• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 miles601

miles601

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

Hello,

I'm sure this question comes up all the time.  I'm trying to decide my next gaming purchase.  I am a big fan of Runebound, DungeonQuest, and Arkham Horror.  In addition to being great to play in a group, I really value how easy they are to play solo for times when I have a few hours to game but no one around (Runebound isn't inherently meant as a solo game but I was able to find a nice online guide to adapt it easily into a solo game).  I have read the Talisman rule book, spent some time looking over the game, seems like a nice purchase.  I'm sure it will be great when my regular group gathers but what if any value does it have as a solo game?

Thanks!

#2 Zozimus

Zozimus

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

In my opinion, it has a low solo potential.  Most of the fun is in the interactions between characters, especially near the end.  I love the game, but think it would suffer without the backstabbing and tabletalk.  I do love playing where we just adventure around a lot, and this part could be done fine alone (I guess), though it kind of takes away from such game parts as the Toads, the Reaper, and many others.  Still, when the game was ready to wind up, I think it'd be anticlimactic without opponents.   

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play. - Heraclitus

#3 Felis

Felis

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

Never tried this but I would imagine you could play it solo. You can even play  chess solo . It would probably resemble a very complex solitare. With my style of play - adventuring, it wouldn't be much of a difference. But for me the best part of the game is interaction with other players, if not characters. It's hilarious when everybody is cheering Str 1 Goblin you're just fighting

In addition - it takes some time to actually set everything up, but that would be true for any board game.

On the positive side - huge stack of Adventure cards would make for great replayability even in solo games. So, if you like to just wander around, kill monsters and gather treasure it might work (I would just modify carrying limit which is four Objects by default).

#4 nodgenesor

nodgenesor

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:47 PM

I've been able to play Talisman 2nd ed solo for a long time. If you make it character vs character & play to type it is achieveable. The major drawback is spell casting; offensive spell casting against other characters is almost non existant (which takes away some of the fun) & the Prophetess' special ability to see other characters spells is completely negated.

Otherwise, it's worth a try IMHO.

#5 miles601

miles601

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

Thank you for the honest responses.  I think I'll give the game a try knowing that its not best sited to solo play.  I'm sure it'll still be a hit with group play!

#6 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:07 AM

HI MIles... as old players of Talisman back to 2E, I have to agree others that it would be tricky to play solo without some major modifications... such as culling the spell deck to remove spells only usable against other players... I mean characters... sort of.  It has been replaced by Runebound recently in my circle, but we still play it as the shorter intermission game between sessions of Runebound, trying to get into Arkham, and other games.  It is light and entertianing... and its quick than most other games, if that's critical to you as an option in the range of games you want to play.

#7 miles601

miles601

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:16 AM

Nice to hear about the relative quickness of the game.  Right now the 3 games in my rotation are DungeonQuest, Runebound, and Arkham Horror and they play in that order from shortest to longest.

#8 yyami

yyami

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:47 AM

I ordered some card sleeves recently, and the idea of sitting there sleeving the main game + 4 expansions diddnt sound fun, so i set up a 5 character solo game with all the expansions included, and as each card is drawn, it gets sleeved !

Only problem is, I  have it on the living room floor, the whole thing, and its taking a bit longer than I was antisipating, and I still have a hell of a lot of cards unsleeved !!!

For the solo game itself, its kind of fun, spells might as well just be displayed face upwards, you just have to empathise what each character would do and play them as if you had no idea what other character might do. Its the first time I played the Highlands, and it does appear to be a great place to go in the early parts of the game, although even with 5 players, the simple existence of the extra boards has limited the player/player interactions.

I suppose in solo play thats not so important, but it has kind of reinforced my long held belief that multi-board play reduces the player/player sitiations and in turn reduces the very things that make this a great multi-player game. 

#9 NickelPlate

NickelPlate

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:13 PM

Sleeving the cards for the entire game with expansions was tedious but I was able to do it in an evening.

As for solo play, I actually enjoy sometimes just playing solo with one character and seeing how the cards unfold and trying to get as powerful as I can before getting to the crown of the command. I've tried soloing with as many as four characters but it gets cumbersome trying to keep track of them all and who has what spells but it can be done.

#10 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:43 PM

I do recall that when I sleeved my Arkham Horror's 691 small cards in one go, took about 3 hours. Talisman has more by now, but not that much more.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#11 CobraCommander

CobraCommander

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:52 AM

I sometimes playtest characters solo only playing one guy and tracking turns to see how long it takes me to win.

#12 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:42 AM

Are there more people here, who play talisman solo?

I mean with one character..

Just curious about it.

#13 TalismanAttack

TalismanAttack

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

JCHendee said:

I have to agree others that it would be tricky to play solo without some major modifications... such as culling the spell deck to remove spells only usable against other players... I mean characters... sort of.

Why not just draw another card if you pick one up that can only be used against characters, or requires multiple characters? You don't need to hassle so much.

#14 gedasm

gedasm

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:54 AM

I played few times alone for 4 chars. I am owning game from ~Dec2011. Wanted to play so much, wanted to test some ways. Interesting.

I remember my youth, there was no computers and internet. I had a lot of boardgames. some of them I made even myself. Especially liked my version of monopoly :) But if to go back to question: yes, I played mostly solo. Thats is nothing wrong to play against great brains like myself :)

#15 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

gedasm said:

I played few times alone for 4 chars. I am owning game from ~Dec2011. Wanted to play so much, wanted to test some ways. Interesting.

I remember my youth, there was no computers and internet. I had a lot of boardgames. some of them I made even myself. Especially liked my version of monopoly :) But if to go back to question: yes, I played mostly solo. Thats is nothing wrong to play against great brains like myself :)

So you play solo with 4 characters? That would be too much work for me.

I am already thinking if it is possible to use only one character...

#16 Nihilant

Nihilant

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

I used to play 2nd edition solo with one character 25 years ago. :)
Then, it was quite enjoyable and I usually discarded every spell and events that interacts with other players.

#17 chemical22

chemical22

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

It's a lot of setup for one person and for me, the game is all about the interaction with other players. I couldn't fathom going to the trouble to try it solo and don't think you would get much out of it.

If you are looking for a better solo talisman experience, perhaps you should try the digital edition.  It has most of the glamour of the board game, with no setup time and an AI (or online players) to play against.

#18 rfisha

rfisha

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:54 AM

You could try to play against the clock (number of turns) and once that time frame has expired start rolling as if someone was on the crown of command.  Start with 50 turns.

#19 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

...the original post was in September 2010...

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#20 BatHead

BatHead

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:55 PM

So what? It's still a valid subject.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS