Photo

Do you draw a catacomb card the turn you enter?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Reaper Steve

Reaper Steve

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:51 AM

The topic title is the basic question, but here's my over-analysis:

Under "Encounters in the Catacombs" on pg.21, it states "a Hero in the Catacombs must draw a Catacomb card at the start of each of his turns." (emphasis mine.)

Since the player has already started his turn and done any "start of turn" effects before choosing to search, move, or enter the catacombs, I figured that a player would not draw a Catacomb card the turn he entered it. He would just swap his figure with his travel marker and that would be it.

"Start of Turn Effects" even have specific clarifications on pg. 27. The second paragraph shows that drawing a Catacomb card is clearly a "start of turn" effect (but it happens after the others are resolved.)

I think this supports my reasoning that you don't draw a Catacomb card the turn you enter them. That said, I hope my interpretation is wrong. Playing that way doesn't feel right and it's difficult to explain to a person why they don't draw a card that move. Any other action results in a card or tile: Move: Draw a tile and/or a Dungeon card. Search: draw a Search card. Enter Catacombs: no card this turn (?)

So, do I draw a Catacomb card the turn I enter the catacombs? I hope the answer is yes. But "yes" may need errata/clarification support.

Thanks,

#2 SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:51 AM

Ummm... I don't have time to check the rules exactly right now - BUT - I believe that the events proceed like this:

Explore and place a new tile - you take an encounter card and find catacombs.  On your next turn you may choose to enter the catacombs...

Next Turn - you go into the Catacombs and start pulling catacomb cards.

That make sense? That's how I've read and played it.

#3 DoomTurtle

DoomTurtle

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:30 AM

I also play that you don't draw a card the turn you enter the catacombs, as the rules seem to imply.  Not only does it help balance extra movement as you surmised in the other thread, but not every dungeon tile has you drawing a card either.  If you come upon a bridge, you do not draw a card at all.  And if you fail at crossing, you also end up in the catacombs without having drawn a card.  I think it works fine that way.

#4 SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:32 AM

Yeah - I also think the wording on the actual cards will help direct you to what you are supposed to do. Like I said - I don't have time to actually look at the cards right now - but if I recall the cards seemed to be really clear as to how to proceed into the catacombs.

#5 Siphonen

Siphonen

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

If you are not in the catacombs at the start of your turn, then you can not draw a catacomb card.

You have to choose one of the following actions: Move, Search, Enter Catacomb (if there's a catacomb entrance).

By choosing to enter the catacombs you have spent the start of your turn by making the "Enter Catacomb" action. Once in the catacomb you will draw a catacomb card at the start of your turn.

My answer is no, because you have spent an action and it's not at the start of your turn anymore, you put the travel marker, and your turn is over.

"[...] When a Hero encounters a Catacomb Entrance chamber or a dungeon chamber with a catacomb entrance marker, he finds a path down to the Catacombs. The Hero must encounter the chamber as normal, drawing a Dungeon card and resolving it as usual. However, on the Hero's next turn, he can choose to enter the Catacombs instead of moving or searching. Rulebook, Catacomb Entrances, Page 21"

"[...] a Hero in the Catacombs must draw a Catacomb card at the start of each of his turns. Rulebook, Encounters in the Catacombs, Page 21"

#6 SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:49 PM

Siphonen said:

If you are not in the catacombs at the start of your turn, then you can not draw a catacomb card.

You have to choose one of the following actions: Move, Search, Enter Catacomb (if there's a catacomb entrance).

By choosing to enter the catacombs you have spent the start of your turn by making the "Enter Catacomb" action. Once in the catacomb you will draw a catacomb card at the start of your turn.

So are you suggesting that it is:

Turn 1 - enter and encounter dungeon tile... see that it is an "enter the catacomb on next turn card if you want to" card - end of turn

Turn 2 - enter the catacombs - end of turn

Turn 3 - draw first catacomb card

I could have seen either way - (and am actually editing this because I deleted my argument for a 2 turn encounter (turns 2 and 3 being combined)) but after reading how you EXIT the catacombs - I feel it is the 3 way.

Top of page 22 - in both instances when a hero exits to an explored space OR and unexplored space - you first move into the space (after exiting the catacombs) your turn is immediately over - and on your NEXT turn you encounter the space.

So yes - I was going to argue that it was a 2 turn into exploring the catacombs - but I - along with Siphonen believe it to be 3 steps as I simplified in Turn 1 - 2 - 3.

#7 keltheos

keltheos

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:44 PM

I've always assumed the 'enter the catacombs' portion of the rule takes the place of the normal 'move' you'd do, so here's how we play it:

1. Enter room with catacomb entrance, encounter room as normal.

2. next turn, enter catacombs (move), draw catacombs card as normal.

#8 SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

keltheos said:

I've always assumed the 'enter the catacombs' portion of the rule takes the place of the normal 'move' you'd do, so here's how we play it:

1. Enter room with catacomb entrance, encounter room as normal.

2. next turn, enter catacombs (move), draw catacombs card as normal.

That's how I played it too... But I am leaning towards the three step - now that it has been pointed out in the rules the way it has been.

#9 Reaper Steve

Reaper Steve

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:28 AM

Played again last night, using the 3 turn method that I think the rules support.

1) find entrance, 2) descend, 3) draw Catacomb card.

All 3 players visited the catacombs, some twice. This method continued to work fine. I agree with Doom Turtle that this entry method mirrors the exit method (you don't draw a Dungeon the turn you exit the Catacombs.)

Also, this was the 1st game (out of 4) with a winner! My son also made it out of the Dungeon (by the skin of his teeth!), but without having visited the Treasure Chamber. Seven other adventurers have fallen to the dungeon's perils: 2 are in a bottomless pit, one fell to a demon (with one space to go to exit), one was eaten by a giant centipede, another is now lurking in the Catacombs as a Vampire spawn, one was killed by a trap of poisonous snakes, and I can't remember the other right now.

Overall survival rate: 2/9! Awesome!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS