tinweasel

Tinweasel

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:08 PM

Great, thanks a bunch! So it seems that my models are ok after all.



#4 csadn

csadn

    Member

  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:03 PM

Tinweasel said:

Great, thanks a bunch! So it seems that my models are ok after all.

Ironically, FFG's attention-to-detail does tend to cause folks to wonder "is this mini FUBARed?" :)



#5 Peppermeister

Peppermeister

    Member

  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:21 AM

csadn said:

 

Different models of "Harry Tate" had different exhaust-pipe configurations -- the Belgian unit likely had shorter ones than the "pipe organ" stacks on the British acft. (I can't be sure, but I think the Belgians used a different engine entirely -- the RE8's stock engine was Rubbish.)

Thanks!  I was wondering about the Belgian R.E.8.  I had noticed the difference in the pictures, but haven't gotten the one I ordered yet.  Does it have any visible exhaust pipes?



#6 csadn

csadn

    Member

  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:29 PM

Peppermeister said:

Thanks!  I was wondering about the Belgian R.E.8.  I had noticed the difference in the pictures, but haven't gotten the one I ordered yet.  Does it have any visible exhaust pipes?

No idea -- I haven't received mine yet, either. However, I have studied the Actual Acft., which is how I know these things. :)



#7 aarondpjames

aarondpjames

    Member

  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:12 AM

Wow! When these guys make the models, they really do do there research dont they!



#8 csadn

csadn

    Member

  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:25 PM

"Does 'anal-retentive' require a hyphen?" :)

Of course, if they *hadn't* gone to that level of detail, they'd be catching ack-ack for Inaccuracy, so.... :)



#9 aarondpjames

aarondpjames

    Member

  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:24 AM

Yeah, fair one. But even so, the level of attention to detail is great. It would of been so easier for them to produced three identical models and  given them different paint schemes. As it is, Ricthoffens Roland is slightly different to the other 2, and there are different engine exausts and top machine guns on the series 3 models. Fantastic!



#10 Peppermeister

Peppermeister

    Member

  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:44 AM

Took a look at the R.E.8s at a shop today.   The British R.E. 8s have the organ pipe exhausts.  The individual cylinders are evident on the engine.  The Belgian aircraft has no pipes, and the engine does not have any cylinders visible - it is smooth.  It does have the triangular scoop on top, though. Is this what the Hispano-SUiza engine looked like?



#11 csadn

csadn

    Member

  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:05 PM

Peppermeister said:

Took a look at the R.E.8s at a shop today.   The British R.E. 8s have the organ pipe exhausts.  The individual cylinders are evident on the engine.  The Belgian aircraft has no pipes, and the engine does not have any cylinders visible - it is smooth.  It does have the triangular scoop on top, though. Is this what the Hispano-SUiza engine looked like?

I think it's more to do with the tendency for the "organ pipes" to collapse under hard maneuvering, and someone not wanting to futz with them any more.



#12 Angiolillo

Angiolillo

    Member

  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:14 AM

The Belgian Re8 can be seen at the Royal Army and Military History Museum of Brussels.

Happy flights!

Andrea

(picture by Gerald M. Zabos quoted on Boardgamegeek at this thread).






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS