Imperial Navy Internal Structure

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wu Ming

Wu Ming

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:33 AM

I'm looking for information regarding the internal structure of the IN, in general and in specific to BFC, any information, links or refrences (books, articles, page numbers ect.) would be greatly appreciated. Mostly I'm interested in knowing the ranks, COC, and basic command and logistical structure and operational procedures of the IN as established in existing 'official' sources. Thanks in advance, for any help rendered.

#2 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:38 AM

Wu Ming said:

I'm looking for information regarding the internal structure of the IN, in general and in specific to BFC, any information, links or refrences (books, articles, page numbers ect.) would be greatly appreciated. Mostly I'm interested in knowing the ranks, COC, and basic command and logistical structure and operational procedures of the IN as established in existing 'official' sources. Thanks in advance, for any help rendered.

The novel Relentless, by Richard Williams (who also contributed towards Liber Chaotica: Khorne, and whose next novel, Reiksguard, apparently used the WFRP sourcebook Sigmar's Heirs as a resource on the differences between the people of each province - so he told me when I met him in June) sheds some light on the internal workings of an Imperial Navy cruiser, as does the accompanying short story ("Mortal Fuel", which depicts a world now bereft of resources being officially abandoned by the Imperium) in the compilation Planetkill.

Overall, though, you can't go far wrong by looking for inspiration from the Royal Navy in the 18th century (albeit scaled up to accomodate ships with crews in the tens or hundreds of thousands, with a bit of carrier warfare and submarine warfare thrown in for good measure).

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#3 Da Boss

Da Boss

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:21 AM

The Battlefleet Gothic rulebook pages 86, 87  (illustrations p 89-90) describes the basic structure and ranks - free download still I think at GW site?

it has ranks, command structure and ships per sector battlefleet etc..........

may have it already but its a good place to start?

#4 Alasseo

Alasseo

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:41 AM

It may also be worth reading the novels Execution Hour and Shadowpoint by Gordon Rennie. Aside from that, I recommend asking on Port Maw. I'll also agree with the recommendation that 18th Century RN is a good place to look for background.

There is also a few useful pieces in Crossfire, and some of the Gaunt's Ghosts stories, although not much.

There is no right, and no wrong, but having the bigger stick makes it so...

#5 Wu Ming

Wu Ming

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:41 AM

Yeah, although I have BFG I've never played it really wasn't my cup of tea, are you refering to the picuture that has the officers from the Divine Right? I was unsure if that was just typical to the Ship or the general rule I'll check again but I remeber most of the non-mechanics material pertaining to the Crusade in the Gothic Sector than anything else I think there was a single page devoted to the Imperial Navy (at large) and teh reast is specific to the setting for the game, the ships ect. 

I'll look through again, could be I've overlooked something. Thank you both though. Interestingly enough, Nathan, Relentless seems to be 'Sold Out' from the BL Site although I'm sure I can get a second hand copy for a lot less. Also if anyone has done any work fleshing out the BFC for their games and wouldn't mind sharing I'd be happy to see that as well.

Also Alasseo might Port Maw be a BFG website? Simmilar to Warseer or B&CS? Link? Or is it as easy as Port Maw . com?

EDDIT: It was. Thanks. I feel st00pid.

#6 Alasseo

Alasseo

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:48 AM

Yup, 'tis a good site- http://portmaw.com

There is no right, and no wrong, but having the bigger stick makes it so...

#7 Dezmond

Dezmond

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:02 AM

I rather like the fluff from the Advanced version of Space Fleet (predecessor to Battle Fleet Gothic) published in white dwarf.

Seems to be mirrored here:-

http://www.gamehobby...pace_fleet.html

--

Eriks BFG rant:-

I wish they had kept the basic ship being called a battleship instead of a cruiser. Battleships are ships that can stand in the line of battle. Cruisers are ships which cruise about on their own protecting or attacking commercial shipping.

#8 Wu Ming

Wu Ming

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:18 AM

Thank you Dezmond, that was rather helpful. I was half expecting a post with pictures or videos of Imperial Ships of the Line but was pleasently incorrect. Thanks for the link. The section regarding travel times would also be quite helpful in the thread regarding Warp Travel and time.

#9 Dezmond

Dezmond

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:03 PM

I could do you some Jes Goodwin Imperial Navy concept art:-

Actually, reading the text of the top one is interesting, both for the force field the officer going down stairs is using, and for what it implies about the importance of dueling to the Navy.

http://www.dakkadakk...ttach/2174.page

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS