Monk inner belief ability...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 playdead

playdead

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

Hi, All! This caused some confusion in our first revised 4th ed. game today. Monk's card reads "Your inner belief allows you to add your Craft value to your Strength during battle".  Monk starts the game with a Craft of 3. This IS his "Craft value", right? A "battle" is defined as an enounter involving STRENGTH, right?

SO his ability would affect STRENGTH combats, in which he would receive a +3 for the entire game (other Craft increases and bonuses would not count), yes?!? I felt badly for the fellow who was playing the Monk in our game as he just wasn't able to grasp this. THAT'S assuming that I'm RIGHT here!!!!!!!!! Or do I have it goofed up myself?!?

Thanks for your help!

#2 akuma508

akuma508

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:56 PM

I belive you are correct.

#3 Gentlegamer

Gentlegamer

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:11 PM

You are 100% correct. Craft value is what is printed on the character's card (along with Strength value, Fate value, and Life value). The Monk essentially receives a permanent +3 to attacks in Battle.

#4 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:08 AM

I see our group wasn't the only one that was confused by the "value" term in relation to the Monk.

#5 Nale

Nale

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:57 AM

So wait that means the monk doesn't add his additional Craft to his attack in Strength based battle. Wow thank god that makes the Monk alot more balanced. I played against a monk last night and we were adding his total Craft to his strength. He ended up being over 20 strength doing this and won the game because of it. I'll have to tell him about it later.

#6 myomer

myomer

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:18 AM

Nale said:

So wait that means the monk doesn't add his additional Craft to his attack in Strength based battle. Wow thank god that makes the Monk alot more balanced. I played against a monk last night and we were adding his total Craft to his strength. He ended up being over 20 strength doing this and won the game because of it. I'll have to tell him about it later.

Yeah we played it that way too but at least it's cleared up; still an interesting character, the Monk, just not overpowered in late games anymore.

#7 ameritrasher

ameritrasher

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:32 PM

JCHendee said:

I see our group wasn't the only one that was confused by the "value" term in relation to the Monk.

You need to download and read the updated rules. The chart that comes with the upgrade expansion only covers some of the new rules. The new rules clears up the new wording.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS