Jump to content



Photo

The Talented Mr Space Marine


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lacey

Lacey

    Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:49 AM

Im sure it's proberly me just being think, but if I don't ask I will never know and how will i every get any smarter.


What is confusing me is the Chapter Advances of ‘Talented’, more precisely the Talented (Pilot [Personal]) as all I wont to know if I would be able to spend some of my starting xp on this skill even though I don't have Pilot [Personal] (either as basic or trained lvl).


I hope that makes senses, as all I really won’t to do is give my Blood Angel Librarian a jump pack.
 



#2 KommissarK

KommissarK

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:11 AM

Technically, I don't think it is available at rank 1 for anyone but assault marines (the first pilot(any) advance being located at rank 3 general table). Talented has the skill itself as a prereq. Basically, either:

A. you don't start off with it, but can work into it

B. You beg your GM for an elite advance

 

As a GM, I would allow a librarian to do this, but have them trade in a starting psychic power for the skill (to represent a greater focus on training with the jetpack, rather than improving their powers).



#3 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

    Playtester

  • Members
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:30 AM

Blood Angels can start off Talented in it though, which even if you end up having to halve your Agility, you still get +10 to the roll.


~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

 

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.


#4 decPL

decPL

    Member

  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:35 AM

MILLANDSON said:

Blood Angels can start off Talented in it though, which even if you end up having to halve your Agility, you still get +10 to the roll.

Except that, unless you house-rule it, Pilot is an Advanced skill.



#5 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

    Playtester

  • Members
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:54 AM

Well yes, but I don't see a problem with giving a Space Marine Pilot (Personal) and Pilot (Ground Vehicle) as basic skills, since they do train at least a little with those pieces of equipment.


~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

 

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.


#6 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

    Member

  • Members
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

KommissarK said:

Talented has the skill itself as a prereq.

Are you sure?


Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

 

Now Ignoring: Nobody.


#7 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

    Playtester

  • Members
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

HappyDaze said:

KommissarK said:

Talented has the skill itself as a prereq.

 

Are you sure?

He's not, because it doesn't. There is no requirement for the Talented... well, talent.


~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

 

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.


#8 KommissarK

KommissarK

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:26 PM

Yeah, sorry, assumed that without reading (or at least, I thought thats what the mechanic was in DH/RT), and didn't check the book when I said it.



#9 decPL

decPL

    Member

  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:47 PM

MILLANDSON said:

Well yes, but I don't see a problem with giving a Space Marine Pilot (Personal) and Pilot (Ground Vehicle) as basic skills, since they do train at least a little with those pieces of equipment.

I agree with the former - it's just that it's not RAW; for the latter - SMs get Drive (Ground Vehicle) as a starting skill, so no problem there at all :)



#10 broutefoin

broutefoin

    Member

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:44 AM

I have a question similar to this,

For the Apothecary, it's listed that they start with Medicae as a trained advanced skill, which I understand as meaning that the skill is Trained, not Basic.

Now, the issue I am having is with the Rank 1 and Rank 2 advancements, Rank 1, Medicae 400 XP, if I were to buy that, would the Medicae skill on my character sheet go up to +10? Is the skill just listed there for redundancy/make your own specialization?  Should it in fact be a +10 to Medicae, then Rank 2 has Medicae +10  for 400 XP, would that translate as +20 total if I purchased both?

hopefully it was explained well enough, I just need someone else's take on this.

Thanks.



#11 Xarlaxas

Xarlaxas

    Member

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:56 AM

You only get the +10 or +20 bonus by buying the specific upgrade that is called [Skill] +10  or +20.



#12 decPL

decPL

    Member

  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:48 PM

broutefoin said:

I have a question similar to this,

For the Apothecary, it's listed that they start with Medicae as a trained advanced skill, which I understand as meaning that the skill is Trained, not Basic.

Now, the issue I am having is with the Rank 1 and Rank 2 advancements, Rank 1, Medicae 400 XP, if I were to buy that, would the Medicae skill on my character sheet go up to +10? Is the skill just listed there for redundancy/make your own specialization?  Should it in fact be a +10 to Medicae, then Rank 2 has Medicae +10  for 400 XP, would that translate as +20 total if I purchased both?

hopefully it was explained well enough, I just need someone else's take on this.

Thanks.

You might want to check the Duplicated Skills and Talents info on page 59.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS