Jump to content



Photo

You know those "Cave-In"s that are like ... double "Cave-In"s.


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mpokorny

mpokorny

    Member

  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:58 AM

 

Playing another DQ crawl yesterday and my adventurer wandered into a Cave-In Chamber.   Upon pulling the Dungeon Card, I pulled the Cave-In Event Card.

Naturally, on my next turn, I wanted to press forward and not backtrack.

So, in this situation to cross the Cave-In Chamber, do I have to pass two separate Agility Tests (one for the Chamber and the other for the Card) or just one?

 

The pertinent text from the Chamber description "...If you attempt to cross the cave-in, test Agility.  If you succeed, you cross the cave-in and continue your turn as normal.  If you fail, you become trapped and must stay in the chamber...."

The pertinent text from the Card "... At the start of each of your turns, test Agility to cross the cave-in.  If you succeed, ... continue your turn...  If you fail, your turn immediately ends."

 

It seems to me that two separate tests are required.   

Thoughts?

--mike

 



#2 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

    Talisman Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:54 PM

If you move onto a Cave-In tile and you draw a Cave-In card, you only need to test your agility once to continue moving forward next turn. This works in exactly the same manner as passing through 2 doors on adjacent tiles!!!

Elliott.



#3 SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen

    Member

  • Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:04 PM

talismanamsilat said:

If you move onto a Cave-In tile and you draw a Cave-In card, you only need to test your agility once to continue moving forward next turn. This works in exactly the same manner as passing through 2 doors on adjacent tiles!!!

Elliott.

Not sure I agree with you here. There are two things that are happening. The tile and the card... If it was anything else on the card you would have to encounter that separately. Just because it is two similar events - does not therefore mean only one check would be required.

One is a tile - the other is a card - you must roll and encounter and pass both of them to move forward.



#4 SinisterCheshire

SinisterCheshire

    Member

  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:58 AM

SoylentGreen said:

talismanamsilat said:

 

If you move onto a Cave-In tile and you draw a Cave-In card, you only need to test your agility once to continue moving forward next turn. This works in exactly the same manner as passing through 2 doors on adjacent tiles!!!

Elliott.

 

 

Not sure I agree with you here. There are two things that are happening. The tile and the card... If it was anything else on the card you would have to encounter that separately. Just because it is two similar events - does not therefore mean only one check would be required.

One is a tile - the other is a card - you must roll and encounter and pass both of them to move forward.

I think this is probably correct. Although, I suspect that once you pass the card related cave-in, it's done and out of the way even if you fail the tile cave-in.



#5 SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen

    Member

  • Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:38 AM

SinisterCheshire said:

SoylentGreen said:

 

talismanamsilat said:

 

If you move onto a Cave-In tile and you draw a Cave-In card, you only need to test your agility once to continue moving forward next turn. This works in exactly the same manner as passing through 2 doors on adjacent tiles!!!

Elliott.

 

 

Not sure I agree with you here. There are two things that are happening. The tile and the card... If it was anything else on the card you would have to encounter that separately. Just because it is two similar events - does not therefore mean only one check would be required.

One is a tile - the other is a card - you must roll and encounter and pass both of them to move forward.

 

 

I think this is probably correct. Although, I suspect that once you pass the card related cave-in, it's done and out of the way even if you fail the tile cave-in.

Yes - you would be right. If you pass the conditions on the card - yes - the card is discarded and conditions are met. And unfortunately you cannot discard a room. :)



#6 Steve-O

Steve-O

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:51 AM

I'm inclined to agree with Soylent Green.  Just my two cents.



#7 LivinItUp

LivinItUp

    Member

  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:24 AM

mpokorny said:

 

Playing another DQ crawl yesterday and my adventurer wandered into a Cave-In Chamber.   Upon pulling the Dungeon Card, I pulled the Cave-In Event Card.

Naturally, on my next turn, I wanted to press forward and not backtrack.

So, in this situation to cross the Cave-In Chamber, do I have to pass two separate Agility Tests (one for the Chamber and the other for the Card) or just one?

 

The pertinent text from the Chamber description "...If you attempt to cross the cave-in, test Agility.  If you succeed, you cross the cave-in and continue your turn as normal.  If you fail, you become trapped and must stay in the chamber...."

The pertinent text from the Card "... At the start of each of your turns, test Agility to cross the cave-in.  If you succeed, ... continue your turn...  If you fail, your turn immediately ends."

 

It seems to me that two separate tests are required.   

Thoughts?

mike

 

I encountered this same scenario in one of my games.  At first, I was confused and had thought I only needed to resolve one of the cave-ins.  But then I remembered the "Start of Turn Effects" section of the manual (page 27), which is what the Cave-In Dungeon Card is, and realized I first needed to resolve it before continuing my turn, which would be to resolve the Cave-In tile.



#8 argente

argente

    Member

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:10 PM

Wow!

Real nasty situation there.  Really ugly.

Soylentgreen is right, I think.  After all, you could decide not to cross the room (and so, not be affected by the room effect), but the card would still be there affecting your hero. 



#9 keltheos

keltheos

    Member

  • Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:26 PM

 LivingitUp has it. We always play that you have to resolve outstanding cards before you handle any tile effects.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS