Can Trolls Cast Spells?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GreenWizard

GreenWizard

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:59 AM

I am new to DQ and so far find it to be a lot of fun. My only confusion so far is that heros/monsters gain abilities during combat that they may not normally have? Why would a troll be able to use a magic card from the combat deck?  Is there something I am missing?

#2 Siphonen

Siphonen

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:16 PM

Yes, trolls can cast spells, to be exact anyone can use any combat card from his/her hand.

What defines each enemy and hero besides the attributes are the selection of power cards - each one have their own selection of these that they randomly choose in the beginning of their very first round in a combat.

#3 GreenWizard

GreenWizard

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:45 PM

Siphonen said:

Yes, trolls can cast spells, to be exact anyone can use any combat card from his/her hand.

What defines each enemy and hero besides the attributes are the selection of power cards - each one have their own selection of these that they randomly choose in the beginning of their very first round in a combat.

Thanks for your reply.

I did see in the directions about the power cards and that according to the directions everyone can use any card from the combat deck. It's just that traditionally certain characters would only act a certain way. They describe trolls as powerful and clumsy. I image them as not having the intelligence to use spells. Or maybe Gherin being a cleric would mainly cast spells and maybe a little melee when necessary. I can certainly see past this for the fun of the game it just caused me to pause for a second and wonder why the game would go this way.

#4 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,606 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:16 AM

GreenWizard said:

I did see in the directions about the power cards and that according to the directions everyone can use any card from the combat deck. It's just that traditionally certain characters would only act a certain way. They describe trolls as powerful and clumsy. I image them as not having the intelligence to use spells. Or maybe Gherin being a cleric would mainly cast spells and maybe a little melee when necessary. I can certainly see past this for the fun of the game it just caused me to pause for a second and wonder why the game would go this way.

Most trolls might be too stupid for spellcasting, but that one obviously wasn't.  Surprise!

In some games this sort of situation might bother me, but in DQ it's just one more random crazy twist on the rollercoaster ride toward your (nearly) inevitable death. =)

#5 Gamelore

Gamelore

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:44 AM

Sadly, these options were all melee in the first version of DungeonQuest.  "Slash", "swing" and "mighty blow" were replaced with "magic", "ranged", and "melee" so the game could be put nicely in the Terrinoth world.  Also, all the mostly orcish monsters were replaced with demons, trolls, etc, again to use Terrinoth monster types (rather than adding new ones).  Hence, magic-using trolls, and meleeing sorcerers.

However, there were also no trolls in the original.  They probably wanted to increase the ratio of green-colored monsters to more closely match the original by using trolls, but IMHO an enemy type that shouldn't cast magic shouldn't have been picked.

As a side note, the monster types in this version are ridiculously over-the-top.  Huge demons and golems really take me out of the game.

#6 Siphonen

Siphonen

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

In order to keep the immersion I would simply imagine a scenario where a troll, or any other creature that normally can't use magic within the standards of the universe. For me it would be something along the lines "The monsters of Dragonfire Castle - the servants of the almighty Dragon Lord Kalladra has been imbued with magic to give any adventurer a worthy, and formidable challenge. Only a true hero would survive the petty challenges of the Dragon Lord."

I see no issues with the Ranged, melee, magic representation of attacks even though the picture of the monster does not illustrate any ranged equipment or intellect to cast spells, all you have to do is imagine. However, I'm going to point out that I know nothing of Terrinoth so that might be why I can't find any immersion breaking issues with it. :-)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS