• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zozimus

Zozimus

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:13 AM

Hi,

Haven't actually played the game yet, though I've been poring over the manual and the forums.  Just wondering why there are two Location cards for Castle Dracula, one with the typical reverse image and one with two pictures of the castle (on either side).  From what I understand, the card is open for viewing by all hunters -- in that case, why is there a "hidden" version, with the normal Location card back?  I'm sure this is addressed somewhere, but I haven't seen it.   Thanks!

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play. - Heraclitus

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,127 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

My only guess is that the normal card (Castle Dracula printed only on one side) is given for deck completion, while the second one (both side printed with Castle Dracula) is the one you should normally use. There is no reference in the rules to the different meaning of the two cards (or at least, nothing I've ever noticed)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Zozimus

Zozimus

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:28 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the answer...but my comprehension isn't up to it, I'm afraid....  :(

What does "deck completion" mean?  Do you mean in terms of confusing the hunters or something?  Would having CD visible in your hand make it too easy to tell what you're up to?  Or do you mean something else? 

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play. - Heraclitus

#4 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,127 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:44 PM

Sorry if I was not clear... I think the single-sided card exists only to avoid that a location on the map is not represented on a card in the location deck; whenever Dracula decides to go to Castle Dracula, he might chose to play face-up the card in the location deck, or the special double-sided card. But this is just a speculation of mine, I haven't found anything at this regard, and I can't imagine why a duplicate does exist. Simply remember to play it face-up, and that's it

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#5 Zozimus

Zozimus

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:32 PM

Cool.  Thanks!  Glad I'm not completely out to lunch here.  It wouldn't be the first time I'd missed an explanation in an FFG rulebook!  

#6 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,127 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:11 PM

Zozimus said:

Cool.  Thanks!  Glad I'm not completely out to lunch here.  It wouldn't be the first time I'd missed an explanation in an FFG rulebook!  

If this can be of any help, I believe most of the FFG rulebook I've read are very badly written. Not as badly as other things I've read (for example, 1853... the game is divided into phases, and the phases are described on the very last page of the rulebook, so you keep on reading about phase changes, wondering what you have missed since nothing has sense... until you discover the basics of the game in the last page), but nonetheless they're not very well organized. The only FFG game I played so far with rules very well written was A Game of Thrones.

#7 kilrah

kilrah

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:24 PM

IIRC correct my copy had a note stating that the single sided card is a misprint and the fixed double sided card is included.

#8 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,127 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:42 PM

It has sense. Thanx ::smiling::

#9 RedShark92

RedShark92

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:59 AM

kilrah said:

IIRC correct my copy had a note stating that the single sided card is a misprint and the fixed double sided card is included.

This makes sense. My set only came with the double-sided version so I probably have one from a later run where this was corrected.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS